ship

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
just bob

ship

Post by just bob »

This is a Zippo lighter with a scene that has a (military?) ship entering a waterway. May be a lock or canal. I've been looking at pictures and don't think it's the Panama Canal. Anyone have any idea? I may forward it to Zippo and see if they have any records. Lighter is dated to the early 1970's.
Attachments
ship 2.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: ship

Post by Desert Golfer »

The Ship appears to be an Ore Ship. And the picture in the background I believe is the Soo Locks, Sault Ste. Marie, MI. Mike
just bob

Post by just bob »

Desert Golfer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:59 am The Ship appears to be an Ore Ship. And the picture in the background I believe is the Soo Locks, Sault Ste. Marie, MI. Mike

Thank you so much for posting that. I'll do a little digging and see if I can verify that.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Possibly an iron ore carrier under the lift bridge at Duluth Harbor.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thank you for posting that. I may be able to nail this down. That sure looks right.
Attachments
yyyyy.jpg

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The ship in that picture looks a lot like the Edmund Fitzgerald which sank in Lake Superior in 1975.
Attachments
Edmund Fitzgerald.jpeg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”