Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by jerryd6818 »

Randy, I'm eager to see it in person.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 pm I have at least 200 'older' RR knives with bone, Stag, pearl and other handle materials in many different patterns. If anyone wants to buy some of these please contact me.
kj
How about a buck a piece?? ::groove:: ::groove::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:55 am
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 pm I have at least 200 'older' RR knives with bone, Stag, pearl and other handle materials in many different patterns. If anyone wants to buy some of these please contact me.
kj
How about a buck a piece?? ::groove:: ::groove::
I think many of the older ones are the best RR's of all and they are no longer available from dealers. The quality control is as good as it gets. Not even one knife has any sort of issue. I have used a few of my RR's and they edge hold amazing well. They are good knives and very attractive. I bought my first ones in 2007.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Came fast and showed up today in spite of the "holiday" yesterday. Heavy sucker.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR1751 Old Southwest Bow Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR1751 Old Southwest Bow Trapper - Pile Open.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:51 pm Came fast and showed up today in spite of the "holiday" yesterday. Heavy sucker.
Great looking trapper Jerry ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:51 pm Came fast and showed up today in spite of the "holiday" yesterday. Heavy sucker.
Nice knife Jerry! ::tu:: Why do you think the Canadian "holiday" Thanksgiving yesterday would affect business and deliveries in the US, ::shrug:: you guys don't celebrate Thanksgiving until November? 8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:56 pm Why do you think the Canadian "holiday" Thanksgiving yesterday would affect business and deliveries in the US, ::shrug:: you guys don't celebrate Thanksgiving until November? 8)
Well, because October 11th is also Columbus Day here in the States. Not a big holiday but it is a postal holiday.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:31 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:56 pm Why do you think the Canadian "holiday" Thanksgiving yesterday would affect business and deliveries in the US, ::shrug:: you guys don't celebrate Thanksgiving until November? 8)
Well, because October 11th is also Columbus Day here in the States. Not a big holiday but it is a postal holiday.
Oh, I see, thanks! 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are a few of my 'older' RR's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1812.JPG
IMGP1813.JPG
IMGP1814.JPG
IMGP1815.JPG
IMGP1816.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And a few more, including 2 very large Curved Jacks.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1817.JPG
IMGP1818.JPG
IMGP1819.JPG
IMGP1820.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

All very nice Joe! ::tu:: 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:00 pm All very nice Joe! ::tu:: 8)
Thanks Mm.
Many of the RR's from 5-10 years ago are simply great knives. I could not stop buying them which is why i have a few hundred now. I would like some of them to go to new homes, maybe even get used. These ones are very sharp and edge hold soooo long. Great for field dressing deer. ::woot::
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:40 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:00 pm All very nice Joe! ::tu:: 8)
Thanks Mm.
Many of the RR's from 5-10 years ago are simply great knives. I could not stop buying them which is why i have a few hundred now. I would like some of them to go to new homes, maybe even get used. These ones are very sharp and edge hold soooo long. Great for field dressing deer. ::woot::
kj
Ya, I saw your earlier post where you said, "how about a buck a piece" and was VERY surprised that you didn't get flooded with PM's or replies right here on this thread. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me, but unfortunately I have more less expensive models than I know what to do with as it is. I also recall reading your posts about field dressing a complete deer with a RR folder, and man, you were impressed! Chinese or not they're teriffic knives! 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Marco. Did i say $1 each ? I think this might have been someone else making a joke ? One of the things that most impresses me is their consistency. I have never received an RR knife with an 'issue' and everyone has shaving sharp blades.
Here are a few more i recently took pictures of.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1821.JPG
IMGP1822.JPG
IMGP1823.JPG
IMGP1824.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:03 am Thanks Marco. Did i say $1 each ? I think this might have been someone else making a joke ? One of the things that most impresses me is their consistency. I have never received an RR knife with an 'issue' and everyone has shaving sharp blades.
Here are a few more i recently took pictures of.
kj
My apologies Roland, ::doh:: you're absolutely correct. It wasn't you who said that at all, it was someone trying to be funny or facetious. ::td:: Those are also great lookin' knives! 8)
8)
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Difference between Rough Rider & Rough Ryder knife sales, are they 2 seperate companies or just one choosing the spelling randomly? ::doh::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

charlesf20 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:23 am Difference between Rough Rider & Rough Ryder knife sales, are they 2 seperate companies or just one choosing the spelling randomly? ::doh::
Good question Charles, this subject comes up on occasion.
Rough Ryder has always been made and owned by "Smoky Mountain Knife Works." RR was not sold to SMKW.
The knives were originally spelled with a "Y" and then later changed to an "I"
Around the 25th anniversary they went back to the "Y" to honor their beginnings.
There was no "Trademark" problem with a Teddy Roosevelt group or entity.

So....Originally spelled with a "Y," changed to an "I" and back to the "Y" around the 25th anniversary.

RR is an American owned company, the knives are produced in China within numerous knife companies located in China.
Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR) knives are made within a different Chinese factory than many other Rough Ryder knives, mainly because it has been stated by SMKW that the workmanship is not "better" but different for the production of these fine RRR knives and warrants the small price increase from the standard RR knives. If you own any of the RRR knives, you will see and feel the difference.

However, nothing is written in stone concerning the "I" and "Y" spelling. A good example is the three new "Rough Ryder Buckshot Bone" knives recently released. (RR2318, RR2320, and RR2323) The master blades are etched "ROUGH RIDER" but the tang stamps are etched "ROUGH RYDER." ::shrug::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan, thanks for this history of Rider vs Ryder.
My earliest RR's are from 2007 and all are marked Rough Rider so the early use of "Ryder" must have been before 2007 and not used for very long ?
My experience is that every traditional style RR i have ever bought has been a close to 'perfect' knife. Not even one has a significant issue.
The few more modern, tactical style RR's i have are not as well made and the edges are not super sharp.
The fixed blade RR's i have are o.k. but nothing special and edges are a bit dull. I think some of these were made in Pakistan.
Some people have posted Traditional style RR's that do have an 'issue'. I wonder if these were made in a different factory than were mine ?
The older RR's like "Outdoorsman Series", "Long Rifle Series" and "Rifleman Series" and others, are all absolutely top notch, more like a GEC knife than a regular China made knife. If any dealers still have any of these i suggest to those who like RR's to snap them up.
There are also "COLT" traditional style folders also put out by SMKW. These seem to be the same as the traditional style RR's except being branded as "COLT".
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:18 am
charlesf20 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:23 am Difference between Rough Rider & Rough Ryder knife sales, are they 2 seperate companies or just one choosing the spelling randomly? ::doh::
Rough Ryder has always been made and owned by "Smoky Mountain Knife Works." RR was not sold to SMKW.
Around the 25th anniversary they went back to the "Y" to honor their beginnings.

So....Originally spelled with a "Y," changed to an "I" and back to the "Y" around the 25th anniversary.

RR is an American owned company, the knives are produced in China within numerous knife companies located in China.
Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR) knives are made within a different Chinese factory than many other Rough Ryder knives, mainly because it has been stated by SMKW that the workmanship is not "better" but different for the production of these fine RRR knives and warrants the small price increase from the standard RR knives. If you own any of the RRR knives, you will see and feel the difference.

However, nothing is written in stone concerning the "I" and "Y" spelling. A good example is the three new "Rough Ryder Buckshot Bone" knives recently released. (RR2318, RR2320, and RR2323) The master blades are etched "ROUGH RIDER" but the tang stamps are etched "ROUGH RYDER." ::shrug::

Dan
Great info Dan, ::tu:: thanks! Very interesting ::hmm:: about the 2 different spellings on the same knife! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

kj, I would like to confirm how you rate the Colts in terms of their quality. I know you said they were like the traditional RRs. Am I correct in thinking you judge them to be similar to your older RRs?
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Dan
Great info Dan, ::tu:: thanks! Very interesting ::hmm:: about the 2 different spellings on the same knife! 8)
Your very welcome marco.
I guess the "Import Laws" restrict RR from selling Automatics?

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:59 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Dan
Your very welcome marco.
I guess the "Import Laws" restrict RR from selling Automatics?

Dan
I don't know Dan. ::shrug:: If I have this right, SMKW has the rights to RR's and they're built in China and China has no qualms about exporting autos, and, many Italian autos are imported so I have no idea if it's the import laws stopping RR, perhaps they're just not interested in the auto market, although I think that would be foolish on their part since it's such an expanding market. Maybe in the future? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

One of the many things i like about Rough Rider is the wide range of patterns, all well designed.
Here is an Electrician's knife with a liner lock for the screw driver blade and an etch showing inches on the master Spear point blade.
And, there is an adjustable wrench attached to the handle butt and it works well.
Great knife !
kj
Attachments
IMGP1838.JPG
IMGP1839.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I know Jerry likes the small Trapper so here is one: 3 1/2" with "Gunstock Bone" handles.
And a full size 4 1/8" Trapper with Black Lip Pearl handles. Also rather nice.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1841.JPG
IMGP1840.JPG
IMGP1845.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And one more. This one is branded "COLT" but they are the same as Rough Riders. 3 5/8" Stag Congress.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1834.JPG
IMGP1835.JPG

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”