VA benefit

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
steve99f

VA benefit

Post by steve99f »

Went to my first interview at the local VA clinic. A basic checkup and review of my chart and med history. On the way out the Dr offered the Shingrex vax as one of the benefits. So I received the first shot of the two shot program. Just a heads up if this is a concern.

I have to say I was impressed with the staff and the facility I visited. I shouldn't have waited this long to get acquainted with the VA.
steve99f
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: VA benefit

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think about retirement and the VA medical benefits have been on my mind lately. I appreciate the feedback.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
BWT

Post by BWT »

I can say that since August 1,2014 I have been using the VA. They have been great for and to me. I do have insurance and have to see a doctor twice a year in their network. That’s all I have to say about that :D
Bill
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

In past years I had occasion to use the VA in two states. In each I found the medical staff excellent. The long history of complaints about the VA derives in my opinion from the clerical staff which was often less than competent. But a few years ago I understand the VA gained the right to dismiss employees. Perhaps this will have improved the performance of the clerical personnel.
eveled

Post by eveled »

It makes me happy to hear about great services at the VA. There were so many horror stories in the past.

Everyone who is eligible to use the VA, deserves the very best care available. Its the least a great full nation can do.

thank you all for your services, God bless you.
robpa

Post by robpa »

I have nothing but praise for the VA. I go to the Erie , pa and the county offices. I too should have entered the system years before I did. Vets actuall move here to be able to access the erie VMAC. Its superior. Only down side is the union lobbies for more work. its generally a cash cow for them, while they dont have the $$$s for other necessities like doctors and nurses.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I would consider using a VA hospital but the closest one to me is over an hour away. I am fortunate in that I can afford Medicare and a Medigap plan. Push came to shove, I'd make the trip. Just don't need to.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

All of you veterans should at least get registered with and accepted into the VA system, whether you think you need it or not. My dad was a WWII Army combat veteran. He was wounded and as a result spent several months in Army hospitals recovering. After being discharged from the Army and getting a job he always said he had good insurance he could afford, and didn’t need VA medical care - let someone who did need it have his benefits.

That was great until the end when he was terminally ill, had used up his Medicare and supplemental benefits, and was going broke financially from medical bills and assisted living. I contacted the VA for him and was told they needed his discharge papers and other documents, I don’t recall what all. The VA said it would take several weeks to get him processed into the VA system. He didn’t have that long.

Lesson learned is if you’re eligible get enrolled whether you think you need the VA or not. None of us knows what the future may bring. Someday if you do need it, it may be too late.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The VA now has a program they call "Community Care". It allows you to be seen & treated by local hospitals & health care professionals. I use it frequently & have yet to see a bill. Sure beats that hour & a half drive to Madison, WI. BTW there are distance stipulations.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I use the V.A. in Newington, Ct. I have had a few issues with them in the past but in all the years I have been going there they have been a great place for health care.
I will add that , by the Grace of God, at 75 years, I have yet to have any health issues.

I agree with Ken, get enrolled, you wont regret it. ::nod::
Joe
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:58 am The VA now has a program they call "Community Care". It allows you to be seen & treated by local hospitals & health care professionals. I use it frequently & have yet to see a bill. Sure beats that hour & a half drive to Madison, WI. BTW there are distance stipulations.
Thanks for that Jerry, I'll look into it.

What Ken said is true. Sign up, you won't be taking benefits from someone who needs them more. It doesn't work that way.
steve99f

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”