Rough Ryder imitation tortoise shell

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Beavertail

Rough Ryder imitation tortoise shell

Post by Beavertail »

Just saw that SMKW have these.
I really like these, no R on the bolster and I'm digging the shield.
Attachments
rr2438_web-06.jpg
Tim
Dan In MI

Re: Rough Ryder imitation tortoise shell

Post by Dan In MI »

The full compliment of imitation tortoiseshell:

https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/resu ... r+Tortoise

I can only hope they're not celluloid. And the Moose is said to have clip and sheepsfoot blades, but the secondary looks nothing like a sheepsfoot to me. What might one call such a blade? (Apologies for the screen shot; I couldn't get the image to open in a new tab.)
Screenshot_20220806-145001_Chrome.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Beavertail wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:06 pm Just saw that SMKW have these.
Another beautiful RR series Tim. Love the new turtle shield and I do not miss the Humongous bolstered Rs .

Smkw also has 4 new 'Stoneworx' series knives out. Nice! Pinched bolsters, no R on bolsters like their last Stoneworx series.

I think both of these series will sell very fast?

2022-08-07 (7).png
2022-08-07 (6).png

The 'Knife Gods' made me purchase them last week. Should arrive Wed.? Free FedEx snail mail.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Old Folder wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:41 pm
Beavertail wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:06 pm Just saw that SMKW have these.
Another beautiful RR series Tim. Love the new turtle shield and I do not miss the Humongous bolstered Rs .

Smkw also has 4 new 'Stoneworx' series knives out. Nice! Pinched bolsters, no R on bolsters like their last Stoneworx series.

I think both of these series will sell very fast?

2022-08-07 (7).png2022-08-07 (6).png

The 'Knife Gods' made me purchase them last week. Should arrive Wed.? Free FedEx snail mail.

Dan
Now those do look nice! ::tu::
Tim
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

What’s in a name? Rough Ryder bow trapper is self explanatory but traditionally I thought it was a sowbelly. How about an inexpensive miracle? After ordering I hoped reality met expectations, it has. 4” of beauty. Nice size, good looking clip point with some stunning faux tortoise shell with one of the best looking shields I’ve seen in a while. Of course it came with a typical Rough Ryder scary sharp blade. I’ve been drooling over Fontenille-Pataud’s capuchadous and Case’s saddlehorns but finances have kept me from scratching that itch. Rough Ryder cured that problem. Now, to get it in other handle covers.
Attachments
D5F54821-F6FF-4E8F-95F4-D8E74E5C27C9.jpeg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I bought one with black synthetic handles, and they really do feel good in the hand. Better than a traditional trapper in many ways.
I haven't gotten it out in a long while, but I think that mine was a two-bladed version.
As far as the name, different manufacturers give their patterns different names all of the time. Even the old traditional pattern names sometimes vary between collectors. There are some that are standards, but some you just have to "go with the flow" and think of it as more of a nickname than a set of absolute rules.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

They're really good looking knives. I noticed that they slightly upgraded the steel to 440B as well. Not a huge change but still nice.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The current 440B tortoise shell series are described as celluliod in multiple SMKW ads.

So many manufacturers including RR name their ~ 3 3/4" knives Sowbelly that RR was wise distinguishing their 4" Bow Trapper with a different name. Also, the majority of sowbellys pivot blades on both ends which the RR Bow Trapper hasn't done yet and the Bow Trapper is more curved.

I'm another member who would not have named the up swept curved blade in the Moose pictured above a spey but I like the 4 3/8" version of the pattern. Unfortunately SMKW website gives their Stoneworx 3.5" Moose the larger Moose dimensions. Consequently I wound up with a small moose. Oh well. I was going to try a small one a couple years ago so I could write I've finally gotten around to it.

The current Stoneworx series have as many as three real clam shell stripes. Some, like the Copperhead, have no real shell. If how many real shell stripes the knife has matters to you shop carefully.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”