Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Madmarco »

Awesome looker Tim! ::tu:: That knife is another one I'd love to see with a spear-point blade instead of the clip-point, along with the gunstock frame I think it would look great! That's not to say your knife doesn't look teriffic now, I'm just very biased toward certain features that I find attractive! Enjoy your new knife! 8)
8)
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

This just arrived yesterday. RRR015. I’ve always been a huge fan of Sunfish/Elephant Toe knives. This one is the best I’ve seen yet. There are no gaps or blade centering/play issues at all. Walk and talk are terrific. Very sharp right out of the tube. Contrary to the description on SMKW, the blade isn’t just stainless, it’s D2 like the rest of the Reserve line. The knife is big like most sunfish style knives but comparatively thin with just one big blade. The blade is nice too. It’s pretty thick but the swell back scales make it so it’s not too proud of the knife. I’m not sure if I’d call it a sheepsfoot blade though. Feels more like a cleaver. One way or another though, it’s a winner. Scale color is nice too in my opinion and I like the lanyard hole as well.
Attachments
30F85978-0DC8-4C61-A8DA-4D6928CE1E9F.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I like it EBW! ::tu:: Your pictures make that knife far more attractive than the online pics. Onto the "Watch List" it goes! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

ebrandwein wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:26 pm This just arrived yesterday. RRR015. I’ve always been a huge fan of Sunfish/Elephant Toe knives.
Very nice! ::nod:: Congrats! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

This Elephant Toe is a monster but I still like carrying it.
Attachments
B1B4D17F-7D51-48ED-9B85-115CAF701C2E.jpeg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

ebrandwein wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:26 pm This just arrived yesterday. RRR015. I’ve always been a huge fan of Sunfish/Elephant Toe knives. This one is the best I’ve seen yet. There are no gaps or blade centering/play issues at all. Walk and talk are terrific. Very sharp right out of the tube. Contrary to the description on SMKW, the blade isn’t just stainless, it’s D2 like the rest of the Reserve line. The knife is big like most sunfish style knives but comparatively thin with just one big blade. The blade is nice too. It’s pretty thick but the swell back scales make it so it’s not too proud of the knife. I’m not sure if I’d call it a sheepsfoot blade though. Feels more like a cleaver. One way or another though, it’s a winner. Scale color is nice too in my opinion and I like the lanyard hole as well.
Thanks for the fine review. I’ve got one just like it out for delivery right now. I’ll post in this thread once I have it in my hands.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice review of those knives, Ebrand. Very well photographed!
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

ebrandwein wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 pm This Elephant Toe is a monster but I still like carrying it.
To each his own. No offense intended. We all have our preferences.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Wow! This knife needs to be held in the hand while working the blade action to be fully appreciated. I'm impressed. The walk and talk are just right. About a 6 pull and the blade is easy to pinch open. Opening and closing the blade is very pleasant.

Transitions are all smooth and there are no gaps. I haven't heard (or read) anybody mention that it incorporates a striker pin inside the blade well to prevent blade rap. That explains why the kick doesn't sit lower than the sharpened edge. It doesn't need to.
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6317.JPG
Another thing that SMKW got wrong in the description is that the shield is not brass like they say it is.
IMG_6320.JPG
Now check this out. Have you ever bought a new knife and the tip of the blade is exposed when closed? Ain't gonna happen here. Not for a very long time. The blade rests way down in there.
IMG_6318.JPG
I can't not carry this knife :mrgreen: so in the pocket it goes tomorrow morning on my way out the door. Worth every penny of the $50 that I paid for it.
Rick T.

jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Fine looking knife. ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very impressive Rick, ::tu:: can't wait til I get a copy! ::pace::! My initial reaction when seeing this knife was how unattractive it looked, but after seeing some offline pictures in different poses than SMKW has, I must say, I'm now finding it extremely attractive! From your description it sounds like you're very pleased with your new knife, for both looks and action! It's also the first time I've seen a sheepsfoot on this style knife! At this point the only thing I would like to see changed would be the color of the covers from the olive green to something in black! The Rough Rider engineer and design department was working on all cylinders when they decided to produce this one! Beautiful! 8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I agree that some black micarta would be great. I could even get a little funky and go for some orange or yellow G10.
Rick T.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:24 pm Wow! This knife needs to be held in the hand while working the blade action to be fully appreciated. I'm impressed. The walk and talk are just right. About a 6 pull and the blade is easy to pinch open. Opening and closing the blade is very pleasant.

Transitions are all smooth and there are no gaps. I haven't heard (or read) anybody mention that it incorporates a striker pin inside the blade well to prevent blade rap. That explains why the kick doesn't sit lower than the sharpened edge. It doesn't need to.
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6317.JPG

Another thing that SMKW got wrong in the description is that the shield is not brass like they say it is.
IMG_6320.JPG

Now check this out. Have you ever bought a new knife and the tip of the blade is exposed when closed? Ain't gonna happen here. Not for a very long time. The blade rests way down in there.
IMG_6318.JPG

I can't not carry this knife :mrgreen: so in the pocket it goes tomorrow morning on my way out the door. Worth every penny of the $50 that I paid for it.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That looks like a fine and sturdy working knife. Would take a great edge, i presume was sharp out of the box, theirs normally are. Great get, i like it. ::ds:: :)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

cudgee wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:04 pm ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That looks like a fine and sturdy working knife. Would take a great edge, i presume was sharp out of the box, theirs normally are. Great get, i like it. ::ds:: :)
Thanks, cudgee. It is plenty sharp enough out of the box. I will not need to touch it up before using it but to be honest, I've seen sharper blades out of the box. Especially from RR.

I have a question for you if you don't mind. If in the distant future, if I want to re-profile the edge to something like 15 degrees per side, do you think that this "swedge" or whatever it's called would cause the stone to contact it instead of the edge at that steep of an angle? It's only at the rear-most end of the blade but it's got me wondering.
Attachments
IMG_6316.JPG
Rick T.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:58 pm I agree that some black micarta would be great. I could even get a little funky and go for some orange or yellow G10.
Orange G-10, mmm! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:40 pm
cudgee wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:04 pm ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That looks like a fine and sturdy working knife. Would take a great edge, i presume was sharp out of the box, theirs normally are. Great get, i like it. ::ds:: :)
Thanks, cudgee. It is plenty sharp enough out of the box. I will not need to touch it up before using it but to be honest, I've seen sharper blades out of the box. Especially from RR.

I have a question for you if you don't mind. If in the distant future, if I want to re-profile the edge to something like 15 degrees per side, do you think that this "swedge" or whatever it's called would cause the stone to contact it instead of the edge at that steep of an angle? It's only at the rear-most end of the blade but it's got me wondering.
Should not be an issue if you take your time and just be careful around that area, you have enough experience so should be fine. But one thing i have learnt over time which is invaluable when it comes to re-profiling, really take your time and do it in stages. By that i mean, find out what angle it is now, and say it's 20 degrees, first re-profile go to 18 degrees and then stop at that angle, then later go to 16 degrees then leave it at that, then finish it at 15 degrees. The advantage of this is, you are not taking too much metal off at once, because if the blade is too thin behind the bevel and can't support such a shallow angle you will have a stuffed knife, if you take too much metal off you can't put it back on. This way, when you do your first re-profile and carry it and use it you can see how it is holding up and decide to progress further, if it looks like i won't hold up removing much more metal you stop and keep it at that angle. I have seen many a good knife ruined by people [ idiots ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ] trying to put too shallow an angle on a blade that won't hold up, and i'm speaking from personal experience. :roll: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: :lol:
Yes i'm in the idiot category for past reprofiling mistakes. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

cudgee wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:31 pm Should not be an issue if you take your time and just be careful around that area, you have enough experience so should be fine. But one thing i have learnt over time which is invaluable when it comes to re-profiling, really take your time and do it in stages. By that i mean, find out what angle it is now, and say it's 20 degrees, first re-profile go to 18 degrees and then stop at that angle, then later go to 16 degrees then leave it at that, then finish it at 15 degrees. The advantage of this is, you are not taking too much metal off at once, because if the blade is too thin behind the bevel and can't support such a shallow angle you will have a stuffed knife, if you take too much metal off you can't put it back on. This way, when you do your first re-profile and carry it and use it you can see how it is holding up and decide to progress further, if it looks like i won't hold up removing much more metal you stop and keep it at that angle. I have seen many a good knife ruined by people [ idiots ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ] trying to put too shallow an angle on a blade that won't hold up, and i'm speaking from personal experience. :roll: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: :lol:
Yes i'm in the idiot category for past reprofiling mistakes. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang::
Thank you! ::handshake::
Rick T.

ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

This is one of my favorite Rough Ryders. A Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus stockman. I think it ran me all of $32. For something that is not one of the Reserve line models, it’s really very well done. There are no gaps in the springs, liners or scales. Walk and talk are quite snappy. The blades are what I believe is etched to look like damascus steel but I’m pretty sure this is standard Rough Ryder 440A. Thats honestly fine with me. 440A isn’t considered fantastic but it is very easy to put an edge on. The scales are bone, jigged and dyed to resemble antler. About the only criticism I have is that the nail nick on the sheepsfoot blade is too shallow. It works mind you, but it could be better. For the price, I think it’s a solid knife that has held up very well after about a year of use.
Attachments
CA850C06-9B6A-4042-9897-ACC522563758.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a good lookin' R/R EBW! ::tu:: Those covers are outstanding and go perfectly with the acorn shield! If you've carried it for a year and it's still in that great shape I'm sure you'll get many more good years out of it! Very nice! 8)
8)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

ebrandwein wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:07 am This is one of my favorite Rough Ryders. A Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus stockman. I think it ran me all of $32. For something that is not one of the Reserve line models, it’s really very well done. There are no gaps in the springs, liners or scales. Walk and talk are quite snappy. The blades are what I believe is etched to look like damascus steel but I’m pretty sure this is standard Rough Ryder 440A. Thats honestly fine with me. 440A isn’t considered fantastic but it is very easy to put an edge on. The scales are bone, jigged and dyed to resemble antler. About the only criticism I have is that the nail nick on the sheepsfoot blade is too shallow. It works mind you, but it could be better. For the price, I think it’s a solid knife that has held up very well after about a year of use.
I agree ebrandwein, the "Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus Series" is a beautiful series.

The blades on all 8 knives and 1 razor in the 2021 "Cinnamon Bone Stag Series" are real Damascus.
Go to my below AAPK posting from April 08, 2021 below. A full description of the blades and series can be viewed there.
I assume that many collectors believe that Rough Rider (Ryder) does not assemble real Damascus Blades, however, they do. You can practically count the layers.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=45594&p=912159&hi ... us#p912159

DAMASCUS.jpg
DAMASCUS.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Take a peek at the new Rough Ryder "Classic Cinnamon Bone Stag Series." The handles are cinnamon bone stag with brass and black synthetic liners. Not Damascus blades, but Carbon Steel blades, halfstops, no shields. (AND NO R ON BOLSTERS.) Same exceptional quality knives as the Damascus Cinnamon Bone Stag Series.
There are currently 3 avaliable from smkw. RR2420 Trapper, RR2422 Copperhead and the RR2429 Barlow. More on the way per Smoky.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Got these two little knives yesterday a trapper and a muskrat.
I know these are more of a novelty but I was surprised at how well made they are.
They are razor sharp and have great snap.
Attachments
20220401_071617.jpg
Tim
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Folder wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:48 am
Take a peek at the new Rough Ryder "Classic Cinnamon Bone Stag Series." The handles are cinnamon bone stag with brass and black synthetic liners. Not Damascus blades, but Carbon Steel blades, halfstops, no shields. (AND NO R ON BOLSTERS.) Same exceptional quality knives as the Damascus Cinnamon Bone Stag Series.
There are currently 3 avaliable from smkw. RR2420 Trapper, RR2422 Copperhead and the RR2429 Barlow. More on the way per Smoky.

Dan
SMKW "seems" to be getting the message that there are customers out there that don't like the big "R" on the bolster.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

Old Folder wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:48 am
ebrandwein wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:07 am This is one of my favorite Rough Ryders. A Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus stockman. I think it ran me all of $32. For something that is not one of the Reserve line models, it’s really very well done. There are no gaps in the springs, liners or scales. Walk and talk are quite snappy. The blades are what I believe is etched to look like damascus steel but I’m pretty sure this is standard Rough Ryder 440A. Thats honestly fine with me. 440A isn’t considered fantastic but it is very easy to put an edge on. The scales are bone, jigged and dyed to resemble antler. About the only criticism I have is that the nail nick on the sheepsfoot blade is too shallow. It works mind you, but it could be better. For the price, I think it’s a solid knife that has held up very well after about a year of use.
I agree ebrandwein, the "Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus Series" is a beautiful series.

The blades on all 8 knives and 1 razor in the 2021 "Cinnamon Bone Stag Series" are real Damascus.
Go to my below AAPK posting from April 08, 2021 below. A full description of the blades and series can be viewed there.
I assume that many collectors believe that Rough Rider (Ryder) does not assemble real Damascus Blades, however, they do. You can practically count the layers.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=45594&p=912159&hi ... us#p912159

DAMASCUS.jpg

Dan
Thanks for that information. I always figured it was just an etching at this price point. That’s amazing that they really did it the hard way.
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

This is my first and oldest Rough Rider. Still uses the old name spelling, no half stops either. Scrimshaw is done by Donna Wilcox of Maine. Picked it up in the souvenir shop of a maritime museum in Bath, Maine close to twenty years ago. I didn’t know a thing about knives at the time but I liked the way it looked. The 440a holds an edge pretty well though. Walk and talk are just eh and there is one tiny gap between the liner and a spring but this is really just a $20 regular Rough Rider (Ryder) so I can live with that. I carried it daily for about ten years in a small leather sleeve and still do so once a week these days. I think I got my money’s worth.
Attachments
2FCA9794-36AF-4E02-92FF-D3CF88C6F140.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beavertail wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 am Got these two little knives yesterday a trapper and a muskrat.
I know these are more of a novelty but I was surprised at how well made they are.
They are razor sharp and have great snap.
Nice Tim! ::tu:: And I own lots of novelty knives, some of them being as solid as any expensive knife! And they're cool too! 8)
8)

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”