Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
TPK

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by TPK »

cbay wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:43 pm These mini trappers are a testament to how great the quality can be on pocket knives. Despite my blade wobble obsession every one of them are solid as a rock. 15 for 15 ain't bad. Hard to put the black pearl series in my pocket though.
Very nice looking Trapper Chris! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I'd like one with a gorilla head on it!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

zed6309 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:25 am
Madmarco wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:20 am
zed6309 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:58 pm

It definitely would be nicer without the R bolster, a shield would of looked nice as well :D
I agree, I was so concentrated on the R bolster I didn't even notice it has no shield! 8)
A nice shield would of looked great on this knife, I might make one and fit it ::tu::
Sounds like a plan! Please be sure to post pics if you go ahead with it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TripleF wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:51 am I was toting this beast last week
Heavy duty lookin' knives Scott! ::tu:: As nice as the Rem bowie is, the RR Coal Miner with the big cotton sampler blade is outstanding! Great covers too! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:01 pm Here is the same 3 1/4" double lockback, single spring Canoe but with Rough Rider branding. Great inlay of Eagle in 'strike position'.
That's all for now.
kj
All sensational Roland! ::tu:: Tell me if I have this right, the silver inlays are aftermarket work done by the silversmith you bought them from? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:58 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:01 pm Here is the same 3 1/4" double lockback, single spring Canoe but with Rough Rider branding. Great inlay of Eagle in 'strike position'.
That's all for now.
kj
All sensational Roland! ::tu:: Tell me if I have this right, the silver inlays are aftermarket work done by the silversmith you bought them from? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
Yes, that is correct. But it was 10 or more years ago and he has long since disappeared from ebay.
kj
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:43 pm
zed6309 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:25 am
Madmarco wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:20 am
I agree, I was so concentrated on the R bolster I didn't even notice it has no shield! 8)
A nice shield would of looked great on this knife, I might make one and fit it ::tu::
Sounds like a plan! Please be sure to post pics if you go ahead with it! 8)
Will do ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:23 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:58 pm
That's all for now.
kj
Yes, that is correct. But it was 10 or more years ago and he has long since disappeared from ebay.
kj
Got it, thx! 8)
8)
cbay

Post by cbay »

Thanks Tom. :)
Amazing knives there Roland. When a guy spends that much time and skill doing that on them he doesn't do it on a knife that's not worthy... Another testament to the quality right there.
Chris
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:48 pm
TripleF wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:51 am I was toting this beast last week
Heavy duty lookin' knives Scott! ::tu:: As nice as the Rem bowie is, the RR Coal Miner with the big cotton sampler blade is outstanding! Great covers too! 8)
Thanks!! ::handshake::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That Coal Miner is a fine looking knife, Scott. Looks tough! That old Remington has a very cool blade. A relic of a bygone century ...
Mel
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

It has been a while since I posted a new knife of mine in this topic. I did get a new one today: A RR lockback. I wanted a new knife to replace the Case fish knife that I currently use to cut bait when I am fishing. The case is a few years old and had just lost all snap. It never had a lot of spring, but now it just has none.

Anyway, I like the blade shape of this RR for cutting fish and stuff so I will see how it does. I would have preferred a synthetic handle over wood since the knife will be in salt water a lot, but maybe it will prove tough.
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
I cannot recommend this knife to any younger members of the forum. It is only for those fellows who have completed their families!
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
The fit and finish seem petty good. I like the brass hardware. Opening and closing are fine for me, though I am guessing that some folks (like my wife) would say that the lock is too hard to depress.
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
My opinion is that this knife is a very nice knife to put to rough use in salt water. (It is going there anyway!)
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
Overall, the knife is 3 7/8 inches closed. The blade is 3 inches. Note that the blade pretty much fills the blade well, lengthwise. One thing I hate is a knife where the handle is so big that it could hold a bigger blade than the one installed.
Attachments
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
Mel
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dinadan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:53 pm It has been a while since I posted a new knife of mine in this topic. I did get a new one today: A RR lockback. I wanted a new knife to replace the Case fish knife that I currently use to cut bait when I am fishing. The case is a few years old and had just lost all snap. It never had a lot of spring, but now it just has none.

Anyway, I like the blade shape of this RR for cutting fish and stuff so I will see how it does. I would have preferred a synthetic handle over wood since the knife will be in salt water a lot, but maybe it will prove tough.
Rough_Rider12.jpg
I cannot recommend this knife to any younger members of the forum. It is only for those fellows who have completed their families!
Rough_Rider13.jpg
The fit and finish seem petty good. I like the brass hardware. Opening and closing are fine for me, though I am guessing that some folks (like my wife) would say that the lock is too hard to depress. Rough_Rider18.jpg
My opinion is that this knife is a very nice knife to put to rough use in salt water. (It is going there anyway!)
Rough_Rider16.jpg
Overall, the knife is 3 7/8 inches closed. The blade is 3 inches. Note that the blade pretty much fills the blade well, lengthwise. One thing I hate is a knife where the handle is so big that it could hold a bigger blade than the one installed.
I've looked at these before Mel, but I must say your pictures certainly show the knife much better than the online pics! It's a fine solid looking folder. I'll bet those wood covers will hold up nicely under salt water exposure! Great catch! A blade too short for the well is also a pet peeve of mine, why couldn't they have simply made it the correct length! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dinadan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:53 pm I did get a new one today: A RR lockback.
I really like the looks of that one and I bet it will serve you well... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for the comments, David and Marco!
Mel
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just picked up this Wharncliffe Trapper.Carbon steel blades with half stops. Not pretty but a good work knife. ::tu::
wharncliffe Trapper.jpg
wharncliffe Trapper.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:50 am Just picked up this Wharncliffe Trapper.Carbon steel blades with half stops. Not pretty but a good work knife. ::tu::

wharncliffe Trapper.jpg
Nice! ::tu:: The Wharncliff blade looks great on that knife! 8)
8)
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:50 am Just picked up this Wharncliffe Trapper.Carbon steel blades with half stops. Not pretty but a good work knife.
That does look like a good work knife, Nev. Those are some of my favorite handles for a real work knife.
Mel
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Dinadan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:33 pm
Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:50 am Just picked up this Wharncliffe Trapper.Carbon steel blades with half stops. Not pretty but a good work knife.
That does look like a good work knife, Nev. Those are some of my favorite handles for a real work knife.
Thank You. ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just added these to the "Acorn Shield" group.
Attachments
Rough Ryder RR2158 Doctor Knife - Labeled.JPG
Rough Ryder RR2162 Leg Knife - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

That Doctors knife is a sweet little knife plus it's got an acorn shield, which I'm a sucker for. ::tu::
Tim
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Beavertail wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:33 pm That Doctors knife is a sweet little knife plus it's got an acorn shield, which I'm a sucker for. ::tu::
I'm quite pleased with it.
SMKW still has them in stock. $24.99 but of course that does not include shipping & Tax.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Samb

Post by Samb »

Grindworx.com has quite a few Rough Rider knives at very reasonable prices if anyone is interested. Just type it in the search.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice, Jerry! I especially like the leg knife.
Mel
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just got these two. carbon steel blade. and one stainless steel. ::tu::
Rough rider lockbacks.jpg

Nev-52

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”