One of America's Finest

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

One of America's Finest

Post by dlr110 »

Yesterday my wife and I stopped after church to have lunch at a nearby café in Krum, TX. As we were being seated an elderly gentleman approached our table and asked if we were Krum residence to which I replied, “no sir but we live just a few miles down the highway.” He introduced himself as, Derick South, and stated that he had just returned from a trip to Hawaii and the Arizona Memorial. In my conversation with him I learned that Mr. South was a lifelong resident of Krum, born in December 1924.

After learning of the bombing at Pearl Harbor Mr. South joined the Navy as soon as he turned 18 years old. Following recruit training he was assigned to the U.S.S. Pennsylvania BB-38. When Japan had attacked on 7 December 1941, Pennsylvania, flagship of the United States Fleet, was in drydock at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard. Her relatively light damage was repaired over the next few months, and she operated along the U.S. west coast and off Hawaii until October 1942.

The ship served throughout the Pacific from Attu, Alaska to Tarawa, Manila, and Saipan. During the battle of Saipan many of the U.S. Marines that were killed Mr. South saw floating in the water off shore. To this day those images still haunt his dreams.

I told him my father fought in North Africa and Europe and had lived here in Krum when he was the Municipal Court Judge in the 1980’s. Mr. South remembered my dad and all the other “ole boys” that would hang out around the café and the municipal office. They talk about old times and of course what was wrong with the world today. They thought they had all the answers, but deep down they knew it was more complicated.

Derick South will be 100 years old December 1st 2024. In good health now I pray he makes it and many more. Heroes like him, my father and grandfather who served this nation and others for the cause of freedom, liberty and justice will soon be gone from our presence. I pray for Mr. South and I hope to read of his 100th birthday or maybe even help celebrate it. God Bless.

This is a baseball type card that was made for him by the Best Defense Foundation. BDF.org
Scan_20220613.png
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: One of America's Finest

Post by beresman »

This is great! Thanks for sharing!
Brent
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

The Greatest Generation ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Amen to beresman and tnortan's comments! ::marine_salute::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Thanks David for sharing this . Nice to read things like this .
JP
BWT

Post by BWT »

Really enjoyed your post David ::tu:: ::tu:: Thank you.
Bill
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

His generation sacrificed so much for us. May they all never be forgotten.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Fantastic! God bless him!

I was blessed to grow up listening to my momma’s uncles tell their stories of WWII. One was in the army, another in the navy, and a third in the Marines. Their brother, my Pa was 4F j in believe the designation was. So from him I heard the stories of what life was like stateside during the war too. God bless that generation. I doubt we’ll see their like again.

If you see him again, shake his hand for me please.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Had three uncles who served in WWII. One was injured in France. Don't recall the other two being injured although one was at the Battle of the Bulge. They never talked about it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

A very touching post David. I've lived in Canada my entire life but that doesn't stop me and many other Canadians from fully appreciating the sacrifices and dedication to duty shown by US service men and women. Canada is only a free country because of our mighty neighbor to the south, and I for one am very grateful for that. God bless Derick and all the others who have made these sacrifices, many times with their lives. ::handshake:: 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:34 pm Fantastic! God bless him!

I was blessed to grow up listening to my momma’s uncles tell their stories of WWII. One was in the army, another in the navy, and a third in the Marines. Their brother, my Pa was 4F j in believe the designation was. So from him I heard the stories of what life was like stateside during the war too. God bless that generation. I doubt we’ll see their like again.

If you see him again, shake his hand for me please.
You can count on it Sir.... ::handshake::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:12 pm Had three uncles who served in WWII. One was injured in France. Don't recall the other two being injured although one was at the Battle of the Bulge. They never talked about it.
My Father fought at the Battle of the Bulge.
He hardly ever talked about it, but he told me one time during the battle that he couldn't take a step without stepping on a dead soldier.I never asked him anything more about it.
Tim
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A terrific story, David. Our WWII veterans are national treasures. If I ever run across one of them in a dining establishment, his meal will be on me!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

A wonderful tribute. May God bless him, and all those who do or have served!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”