Navy Reunions

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Navy Reunions

Post by dlr110 »

If you were in the Navy on a ship, sub, or air squadron and like to keep up with command reunions check this link for the 2022 & 2023 scheduled reunions.

https://www.hullnumber.com/reunions_all.php
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Navy Reunions

Post by beresman »

I was not in the navy, but my dad was, on BB46 (USS Maryland) through WW2. I remember him going to a number of reunions until there weren't enough crew members left to hold them anymore.

When I was a kid, I used to build those plastic model kits. I wasn't interested in cars, but mostly naval ships. Dad was annoyed that you could get a model for every class of battleship except the Maryland, so he got the plans for the ship from the USN, and built his own in HO scale from scrap brass and basswood. Took him 15+ years to do it, making everything by hand. That model now sits in the visitor center of the US Naval Academy in Annapolis.

I do not have his patience for that kind of thing; rebuilding a knife is enough for me. But I like to brag on him when I can.
Brent
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

beresman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:20 pm I was not in the navy, but my dad was, on BB46 (USS Maryland) through WW2.
Brent you should and I know you are very proud of your dad. I've never seen the model, but I bet it's
very good to be on display at the academy. ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
beresman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:20 pm I was not in the navy, but my dad was, on BB46 (USS Maryland) through WW2. I remember him going to a number of reunions until there weren't enough crew members left to hold them anymore.

When I was a kid, I used to build those plastic model kits. I wasn't interested in cars, but mostly naval ships. Dad was annoyed that you could get a model for every class of battleship except the Maryland, so he got the plans for the ship from the USN, and built his own in HO scale from scrap brass and basswood. Took him 15+ years to do it, making everything by hand. That model now sits in the visitor center of the US Naval Academy in Annapolis.

I do not have his patience for that kind of thing; rebuilding a knife is enough for me. But I like to brag on him when I can.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

… so he got the plans for the ship from the USN, and built his own in HO scale from scrap brass and basswood.
HO scale is 1:87 and the Maryland was 624 feet long, making the model about 7 feet… now that is a serious model! Beresman do you have a photo you can post?

Dennis
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Here's a picture of the model in the Annapolis Visitor's Center.

beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I apologize; I mis-spoke. He originally talked about making it HO scale, but ended up making it 1:120, a much more manageable 5 feet or so.

I thought I had digital photos, but I can't find them. Here are scans of a few of the photos he took, plus an article (I have a scrap book filled with various stuff related to this model).
Attachments
FIghting Mary_20220519_0001.jpg
FIghting Mary_20220519_0002.jpg
FIghting Mary_20220519_0003.jpg
Brent
Samb

Post by Samb »

Awesome!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Brent that's incredible, the detail is just mind blowing. That's a testament to some amazing dedication right there.

Eric
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That model is absolutely amazing. ::tu:: Suffice it to say that I completely lack the skill needed to come up with such a thing!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

That ship model is amazin'! Well Done! ::tu::
steve99f
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Brent,

As a Navy Vet, I was intrigued by your story of your father building a model of the USS Maryland. I did a search regarding Annapolis and could not, for the life of me, find a photo of it at their website. One would think their website would have a photo of this wonderful model. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place. ::shrug::

With that said...I am in awe of what your father built. It is absolutely amazing. He must have had the patience of Job. I can't even imagine the pride you must hold in your heart for him. Thank you so much for sharing this story and the detailed photos. ::tu:: ::handshake::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I almost missed this story and model. What a magnificent effort.

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”