Indian Goat Brand knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Nephilim

Indian Goat Brand knife

Post by Nephilim »

Picked up an old Indian Goat Brand pocketknife.
Brown horn scales (goat, I presume), steel bolsters, steel blade.
Brown horn scales (goat, I presume), steel bolsters, steel blade.
I think the blade is stainless steel, quite shiny and rust free. The tang stamp reads "39" but I don't think that's a date.
I think the blade is stainless steel, quite shiny and rust free. The tang stamp reads "39" but I don't think that's a date.
It has a nice halfstop and a strong spring, with an "India" tang stamp on the opposite side.
It has a nice halfstop and a strong spring, with an "India" tang stamp on the opposite side.
This is a nice little pocketknife, with a drop point blade, sharpening choil, kick and a halfstop. I suspect the "39" tang stamp is some kind of model number, I've seen a larger supposedly 1940's dated version with a "no. 54" tang stamp. All hand labor, judging by the rivets and stamps.
kootenay joe

Re: Indian Goat Brand knife

Post by kootenay joe »

Neat knife ! Too often we assume if made in India or Pakistan a knife is of low quality but i am sure some of their cutlery cuts and holds up well.
Have you tried out this "Goat" brand knife ?
kj
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

No, the blade is dull and I haven't sharpened it. I typically don't sharpen and use vintage knives in my collection, as I have no shortage of nice, sharp, contemporary knives at hand.I suspect it would work fine, although it might not hold an edge for too long, as it is an older stainless steel.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:00 am Neat knife ! Too often we assume if made in India or Pakistan a knife is of low quality but i am sure some of their cutlery cuts and holds up well.
Have you tried out this "Goat" brand knife ?
kj
Roland, it's great to see you back on-line! How are you doing? :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi Herb. I am recovering well. Don't think i lost too many brain cells :D Surgeon says to allow at least 6 months to recover and for sure my stamina is still on the low side but i feel happy and content.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
kootenay joe wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:28 am Hi Herb. I am recovering well. Don't think i lost too many brain cells :D Surgeon says to allow at least 6 months to recover and for sure my stamina is still on the low side but i feel happy and content.
kj

Return to “Other foreign made knives”