My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Madmarco »

This little Rough Rider RRR017 Barlow slip-joint is the 4th of 7 knives recently sent to me from Jamie, and it's quite the knife! Open it's 6" oal and has a D2 spear-point blade with nick, NS ribbed bolsters, brass liners shield pins and lanyard tube, as well as tan linen micarta covers. Pretty light weighing only about 2 oz.'s and very sharp. Very firm pull when opening, with an equally firm half-stop and detent when closing. Eye-catching fit and finish. I have a Green River 9" oal Barlow that most folks comment on as being the biggest Barlow they've seen, and I can say here and now, this is definitely the smallest Barlow I've ever seen! Thanks for making it all possible buddy! ::handshake:: 8)
WIN_20221124_17_10_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221124_17_10_57_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Another Rough Rider that came in the Jamie order! This is the Rough Rider RR2285 slip-joint, and it's 6 1/2" oal with a SS Wharncliffe blade featuring a short swedge on top and a pull to assist in opening, brushed SS bolsters, SS liners, black linen micarta covers, adjustable pivot, and lanyard hole. With the help of the SS liners, it weighs about 3 oz.'s and arrived very sharp. This little bugger has one of the strongest pulls I've experienced, along with an equally strong half-stop and detent, one definitely doesn't want any digits in the way when this one closes. My new knife came with a near perfect fit and finish. I am quite impressed with this knife! Thanks James! ::handshake:: 8)
WIN_20221124_17_09_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221124_17_09_47_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I really like that Barlow. It would go well in my Barlow collection. Those RRR knives are all pretty sweet.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:57 am I really like that Barlow. It would go well in my Barlow collection. Those RRR knives are all pretty sweet.
That Barlow is quite a looker.

They are nailing it with their spear blade shapes and the swedging on all their RRR knives. I sure wish Case would follow suit.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks fellas, I appreciate you appreciating my knives! lol! ::handshake:: The RRR series has some very nice models in it Mark. The Barlow wasn't inexpensive for a Chinese knife, but it's so well built that you overlook the price immediately, and I have a feeling all the other models will be similar. I'm a big fan of spear-points C-W, and although I don't follow Case knives, I figure that style blade would look good on just about any knife. And I really like the swedging too. Thx again guys! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Two recent purchases from my pal Mark at SSk! A 5 1/4" oal Bertram Cutlery 100 slip-joint canoe with a SS drop-point blade with nick, brushed SS 2-piece body, NS bullet shield, and lanyard hole. Very light at just 1.6 oz.'s and very sharp. Has an uncomfortably strong pull that will break fingernails along with an equally strong half-stop and gator snapping detent, which make opening/closing somewhat difficult on a small knife, but still doable. Beautiful fit n' finish. The tang stamps read "Rostfrei" and "Solingen", so I figure it's German made. The second knife is an A.G. Russell 5 3/4" oal lockback Pen knife with a SS drop-point blade with nick, polished SS 2-piece body, and lockback blade release. Also quite light at exactly 2 oz.'s and also very sharp. This one has a much more relaxed pull and detent. Another with a perfect fit n' finish. Tang stamp reads "Made in Japan". I'd watched these 2 in Mark's store for awhile and was just recently in a position to buy, so why not! They're both considerably smaller than I had anticipated, but the way they're built totally compensates for their size! Thanks Mark! 8)
WIN_20221107_13_07_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221107_13_06_31_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221107_13_08_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221107_13_07_51_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

These are 4 "bombs" my friend Jamie included in a recent order! 1.-A small Gerber utility linerlock, 2.-A Rough Rider slip-joint toothpick with white fluted covers, 3.-A Cold Steel small dagger with a flat back side, and 4.-A tactical writing pen for various duties! Thanks pal! ::handshake:: ! 8)
WIN_20221204_19_30_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221204_19_30_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221204_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221204_19_32_08_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221204_19_32_32_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221204_19_32_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221204_19_33_23_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I recently got these 2 knives from my pal Mark at SSk, and both are surprisingly nicer than anticipated! The first is an 8" oal Junglee linerlock with an AUS-8 steel Wharncliffe blade with stud, single SS liner, brass pins, black synthetic covers, and pocket-clip. I'm going to guess it weighs about 4 oz.'s and the blade came freshly sharpened. Opening via the stud is smooth, as is closing with a half-stop and decent detent. Has an excellent fit n' finish too. Made in Seki, Japan. I'd had a copy of this knife on my list for awhile, and when the time came to pull the trigger it was sold, but then I saw this copy on Ebay and had Mark buy it and send it along with this second knife directly from Mark's store. It's an 8 1/4" oal Robeson slip-joint with a SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters and shield, brass liners and pins, and gorgeous jigged strawberry red covers. This knife comes in at a slightly heavier 5 oz.'s but equally sharp. Another recent knife of mine that has a nearly impossible opening pull of likely 9 1/2, and a half-stop closing with a gator detent, but damn it's beautiful. This one also displays a near perfect fit n' finish. Made in the USA. The first thing I noticed about this knife was the shield, as it appears to me to be installed upside-down, comments regarding this please? 8)
WIN_20221208_14_50_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221208_14_49_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221208_14_51_05_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221208_14_50_42_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

In my previous post I asked for opinions on the upside-down shield, but it seems it's not upside-down at all, but rather that's the way it's suppose to be, so please disregard my request! Thx! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a few I picked-up along the way but haven't had time to post yet, and I'll start with this one! It's an unmarked 9" oal linerlock with a SS Tanto blade, SS body, pocket-clip, and removable glass-breaker in order to accommodate a sling-shot that wasn't included but should have been! Approximate weight of 4 oz.'s and came well sharpened. Adequate fit n' finish. I saw the button on the butt-end and figured it was an auto, but when it arrived and I pushed the button the glass-breaker fell off, and it wasn't until later that found out about the sling-shot deal from an online description! Now it's just an inexpensive pocket knife! 8)
WIN_20220829_15_12_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220829_15_12_02_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is my most recent manual, and it's a beauty! It's the Rough Rider RRR015 "Hippo Toe" 5" oal slip-joint that features a SS sheepsfoot blade with a coined n/n and double swedge, NS ringed bolsters pins and shield, green linen micarta covers, brass liners, and a lanyard hole. Nice and heavy coming in at about 5 oz.'s, and came to me factory sharpened. It displays an outstanding fit and finish. When I saw the price I thought like most of us did, "US$50. for a RR?", but once in-hand I knew exactly where that money went, it's simply splendid! This is the second copy that was sent to me, since the first was supposedly lost in the mail, but Customs sent the empty box with the packing peanuts and nothing else for the first copy, so you do the math! I REALLY like this knife and think everyone should own a copy, critics included! I bought mine from my bud Jamie, and he has more for anyone interested! 8)
WIN_20221214_15_38_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221214_15_37_55_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got this big folder today after a considerable wait, and it came from Bulgaria via ebay! It's a 12 1/4" oal hand-made unmarked slip-joint with a SS spear-point blade minus a n/n due to it being wide enough to pinch open, NS ringed bolsters and liners, brass pins, dark horn covers, and an unusual feature in a double-headed bolt pivot, not a pin. It's a heavy knife weighing about 8 oz.'s and arrived professionally sharpened. A nice comfortable pull of about 4 with a half-stop, and a gently snapping detent. Well done fit and finish. I'm glad it came today cuz it took the sting out of an email from an ebay seller informing me my recent order has been cancelled due to it being "Out of Stock". A good candidate for my BIG knife pile! 8)
WIN_20220829_18_41_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220829_18_41_56_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I don't know if this is a USA Kershaw or a China Kershaw, but since I'd like to keep all my manuals in one thread I'm posting it here! This is the new for 2022 Kershaw "Noventa" frame lock, and it's 7 3/4" oal, has a D2 steel black coated drop-point blade, solid SS ribbed body, thick rubber spacer, adjustable pivot if you have the correct tool, lower lanyard hole, and a pocket-clip. Decent weight coming-in at about 4 oz.'s and quickly cut yourself sharpened. It features what they describe as a new hidden flipper system that once perfected by the user should be cool. So far I'm finding it a bit awkward it's so small. It locks up solid and the frame lock keeps it that way until ready to close. I don't see a flaw in it's fit and finish. For me this was not an inexpensive knife, but it's living up to my expectations beautifully! 8)
WIN_20221231_13_54_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221231_13_54_05_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221202_10_44_34_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This one came today from the Bay and it's more interesting than the above Kershaw that no one saw fit to comment on! lol! We can't like em' all I guess! It was described as an antique vintage J.A. Henckels hunting pocket knife, and it's 9" oal and 6 3/4" closed and features a 5mm SS (?) dagger (?) blade with a nail-nic, SS (?) ringed bolsters liners and pins, fulcrum (?) blade release, and gnarly stag covers. Quite heavy at around 8 or 9 oz.'s and came sharpened. Opens smoothly and easily along with tight lock-up and no play, and closes by lifting the lever and pressing forward to release the tang from the 5mm back spring then smoothly sliding closed. It's fit and finish appear very good to me, although I've requested advise on removing some blade pitting and sprucing up the "milky" looking covers which Mark and Bill have so far kindly provided. I paid-up for this knife, although the seller did accept my lower offer which turned out to be a blessing since Customs dinged me for import fees, but don't worry, I'm over it! lol! I like this knife, it's BIG it's heavy it's right up my alley! Since the seller provided next to no information, and my knowledge regarding certain aspects such as steel types blade types and blade release mechanisms is limited, I've inserted the question marks in case I'm wrong! 8)
WIN_20230104_11_38_30_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230104_11_38_04_Pro.jpg
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I can see why you were drawn to that one, Mark. Nice score! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Dan! It's one of those one's that yells at you as you're browsing by, and I couldn't resist! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I need to cheat a bit here guys, cuz this knife is made in the USA but I'd like to keep my manual folders in one topic so I'm gonna slip it in here. New Gerber "Affinity" model, 8 1/2" oal frame lock slip-joint with a SS drop-point blade long pull and adjustable stud slot, 2-color aluminum body, decorative metal plate that's also for improved grip, lanyard and pocket-clip. 4.6 oz.'s and extremely sharp. Described as being ideal for a "Black-tie affair". Sleek clean profile on this knife! 8)
WIN_20221213_11_37_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230110_10_50_39_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221213_11_36_37_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Added these 2 beautiful folders I bought from "Sanders Knives" to my collection recently! Top pictured is a Western 7 1/2" oal S-532 "A" lockback featuring a SS drop-point blade with a coined nail-nic, NS bolsters and pins, thick brass liners, and laminated hardwood covers. Substantial weight of about 5 oz.'s and it arrived well sharpened. Smooth easy opening pull of maybe 3, and crisply snapping detent when closing. Displaying a perfect fit and finish. In the 2 bottom pictures is a Parker/Frost 6 1/2" oal slip-joint with a SS drop-point blade that has a long pull and partial swedge, NS bolsters, brass liners, and fiery MOP covers. A little lighter at about 3 oz.'s but equally sharp. This one has a considerably firmer pull of about 6 when opening, but the same snapping detent when closing. Fit and finish remains excellent. Thanks again Matt! 8)
WIN_20221219_13_56_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221219_13_55_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221219_13_55_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221219_13_55_00_Pro.jpg
8)
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Great Knives mate, I do like a heavy blade, makes me feel confident.

Now I have a very rare folder here probably priceless ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::

Not for sale .............. :lol:
Attachments
a1.jpg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Jon, I like em' heavy too! If it doesn't feel substantial in my hand it doesn't inspire any confidence like you said. Can we have more details about your "priceless" knife please? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I added this beautiful brand new Moki collaboration between Moki and our own SSk's Mark to my collection today! This is the 7 1/4" oal ANZ-433 lockback model that sports a VG-10 drop-point blade with the nail-nick encircled by the swedge, SS bolsters liners spring pins and lanyard tube, and really stunning Sunset orange and black barbed-wire jigged covers. It has a respectable weight of almost 3 oz.'s and arrived perfectly sharpened. It opens smoothly and easily, and folds closed with a satisfying snap. The fit and finish is Moki perfect. The tangs have stamps reading "MOKI" and "VG-10/JAPAN", and there's an etch of the "SSk" logo along with "Exclusive Limited Edition of 50" on the front blade. Mark also had 50 of the slightly shorter oal ANZ-533's built and they are available too. My pictures as well as any posted by Mark can't capture this knife's true beauty, it must be seen and handled in person to accomplish that. This model really compliments the first collaboration knife between Mark and Moki, the blue lapis models that are nearly all gone, so if you find yourselves liking this knife you'd best be purchasing yours soon before they're all gone too. And for any of you doubters, no I don't work for SSk, no I don't receive commissions for my posts, and no I am not a shill pushing Mark's products, I simply am impressed with these knives and think you will be too! 8)
WIN_20230206_13_10_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230206_13_10_03_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

When I look at your knife Marko, and indeed when I see any of Mark's Moki editions, one word always first pops into my mind: precision. To me, they look like they are designed to do some rare and delicate surgical operation. A surgeon's first choice.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Good point Garry. I know it performs surgery on an apple very well! lol! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This little knife came along with the new Moki from Mark at SSk recently! It's a 6 3/4" oal A.G. Russell "Cartridge" lockback with a SS drop-point blade with a n/n, all NS hardware/bolsters liners shield and pins no brass, colorful burgundy micarta covers although my pictures show them as black, and no clip. Comfortable weight of about 4 oz.'s and came factory sharpened. Showing a near perfect fit and finish. A fine candidate for a gentleman's watch/change vest pocket! 8)
WIN_20230206_13_11_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230206_13_10_57_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

An elegant little knife, Marco. I wonder if this was designed before or after Mr. Russell went to his reward.

Return to “Other foreign made knives”