My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Garry, it came from Mark's personal collection and you know how knowledgeable he is about AGR knives so elegant is a perfect description. What pray tell is "before or after Mr. Russell went to his reward"? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, AGR designed a good number of the knives he sold. At the time of his death he still had designs that had not yet gone into manufacture. His widow did say that some of these designs would in fact be produced. That is why I was wondering whether your knife had perhaps been issued after AGR had "gone to his reward", i.e. after his death.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Pretty sure this one was made before AGR died. I have searched and searched for another one like it to find out information on the Cutting Edge website and haven’t seen one yet. My hunch, and it’s only a hunch, from handling that knife and the way it compares to others by AGR, is that it was made in the 90’s possible the early 2000’s. I lean toward it being an older knife. It’s a rock solid little beast.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the info Mark. I appreciate it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for your info Garry. I appreciate it!
I hadn't heard the term "went to his reward" prior to this, and although I had a sneaking suspicion that was the meaning I wanted to be sure and you've confirmed it. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for your info also, Mark. I appreciate it too!
You certainly are right regarding this knife being a rock solid little beast, the moment I felt the weight that became very obvious.
I really like this knife! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Staying with the current theme of smaller knives than I usually post, I have this Rough Rider RR381 Interframe lockback that measures 5 1/4" oal and features a 440 SS dagger blade with n/n, NS body and liners, fileworked spine and liners, and faux MOP inserts on the covers. Comfortable weight of 2.7 oz.'s and arrived well sharpened.
Smooth and easy opening pull along with a firmer lockback release, and displays a near perfect fit and finish.
I saw it, I bought it, I love it! 8)
WIN_20230220_12_34_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230220_12_33_14_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Looking very good Marco.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Garry, it isn't your usual Rough Rider so I figured I'd scoop it up. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This Rough Rider linerlock arrived today, and although it has a blade stamp of "Rough Rider" there's no visible pattern number, so it very well may be a counterfeit!
It's 8" oal and has black composite cover inserts, along with the RR stamp just to the left of the stud.
Not a bad knife, real or not! 8)
WIN_20230227_13_11_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230227_13_12_14_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This beautiful knife is a couple steps up from the Rough Rider I recently posted!
It's an Al Mar "Gameskeeper" mid-lockback that features a SS dagger blade with swinguards that I will be leaving on, black micarta covers displaying a nice grain pattern, SS top bolster, NS bottom bolster guards and pins, brass liners, and lanyard hole.
Much to my liking it feels quite heavy in-hand coming in at nearly 5 oz.'s, and came to me very sharp.
Has a comfortable pull and detent, and the fit and finish is spectacular.
I was torn about removing the guards, since I thought without them my knife would look extremely stream-lined, but since they seem to suit the knife so well they're staying on.
This gorgeous knife is brought to us by the talented folks in Seki, Japan!
8)
WIN_20221130_15_54_48_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221130_15_54_21_Pro.jpg
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A great addition, Mark! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you, Dan.
When you have that knife in your hand you can almost feel the quality oozing from it.
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That Al Mar is a beauty Mark. Very sleek looking.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks, Mark.
You don't always comment on the knives I post, but when a quality piece like that Al Mar comes up you always have positive words for them. Shows you have good taste, my friend.
I am attempting to do similar, as I'm finding I'm spending an awful lot of time answering posts, so I'm going to be a bit more selective in the future and will hence have time for other things too. Good luck with that, huh? lol! It's not easy, cuz I don't want to disappoint anyone, and the beautiful knives they post make it that much harder to not comment. It's quite the dilemma actually! lol!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a few knives I haven't posted yet, so I'm gonna start today!
These first few are inexpensive folders that I found attractive and added to my collection so I won't say much about them, but when I get to the better models I'll expand my descriptions.
Enjoy guys!
8)
WIN_20220906_13_44_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220906_13_43_56_Pro.jpg
I like the pistol-grips on this one!
WIN_20221109_11_47_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221109_11_48_37_Pro.jpg
Same story for this knife!
WIN_20221228_11_18_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221228_11_18_34_Pro.jpg
Last one for pistol-grips!
WIN_20221223_12_14_27_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221223_12_14_06_Pro.jpg
I was attracted to the small clean profile on this little Browning folder!
WIN_20230103_11_38_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230103_11_37_48_Pro.jpg
An impulse buy as a match for my "Gameskeeper" cuz they look the same cept' for size!
Watch for more coming soon!
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I too like your Browning. The final photo is interesting; I've never seen that pattern before.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Those are nice Mark, I like those pistol grips as well, just makes it look very user friendly. All have a nice sleek look to them, except that last one, it looks like a great hunting knife companion for skinning.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:02 pm I too like your Browning. The final photo is interesting; I've never seen that pattern before.
Thank you, Garry.
That last knife is just a tiny little folder to go on your keyring, for $5.00 it's really nothing special. I got it simply cuz it looks similar to my "Gameskeeper", and you know how I like to collect LARGE/small sets. After I put it away after taking the pictures it won't likely see the light of day again for some time to come!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:17 pm Those are nice Mark, I like those pistol grips as well, just makes it look very user friendly. All have a nice sleek look to them, except that last one, it looks like a great hunting knife companion for skinning.
Thanks Mark.
As I was telling Garry, that little knife was purchased simply as a matching set for my new Al Mar "Gameskeeper" because they look similar, I highly doubt it would make for a good work knife, whether it be skinning or anything else. It belongs on a keyring!
You're correct about the pistol-grips, they make the feel of the knife in your hand secure and like it belongs there!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Here's another fistful of folders I've yet to post guys, and here they are! 8)
A 7 3/4" oal Sanrenmu brushed aluminum slip-joint!
WIN_20230404_14_00_28_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230404_14_00_55_Pro.jpg
And now an 11 1/2" oal Ridge Runner lockback filet knife!
WIN_20230404_14_01_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230404_14_01_26_Pro.jpg
Here we have an 8 1/2" oal very cool Belka "Brutalica" lockback squirrel knife!
WIN_20230404_14_01_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230404_14_02_14_Pro.jpg
This is an 8 1/4" oal Smith & Wesson all-metal lockback!
WIN_20230404_14_02_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230404_14_02_56_Pro.jpg
And last but not least this 6 3/4" oal Boker "Magnum" lockback with black covers instead of the usual white covers!
WIN_20230404_14_03_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230404_14_03_40_Pro.jpg
I apologize for the lousy pictures, the older my camera gets the worse they are! ::shrug::
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, this is a highly interesting group of knives. I was especially drawn to the filet knife and the Brutalica. ::tu:: ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Glad you enjoyed them, Garry.
The filet knife is just a BIG ole' lockback that attracted me with it's size, but the addition of the white covers seems to offer it a bit of class too.
The Belka knife is one I'd been watching for awhile, and after reading a post from one of the David's about a copy he bought I picked up mine, and I'm glad I finally did. It wasn't overly expensive, and is one fine knife.
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Hey Marco, You really have some interesting pieces. Being a "traditionalist" I'm drawn to the stodgy old Boker. :D J.O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey, thanks J.O'.!
I posted that Boker in other threads too, and I'm getting all kinds of compliments on it.
I liked it cuz it has black covers when the only other covers I've seen are white, but wouldn't you know it, I just saw the knife on ebay with yellow covers. I still like the black best!
God hearing from you buddy!
8)
8)

Return to “Other foreign made knives”