#3L in Antique Bone - any insight ?

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
Brumbydownunder

#3L in Antique Bone - any insight ?

Post by Brumbydownunder »

G'day All,

Just picked up this S&M (File and Wire) #3L in antique bone with a couple of features I've not seen before.
The Jimping on top of the blade and extensive engraving on the inside of the brass liners.

If anyone can throw any additional information at me such as a rough year it was made, why the internal engraving etc, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit, I checked in with the original owner who tells me it was bought new from TSA in 2013.
It could have sat on a shelf at Queen or TSA for years of course but it's an indication at least.

Thanks Derek
DSCN0862 (2).JPG
DSCN0863 (2).JPG
DSCN0864.JPG
DSCN0868 (2).JPG
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
Greenman

Re: #3L in Antique Bone - any insight ?

Post by Greenman »

G’day, Derek.

This is only a guess, but I wonder if your S&M #3L’s liners were made from leftover patterned (stamped) brass handle material from Queen’s ‘Executive Series’ of penknives that were made for a relatively short period in the late 1990s. If that be the case, my best guess is that your knife was either made during the last year or two before Queen’s permanent closure, or that it was assembled after the factory closed with parts purchased from the factory bankruptcy liquidation auction.

I’ve included an image from the 1998 Queen Cutlery catalogue, courtesy of the ‘Queen Cutlery History’ website, of a page depicting the ‘Executive Series’ of penknives. I’ve also included a link to said webpage.

68A5A9B8-6F4B-4EFC-B892-4D083E7A6B42.jpeg

Link: https://queencutleryhistory.com/wp-cont ... g-1998.pdf

Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
Brumbydownunder

Re: #3L in Antique Bone - any insight ?

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Thanks Very Much Josh - great info

Edit, I checked in with the original owner who tells me it was bought new from TSA in 2013.
It could have sat on a shelf at Queen or TSA for years of course but it's an indication at least.

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”