Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Madmarco »

ebrandwein wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:53 pm This is my first and oldest Rough Rider. Still uses the old name spelling, no half stops either. Scrimshaw is done by Donna Wilcox of Maine. Picked it up in the souvenir shop of a maritime museum in Bath, Maine close to twenty years ago. I didn’t know a thing about knives at the time but I liked the way it looked. The 440a holds an edge pretty well though. Walk and talk are just eh and there is one tiny gap between the liner and a spring but this is really just a $20 regular Rough Rider (Ryder) so I can live with that. I carried it daily for about ten years in a small leather sleeve and still do so once a week these days. I think I got my money’s worth.
Wow! ::woot:: If that's how it looks after 10 years you'll definitely get another 10 out of it, ::nod:: and yes, you got your money's worth! Very nice oldie but goodie! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

ebrandwein wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:53 pm This is my first and oldest Rough Rider. Still uses the old name spelling, no half stops either. Scrimshaw is done by Donna Wilcox of Maine. Picked it up in the souvenir shop of a maritime museum in Bath, Maine close to twenty years ago. I didn’t know a thing about knives at the time but I liked the way it looked. The 440a holds an edge pretty well though. Walk and talk are just eh and there is one tiny gap between the liner and a spring but this is really just a $20 regular Rough Rider (Ryder) so I can live with that. I carried it daily for about ten years in a small leather sleeve and still do so once a week these days. I think I got my money’s worth.
All those Rough Ryders from that era up till a few years ago, were just great value, well made sharp out of the box knives. Yours is a beauty. ::tu::
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:18 am Thanks Phil,
I have RR Sunfish with a similar handle, but with strange green tone :) .
I haven't encountered those Sunfish designs from RR before. They look terrific!
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

My latest Rough Ryder scrimshaw sunfish. This one is done by Linda Layden. This pattern from RR is really an excellent canvass for this sort of artwork
Attachments
FE20EFBC-4BED-47EB-9CBD-74E9B262BDA8.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

ebrandwein wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:28 am My latest Rough Ryder scrimshaw sunfish. This one is done by Linda Layden. This pattern from RR is really an excellent canvass for this sort of artwork
::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I'm really enjoying your scrimshaw knives. They look excellent. Fine acquisitions ebrandwein.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

ebrandwein wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:28 am My latest Rough Ryder scrimshaw sunfish. This one is done by Linda Layden. This pattern from RR is really an excellent canvass for this sort of artwork
That sunfish is a mighty nice knife, Ebrandwein! I really like that scrimshaw.
Mel
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice! ::tu:: Excellent scrim! 8)
8)
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

Haven’t carried this whittler for a while.
Attachments
7BC1560F-DB82-4289-9779-B3C53182584B.jpeg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Found these at the flea mkt. today.
Attachments
20220514_111527.jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Beautiful looking knives bighomer, great find... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

These 'older' Rough Rider knives were always well made and with super sharp edges.
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I had not purchased any knives lately as USPS stop shipping to Australia due to Covid.
I purchased these few Rough Ryders of the bay and they were send using Asenda. It only took sixteen days to arrive.

Grant
Attachments
67CC4E6D-4376-4E22-9DE9-BE268A79A8CC.jpeg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very nice looking collection, Shearer.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes, very nice indeed! ::tu:: There's a couple in there I haven't seen before! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's a fine group Grant. Glad to see you're able to get some acquisitions without my assistance. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:30 pm That's a fine group Grant. Glad to see you're able to get some acquisitions without my assistance. :mrgreen:
Thanks Jerry
Jerry I thought it was about time I tried without the assistance from the man of wisdom from this site (Obi-Wan Kenobi ) :D ::tu::
We are heading into winter and it's one of those wet years we don't get to often.

Grant
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:18 pm A very nice looking collection, Shearer.
Thanks Quick Steel
I like the sway back and the blue and red trappers.

Grant
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Shearer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:34 pm I had not purchased any knives lately as USPS stop shipping to Australia due to Covid.
I purchased these few Rough Ryders of the bay and they were send using Asenda. It only took sixteen days to arrive.

Grant
How do you get stuff sent through Asenda???
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

cudgee wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:12 am
Shearer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:34 pm I had not purchased any knives lately as USPS stop shipping to Australia due to Covid.

Grant
The seller from Ebay ( weaim2pleez ) used Asenda.
When the parcel goes through customs they put a Australia Post stick on it. The Australia Post sticker has send by DAI Post.

Grant
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Shearer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:29 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:12 am

Grant
The seller from Ebay ( weaim2pleez ) used Asenda.
When the parcel goes through customs they put a Australia Post stick on it. The Australia Post sticker has send by DAI Post.

Grant
Thanks, don't know if it helps much, but i will keep your info in mind. ::tu:: weaim2pleez are an absolute pleasure to do business with. ::nod::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Grant
Nice to see that you were able to score some knives. I have one of those mushroom knives: kind of a cool knife even though I have never used it to harvest any wild mushrooms.
Mel
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I’ve never chimed in here, but I’ll add my less than 2 cents worth. Actually I’m a fan of the turquoise and similar “decorative” knives, and although all of these are not Rough Riders, many of them are. Of course, all are China made. Actually I don’t use any of them - just enjoy the “look.” Some feel great and well made. Others are pretty weak. But for the price, I’m not complaining. I can’t afford the $300-$400 and up for Yellowhorse knives, so these make an acceptable alternative. And, BTW, I’m sure I’m not buying any fewer USA made knives because I have these.
Attachments
105362D4-C37D-4829-BF8F-A63A0ABFFEB3.jpeg
DD26BCA7-E84B-4172-BEDF-7CC6E7607469.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Super nice Tim! And who cares if they're not all Rough Riders, they're colorful and look teriffic all together like you displayed them. If I'm not mistaken, the knife at top-left/first picture is from their "Southwestern" series, yes? I only have the Dr.'s knife from that series but I really like it. This really goes to show you don't need to spend a fortune to have a great display of cool knives! 8)
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Nice group photo tvic!
I sometimes buy Chinese-made knives as well (because I am a cheapskate!), and most of them are well made. I carry a Frost-made knife most every day for work, because I sometimes use it in a way that is borderline abuse, and I will NOT subject my good old US knives to that kind of treatment.
These in your photo are not a style that appeals to me, but that is the great thing about having so much variety in pocket knives - there is something for everyone!
Glad to see you post them, and to know you enjoy them. Keep on collecting!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”