Second Opinion Requested

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
MoseNotes

Second Opinion Requested

Post by MoseNotes »

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum but I have been collecting non-Western knives and swords since the mid 1990s. For my first post I am submitting this unusual folding knife. Originally, I posted this knife on another forum and the opinion was it was made in India in the early to late 20th century. I generally agree with the date and find the country of origin plausible but would like a bit more information if possible.

Description:
3.75" (9.525cm) clip point saber grind blade stamped "No6 KING" on the nut and "BEST STEEL" just behind the nail nick.
Lockback backspring
4.5" hilt with brass bolster and butt. Horn scale followed by a wide brass band which is in turn followed by a narrow plastic or celluloid band (colored like "clown barf" guitar picks). Delicate, decorated brass bail. All hilt components are riveted to the steel liners with steel rivets.

The blade is obviously factory made and while mid 20th century Indian factories certainly had the capacity to produce such items, I wonder if my blade was possibly a trade blade made somewhere in Western Europe. The hilt on the other hand is certainly not factory made. If the "clown barf" band is plastic, then mid 20th century is probably the earliest date but if the band is celluloid, then an early 20th century date is possible. There is one other odd thing about the knife. The hilt is silky smooth as if the knife had ridden in a pocket for a long time but the blade appears to have never been sharpened. I have supplied three pictures of the knife. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
MoseNotes
Attachments
Knife.jpeg
Blade.jpeg
Bale.jpeg
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Second Opinion Requested

Post by CluelessNick »

Hello, welcome to the forum. I can not help with any info on your knife except to say that it is very unique and interesting . I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members here will chime in soon.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a beautiful knife Mose! Like Nick I can't tell you anything about it, other than it's really cool and definitely my kindda knife! I agree with the India possibility. I began collecting unusual knives from around the world a couple years ago, and so far, I have about 50 models. I'll be following this thread to see what some of the other members can tell you about your knife! Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like a knife made in India meant to invoke thoughts of Sheffield and Joseph Rogers knives. The No. 6 and Best Steel are common marks on such knives. Many times “Best Sheffield Steel” is used and at times misspelled. Not sure but best guess would be post WWII time frame.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Welcome to the forum Mosenotes. I like your phrase “clown barf” to describe that ugly colored band on the knife. Seems strangely out of place on that knife. If it’s not India, it could be a Pakistan made knife. It’s also possible that someone has cobbled this together from parts from other knives, which would explain the modern made blade.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

🤔 I guess even Paki Stan has End of Day knives. 🤭 ::welcome:: to AAPK, MoseNotes.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
MoseNotes

Post by MoseNotes »

Thanks for the welcome and to all those who responded.

Sincerely,
MoseNotes

Return to “Other foreign made knives”