What to do with a set of US Military dog tags?

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What to do with a set of US Military dog tags?

Post by knifeaholic »

I recently bought a box lot of miscellaneous stuff to get the knives that were in the lot.

One of the things in the lot is a set of US Military dog tags.

It struck me that either the person to whom these were issued (if still living) or his descendants or family members may want these returned.

Is there some way to return them to the rightful owner or family?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What to do with a set of US Military dog tags?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

knifeaholic wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:39 pm I recently bought a box lot of miscellaneous stuff to get the knives that were in the lot.

One of the things in the lot is a set of US Military dog tags.

It struck me that either the person to whom these were issued (if still living) or his descendants or family members may want these returned.

Is there some way to return them to the rightful owner or family?
I would contact a local veterans group and see if they have any ideas. The info on the tags should be available from the VA, although they might not release info to anyone except family depending on how old the individual is or is deceased. I did this with a family member whose dogtags that I had from WWI, and I was able to get some records that had not been destroyed in a fire decades ago.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OC gave good advice. Unfortunately, too many service records have been destroyed. Good luck in your honorable quest!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
eveled

Post by eveled »

Be aware they may want the other stuff that was in the box too.

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”