My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Madmarco »

Well, you were right about May comin' on strong, John, I received 3 new knives yesterday that I'll post one a day cuz in my opinion each deserves it's own listing as opposed to the groups I've been posting recently!
This first model is a 9 1/8" oal Parker slip-joint featuring a SS Tanto blade, NS bolsters, brass liners and pins, and very nice aging white camel bone covers. Nice weight of about 5 oz.'s and arrived sharp. Fit and finish is excellent for an older knife, along with a 5 pull and half-stop culminating in a loud "clunking" detent. The run-up on the knife doesn't match completely, but I can easily disregard that tiny flaw on an otherwise very cool knife! There are Parker stamps and etches present and it was made in Japan.
I was told there's some history that comes with my new knife! AFTER I'd paid, the seller claimed the knife was carried by the Secret Service agent assigned to Ronald Reagan the day he was shot in 1981, as well as 20 yrs. later in NYC as he stood and watched the Twin Towers collapse in 2001. I'd already paid so the seller had no reason to BS me, but 2 serious incidents with the same agent 20 yrs. apart.... ::hmm:: seems a bit suspect to me, unless SS agents don't have an expiry date! ::shrug::
I'm gonna do some investigating, and should I find I've been hood-winked that seller won't be safe anywhere in this world! lol!
Ya know those knives that come along every so often that are just special to you, well, this is one of em"!
The knife on the bottom in the last picture was already mine, but now it's got it's brother with him!
8)
WIN_20230503_12_01_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230503_12_01_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230504_14_49_44_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is the 2nd from an order of 3 from Mark at SSk I recently received, and I've been describing it in other threads as "elegant", and I see no reason to change that now!
This knife is, IMHO, the epitome of a gentleman's knife. It's an acceptable 7 3/4" oal Paragon lockback and has a single SS blade that I've also been describing in different threads as spey but I didn't capture the image very well in my picture, solid SS frame along with richly grained Cocobolo cover inserts, tight run-up, and no visible pins. It carries a weight of about 5 oz.'s and came freshly sharpened. Being older and used one would expect the fit n' finish to be flawed somewhat, nope uh-uh not this knife, it's near perfect. The 5 pull feels easy and the soft yet firm detent feels good too with no fear of nipping off finger-tips. Made in Seki, Japan. My new knife was barley listed in Mark's store before I saw it and knew it had to be mine, so BANG, I drew my six-shooter and pulled the trigger! My first impression upon viewing this model was it's similar appearance to my Blackjack "Mamba", with their all SS frames and same Cocobolo covers!
8)
WIN_20230503_12_03_11_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230503_12_02_52_Pro.jpg
I was getting better pictures yesterday, but it would seem the clouds have rolled-in again today! ::facepalm::
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

The 3rd knife I promised to post and it's a dandy! It came in an order of knives from Mark at SSk, and he had to buy it from another AAPK seller who doesn't ship internationally and turn around and sell it to me. Mark is a very accommodating friend, in case ya didn't already know!
Before you is an 8" oal manual Bonsa floating guard non-locking slip-joint, that has a SS dagger blade, and all solid SS components right down to the pins. The swinguards "float" so when the blade is closed they tuck right up beside it and "float" open and stationary when the blade is opened.
It has substantial weight of about 6 oz.'s, and unfortunately the previous owner sharpened it, but it's not too bad.
The blade pull comes-in about 5 and the detent closes with a "thunk". Fit and finish has no flaws. My new knife has Bonsa stamps and markings and was made in Germany.
This is kindda a "grail" knife for me, and one I doubt I'd have been able to acquire without my connection to AAPK!
Thank you Mark, AAPK, and fellow members! ::handshake::
8)
WIN_20230503_12_04_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230503_12_03_54_Pro.jpg
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:04 pm The 3rd knife I promised to post and it's a dandy! It came in an order of knives from Mark at SSk, and he had to buy it from another AAPK seller who doesn't ship internationally and turn around and sell it to me. Mark is a very accommodating friend, in case ya didn't already know!
Before you is an 8" oal manual Bonsa floating guard non-locking slip-joint, that has a SS dagger blade, and all solid SS components right down to the pins. The swinguards "float" so when the blade is closed they tuck right up beside it and "float" open and stationary when the blade is opened.
It has substantial weight of about 6 oz.'s, and unfortunately the previous owner sharpened it, but it's not too bad.
The blade pull comes-in about 5 and the detent closes with a "thunk". Fit and finish has no flaws. My new knife has Bonsa stamps and markings and was made in Germany.
This is kindda a "grail" knife for me, and one I doubt I'd have been able to acquire without my connection to AAPK!
Thank you Mark, AAPK, and fellow members! ::handshake::
8)WIN_20230503_12_04_21_Pro.jpgWIN_20230503_12_03_54_Pro.jpg
Absolutely beautiful knife you acquired ! What are the scales made of. They are beautiful but can’t tell from the picture what they are made of. Looks like an acrylic ?
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:55 pm This is the 2nd from an order of 3 from Mark at SSk I recently received, and I've been describing it in other threads as "elegant", and I see no reason to change that now!
This knife is, IMHO, the epitome of a gentleman's knife. It's an acceptable 7 3/4" oal Paragon lockback and has a single SS blade that I've also been describing in different threads as spey but I didn't capture the image very well in my picture, solid SS frame along with richly grained Cocobolo cover inserts, tight run-up, and no visible pins. It carries a weight of about 5 oz.'s and came freshly sharpened. Being older and used one would expect the fit n' finish to be flawed somewhat, nope uh-uh not this knife, it's near perfect. The 5 pull feels easy and the soft yet firm detent feels good too with no fear of nipping off finger-tips. Made in Seki, Japan. My new knife was barley listed in Mark's store before I saw it and knew it had to be mine, so BANG, I drew my six-shooter and pulled the trigger! My first impression upon viewing this model was it's similar appearance to my Blackjack "Mamba", with their all SS frames and same Cocobolo covers!
8)WIN_20230503_12_03_11_Pro.jpgWIN_20230503_12_02_52_Pro.jpgI was getting better pictures yesterday, but it would seem the clouds have rolled-in again today! ::facepalm::
Another winner. You’re 2 for 2.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:01 pm Well, you were right about May comin' on strong, John, I received 3 new knives yesterday that I'll post one a day cuz in my opinion each deserves it's own listing as opposed to the groups I've been posting recently!
This first model is a 9 1/8" oal Parker slip-joint featuring a SS Tanto blade, NS bolsters, brass liners and pins, and very nice aging white camel bone covers. Nice weight of about 5 oz.'s and arrived sharp. Fit and finish is excellent for an older knife, along with a 5 pull and half-stop culminating in a loud "clunking" detent. The run-up on the knife doesn't match completely, but I can easily disregard that tiny flaw on an otherwise very cool knife! There are Parker stamps and etches present and it was made in Japan.
I was told there's some history that comes with my new knife! AFTER I'd paid, the seller claimed the knife was carried by the Secret Service agent assigned to Ronald Reagan the day he was shot in 1981, as well as 20 yrs. later in NYC as he stood and watched the Twin Towers collapse in 2001. I'd already paid so the seller had no reason to BS me, but 2 serious incidents with the same agent 20 yrs. apart.... ::hmm:: seems a bit suspect to me, unless SS agents don't have an expiry date! ::shrug::
I'm gonna do some investigating, and should I find I've been hood-winked that seller won't be safe anywhere in this world! lol!
Ya know those knives that come along every so often that are just special to you, well, this is one of em"!
The knife on the bottom in the last picture was already mine, but now it's got it's brother with him!
8)WIN_20230503_12_01_36_Pro.jpgWIN_20230503_12_01_22_Pro.jpgWIN_20230504_14_49_44_Pro.jpg
Another winner.
3 for 3 ! Who did you order these from??
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey Oscar!
Thanks so much for the compliments, it's always nice when someone seems to like your knives as much as you do!
O.K., the entire knife is made of stainless steel including the covers, and Mark from SSk bought it used from the AAPK store "Pachinko 799" because "P" doesn't ship to Canada, and Mark and I have done close to 50 deals so he ships to me in Canada regularly with no problems.
The Paragon folder was listed in Mark's store and I bought it from him there.
The Parker with the Tanto blade I bought used on ebay again from a seller who won't ship internationally but after requesting he make an exception he agreed and sent it. The Parker on the bottom in the comparison picture came from ebay last year.
In my "Mail Call" OP I said that the 3 knives came in 2 different orders and just happened to arrive at the same time, but 2 came from Mark and 1 from ebay.
Hope that helps and thanks again!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This knife is my most blatant example of "Monkey see monkey do" cuz I bought it directly after viewing a copy posted by Rick/Railsplitter about 3 weeks ago!
It's a Chinese made QSP 6 3/4" oal Ohio River Jack slip-joint that sports a Bohler M390 Wharncliffe blade with twin pulls, Titanium bolsters, SS back spring and pins, and black canvas micarta covers. This knife has a nail-breaking pull of about 7 along with a similar half-stop and detent. Top-notch fit and finish.
I'm beginning to believe that the only way to stop me from buying knives is to commit me, so I guess the hunt continues!
8)
WIN_20230516_14_54_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230516_14_54_01_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is a fairly recent Ebay acquisition that I'm just getting around to posting today!
It's an 8 1/4" oal Schatt & Morgan Series X Harness Jack lockback, featuring a spear-point SS blade with long-pull, steel bolsters and shield, brass liners and pins, and jigged creamy brown stag/bone covers that are turning faded green along the edges, if that helps anyone identify exactly what material the are.
Has an acceptable weight of about 4 oz.'s and arrived freshly sharpened.
Walks and talks at about 4, and the fit and finish is phenomenal for an older knife.
The Series X denote a 2000 build, 1 of 600 made.
The markings are both S & M and Queen Cutlery stamps and etches.
This one is kindda out of character from what I usually buy, but I'm wanting to expand my thinking regarding choices so I thought it was a good place to start!
8)
WIN_20230328_13_04_50_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230328_13_05_27_Pro.jpg
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:31 pm This is a fairly recent Ebay acquisition that I'm just getting around to posting today!
It's an 8 1/4" oal Schatt & Morgan Series X Harness Jack lockback, featuring a spear-point SS blade with long-pull, NS bolsters and shield, brass liners and pins, and jigged creamy brown stag/bone covers that are turning faded green along the edges, if that helps anyone identify exactly what material the are.
Has an acceptable weight of about 4 oz.'s and arrived freshly sharpened.
Walks and talks at about 4, and the fit and finish is phenomenal for an older knife.
The Series X denote a 2000 build, 1 of 600 made.
The markings are both S & M and Queen Cutlery stamps and etches.
This one is kindda out of character from what I usually buy, but I'm wanting to expand my thinking regarding choices so I thought it was a good place to start!
8)WIN_20230328_13_04_50_Pro.jpgWIN_20230328_13_05_27_Pro.jpg
Nice find ! I quit buying anything on FleaBay as it’s not always an accurate description of the knife. But you did great in this case.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You know Oscar, when I bought the knife it was due to it's length and single spear-point blade, my usual reasons, and it wasn't until I logged-in and began reading some S & M threads that I found most of the information I posted because I'm not familiar with this brand.
I didn't know it's from Series X, what the different tang stamps meant, etc., but I'm glad I did cuz I'd really like to improve on my knife knowledge, and I couldn't be in a better school than this one!
Thanks for your kind words, man!
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:58 pm You know Oscar, when I bought the knife it was due to it's length and single spear-point blade, my usual reasons, and it wasn't until I logged-in and began reading some S & M threads that I found most of the information I posted because I'm not familiar with this brand.
I didn't know it's from Series X, what the different tang stamps meant, etc., but I'm glad I did cuz I'd really like to improve on my knife knowledge, and I couldn't be in a better school than this one!
Thanks for your kind words, man!
8)
Marco, Schatt and Morgan was purchased by Queen way back when. They were made by Queen. A S&M made back when they existed as a knife company would be very rare and extremely expensive.
Here’s a good source for the company history:
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... att-morgan
I have posted some older Queen and S&M knives that I have here in the gallery section.
Some dating back to the 50’s in mint condition.
My favorites have genuine Winterbottom bone covers.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for all the info, Oscar.
TPK is where I just bought my Ohio River Jack that I posted, so I am familiar with the site, besides, they have all kinds of folders I'd love to get my hands on.
A most interesting article about S&M knives! I assume the rare expensive models you speak of are the S&M builds from early 1900-1933, yes? I was reading about those yesterday.
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've had this one for a bit but am just getting around to posting it now!
This is a 10 3/4" oal Extrema Ratio BF3 "Dark Talon" linerlock model with a Bohler N690 Wharncliffe blade featuring dual-studs, a single SS liner, an adjustable pivot, a pocket-clip, and black anticorodal anodized aluminum 2-piece body.
It weighs 4.3 oz.'s which is just shy of my liking yet still acceptable, and came factory sharp.
The walk and talk is unique IMHO, with the blade flying out fast and smoothly upon a nudge on the stud, and equally smooth closing once the liner is released. More on this later.
I can't find any flaws in the fit and finish, and believe me I looked. Made in Italy.
Regarding the opening/closing of this knife, I am totally impressed with how well the assisted opening operates with just the slightest nudge on the stud. I discovered that if I position my thumb up against the side of the stud and simply "flick" it very much like flipping a coin, the blade explodes from the channel into the locked position, and this seemed impossible considering the size of the knife. When closing the blade, after the liner is released the blade simply falls back into the channel with no resistance at all, cool as cool can be! If you ever get the chance to open one of this model you'll know what I mean!
If Customs examined this knife they would seize and destroy it immediately, but I was fortunate enough to find it here in Canada so there was no Customs! Chock one up for the good guys!
8)
WIN_20221117_13_10_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221117_13_10_40_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This knife is a MANUAL RPK (Russian Prison Knife) lockback, and it measures 8 3/4" oal and features a SS drop-point blade, SS hardware right down to the liners, minor filework to the spine and blade, and brown Bakelite covers.
Has a pleasant weight of about 4 oz.'s and arrived unsharpened. One aspect of this knife that I don't much care for is the blade pull, which I would say comes in at about 1,000 ::facepalm:: , so I must use it's tiny 1/8" long nail-nic for opening, which is hard to find it's so small. The closing detent is firm. Although it's used and shows signs of aging the fit and finish remains quite good.
I originally thought this was a scale-release auto, but after consulting the seller who informed me it's a manual I decided to buy it anyway so I'd have one represented in my collection. Would make for a great pocket knife, but one manual RPK is enough for me so I won't be buying more!
8)
WIN_20230529_15_43_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230529_15_44_14_Pro.jpg
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:23 pm This knife is a MANUAL RPK (Russian Prison Knife) lockback, and it measures 8 3/4" oal and features a SS drop-point blade, SS hardware right down to the liners, minor filework to the spine and blade, and brown Bakelite covers.
Has a pleasant weight of about 4 oz.'s and arrived unsharpened. One aspect of this knife that I don't much care for is the blade pull, which I would say comes in at about 1,000 ::facepalm:: , so I must use it's tiny 1/8" long nail-nic for opening, which is hard to find it's so small. The closing detent is firm. Although it's used and shows signs of aging the fit and finish remains quite good.
I originally thought this was a scale-release auto, but after consulting the seller who informed me it's a manual I decided to buy it anyway so I'd have one represented in my collection. Would make for a great pocket knife, but one manual RPK is enough for me so I won't be buying more!
8)WIN_20230529_15_43_40_Pro.jpgWIN_20230529_15_44_14_Pro.jpg
Marco, Very nice design. Hard to believe it was made in prison. Must be issued to the guards.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

The way I understand it, Oscar, is the prisoners build the knives with the administration's blessings, and then turn around and TRADE them to the guards for canteen, cigarettes, candy, etc., who then either keep them for themselves or make them available to the public.
Some ex-prisoners continue making the knives after being released, and that's where these better finished models come from, just like the model in my pictures. It's not hard to distinguish between a knife that was made inside and one made outside, cuz the models from the outside are more refined and better made due to the builder now having access to better materials and machinery, whereas a knife made inside still shows signs of being built by someone who lacks access to materials and machinery. So far, all my 5 models appear to be made outside, confirmed by their more professional appearance and refined fit and finish.
Even though the outside knives seem to be better made, they still show signs of being built by non-professionals, an example being the ridiculously hard pull on my most recent knife. When I stated it has a pull of about 1,000, as much as I was kidding the builder had no idea how to make the proper walk and talk on a slip-joint knife.
I can live with flaws like this, but in all honesty had I known how difficult it would be to simply open my knife I'd have certainly given it more thought before buying it, but of course the eBay seller wouldn't voluntarily divulged such information. It doesn't bother me enough to return it though!
There's lots of information about this subject that you can find by doing a "Quick Links" "Search" for "Russian Prison Knives".
I bought this one due to it's "Sodbuster" design, a very simple basic design I'm quite fond of!
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:25 pm The way I understand it, Oscar, is the prisoners build the knives with the administration's blessings, and then turn around and TRADE them to the guards for canteen, cigarettes, candy, etc., who then either keep them for themselves or make them available to the public.
Some ex-prisoners continue making the knives after being released, and that's where these better finished models come from, just like the model in my pictures. It's not hard to distinguish between a knife that was made inside and one made outside, cuz the models from the outside are more refined and better made due to the builder now having access to better materials and machinery, whereas a knife made inside still shows signs of being built by someone who lacks access to materials and machinery. So far, all my 5 models appear to be made outside, confirmed by their more professional appearance and refined fit and finish.
Even though the outside knives seem to be better made, they still show signs of being built by non-professionals, an example being the ridiculously hard pull on my most recent knife. When I stated it has a pull of about 1,000, as much as I was kidding the builder had no idea how to make the proper walk and talk on a slip-joint knife.
I can live with flaws like this, but in all honesty had I known how difficult it would be to simply open my knife I'd have certainly given it more thought before buying it, but of course the eBay seller wouldn't voluntarily divulged such information. It doesn't bother me enough to return it though!
There's lots of information about this subject that you can find by doing a "Quick Links" "Search" for "Russian Prison Knives".
I bought this one due to it's "Sodbuster" design, a very simple basic design I'm quite fond of!
8)
Thanks Marco. It is not something I am familiar with and your explanation is very thorough and helpful.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Glad to help, Oscar, anytime! ::handshake::
If you have an interest in buying any of these RPK's just let me know and I'd be happy to provide you with the contact information. ::nod::
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This knife comes from a recent ebay auction I won, but the seller had very little information about it other than to say it's an 8" oal lockback with a SS spear-point blade, NS bolsters, brass liners pins and lanyard tube, micarta covers, is missing the swinguard as witnessed by the hole in the tang, and was built prior to 1960. It has "FLASHER" etched on the front blade and "440 STAINLESS/JAPAN" stamped into the rear tang.
Fairly light for my liking at only about 3 oz.'s and came totally dull. Walks and talks around 4, with a fit and finish that would rival a new knife considering it's 60+ years old.
If anyone is familiar with this knife please feel free to provide any additional information!
8)
WIN_20230601_20_15_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230601_20_14_56_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm trying to keep all my manuals in one thread, so kindly excuse the origins of this first knife posted since it's a foreign knife thread!
It's an 8 1/4" oal Queen swinguard lockback with a SS spear-point blade and liners, NS bolsters/guards/shield/and pins, and drab green linen micarta covers.
Light for my liking coming in at only about 3 oz.'s, but it arrived SHARP.
The walk is about 4 along with a very firm lever depression to initiate closing followed by a snapping turtle detent talk.
The fit and finish is superb for a used knife. Made in the good ole' USA.
When I first saw this knife in Gary's store I instantly reverted to my quirk regarding swinguards and thought, "I wonder how it would look without the guards", but as soon as I had it in-hand it became obvious just how much the guards add to the knife and decided to leave them on.
The second knife is a 7 1/4" oal Robert Klaas lockback with a SS spear-point blade, NS bolsters/liners/2-Crane shield/and pins.
Also quite light at only about 2.5 oz.'s, and came equally SHARP.
A considerably easier walk of about 2 accompanied by a much easier talk leading up to a snappy detent.
The fit and finish is impeccable. Made in good ole' Germany.
The detailed jigging is what caught my eye on this one, along with it's overall clean appearance, and that prompted me to request from Gary that he ship to me in Canada which he gladly agreed to. Thanks Gary!
My tastes seem to be slowly expanding on the knives I like and wish to accumulate, and these 2 make for a fine start!
8)
WIN_20230623_13_17_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230623_13_18_26_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230623_13_18_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230623_13_19_35_Pro.jpg
EDIT: I'm going to retract my disclaimer regarding where the Queen knife was made, as I've since read much about the changes Queen has gone through, and from what I read that knife may have foreign origins. I'll leave it to each of you to decide!
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I recently received these 2 Spanish made slipjoints from a previously unknown to me online Spanish site, and they are much nicer than anticipated!
Each knife is an Albainox 7 1/4" oal with a SS dagger blade, NS bolsters pins and fileworked liners, fileworked spine, and white/black decorated G-10 covers. Of course, made in Spain.
Comfortable weight of 3.8 oz.'s and they came sharp.
Silky smooth walk and talk with a half-stop, along with perfect fit and finishes.
This was one of those unexpected deals from a new site that you're apprehensive about cuz you hadn't heard of them previously, but after checking them out as much as possible you eventually feel comfortable doing the deal, and the final product turns out to be far beyond your expectations.
The cost of both knives was so low I was certain it must be a scam, but since so little money was involved I took the chance and ended up pleasantly surprised! I'm still finding it hard to believe they can sell such solid well made knives for the price they do!
Talk about a gentleman's vest pocket knife!
8)
WIN_20230626_14_57_34_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230626_14_58_00_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230630_11_47_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230626_14_58_24_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230626_14_59_05_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230630_11_48_13_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

A pair of Melon-Testers slip-joints for you to view today, guys!
First knife is a 9 3/4" oal new and modern EZO Queen brand with a 440C SS spey blade featuring a coined n/n, NS bolsters shield and pins, brass liners, and blinding red Kirinite covers.
Weighing-in at about 2.5 oz.'s and it arrived very sharp.
Comfortable walk and talk of about 4 with a half-stop, and a superb fit and finish. Made in China.
Second knife is a 9 1/4" oal old and rare Revesz brand with a SS spear-point blade and usual n/n, NS bolsters and pins, brass liners, fileworked spine, and milky stag covers.
About the same weight of 2.5 oz.'s and came just as sharp as the first knife.
A firmer walk and talk of about 6 and no discernable half-stop, along with a near perfect fit and finish considering how old it is.
Regarding the origins of this one, although the seller stated it was made in Sweden every indication I found online says Hungary, and since the stamp on the blade that reads "ROZSDAMENTES" translates to stainless steel I gotta go with Hungary. Many of the examples online lead to this exact knife on ebay, which is where I got it and it's the same knife.
I don't know if the company is still in business, but the examples of their knives I saw online are so nice I'm keeping my eye out for more available models!
8)
WIN_20221223_12_12_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221223_12_12_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230627_14_17_52_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230627_14_17_25_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Only one to show today, guys!
My 6" oal RoseCraft RCT002 slip-joint with a D2 drop-point blade featuring a long deep pull and partial swedge, SS bolsters liners and shield, NS pins, and smokey grey bone covers.
Weighs a comfortable 3.5 oz.'s and came perfectly sharpened. Made in China.
Just how I'd imagined, the big ole' finger choil makes the knife fit snuggly in your hand with my first finger positioned comfortably inside it. It feels so natural I'm considering taking up whittling!
One complaint I do have is the stupidly strong 10+ pull accompanied by a half-stop and equally strong closing detent that surely would remove fingertips if they happened to be in the way. Even Quick Release oil had no effect on loosening it up. Quite the defect by the engineers, IMO. A little saving grace is the fact the pull is wide and deep enough to allow for a little thumb meat to fit so my thumbnail doesn't have to do all the work. It's Moki like run-up also detracts from the ridiculous pull and snapping detent.
I think these knives will become quite popular with Rough Rider fans since their builds are so similar!
8)
WIN_20230704_18_41_28_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230704_18_40_07_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Recently won on ebay is this so-called "antique" 8" oal Kaufmann slip-joint with a SS spear-point blade, SS threaded bolsters liners and pins, and dark brown wood covers. The seller described it as antique being made prior to 1960. Does 63 years old constitute "antique"?
It weighs about 3 oz.'s and came to me unsharpened.
It's walk and talk is firm with a half-stop accompanied by a snappy detent when closing.
It displays an exceptional fit and finish considering it's age.
The front tang stamp reads, "KAUFMANN/GERMANY", and the rear "SOLINGEN", along with front cover raised gold lettering reading, "POWELL RIVER-ALBERNI", and this is where my doubts about it being antique originate since Powell River, Alberni is a modern day city on the west coast of Canada in British Columbia. Due to the advertising, IMO this was a length-of-service gift knife.
I was attracted by this knife's profile, but once I'd handled it the feel in my hand sold me on how much I like it!
8)
WIN_20230711_14_36_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230711_14_35_58_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “Other foreign made knives”