Why some people hate pocket knives

A place to watch or share knife related videos.
catspa

Re: Why some people hate pocket knives

Post by catspa »

Post edited by an AAPK Administrator for profanity.

Please remember we are a family friendly forum and many of us like to show pictures of the pocketknives and the historical content posted here to their children and grandchildren.

Post containing profanity will be removed in their entirety. It is not the Administrator's job to edit someone else's language. The entire post will simply be removed.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:53 am
stagman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:26 am I make sure I got my knife afore my wallet & keys !!!
And cudgee, we ain't all urbanized, it's 22 miles for me to the closes grocery or drug store
and got one neighbor bout 3/4 mile away, mean ass desert between us
And GSPTOPDOG, I carried a knife since 5th grade and ain't never had a problem, and now 70 yrs old
There may be a lot wrong, and right....
but thank you George Washington for the Republic of The United States of America !!!
Proud to be a part of it !!!

Stag
George Washington? ::hmm:: Oh,,, ::idea:: Wasn't he that old white guy that owned slaves and was a nationalist and a white supremacist? ::paranoid:: I think that's what I remember from what the talking Heads on CNN said...
I guess you forgot to mention this about George....
https://www.mountvernon.org/george-wash ... 1799-will/
Reckon he about 70 years ahead of his time seeing we fought a civil war to end the practice
There ain't no other nation on the planet like the USA, and George was a driving factor in its inception
winst

Post by winst »

I live in the hill country of Eastern KY where knives, are an essential tool, carried by most everyone. When I was a young lad of 12 yrs old I was ask by my old mountain "Granny" to come to the garden with her. We were pulling weeds and vines out of the tomato patch. Some of these morning glory vines that entangle the plants are hard to remove without cutting them. My old granny ask me for my pocket knife in which of course I replied "I Hant got" one. She immediately went into a tirade. A man that don't carry a pocket knife is no account. If he will work he must have a pocket knife. No pocket knife is a sure sign that a man don't work and don't want to work. The next day my "Granny ask me for a nickle. I just happened to have one in my pocket that I intended to spend on a cold Pepsi at the local "jottum down store". She explained to my why it was unlucky to give a knife to some one without taking small token of value in the exchange. I slowly handed her the nickle and she handed me a brand new Case stag handle knife. I can't remember the model but I believe it was a half whittler. I was the proudest "man" in HI Hat KY for days. I have no doubt that this implanted an appreciation that grew into the love I have for "old" pocket to this day.
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

winst wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm I live in the hill country of Eastern KY where knives, are an essential tool, carried by most everyone. When I was a young lad of 12 yrs old I was ask by my old mountain "Granny" to come to the garden with her. We were pulling weeds and vines out of the tomato patch. Some of these morning glory vines that entangle the plants are hard to remove without cutting them. My old granny ask me for my pocket knife in which of course I replied "I Hant got" one. She immediately went into a tirade. A man that don't carry a pocket knife is no account. If he will work he must have a pocket knife. No pocket knife is a sure sign that a man don't work and don't want to work. The next day my "Granny ask me for a nickle. I just happened to have one in my pocket that I intended to spend on a cold Pepsi at the local "jottum down store". She explained to my why it was unlucky to give a knife to some one without taking small token of value in the exchange. I slowly handed her the nickle and she handed me a brand new Case stag handle knife. I can't remember the model but I believe it was a half whittler. I was the proudest "man" in HI Hat KY for days. I have no doubt that this implanted an appreciation that grew into the love I have for "old" pocket to this day.
She asked for a nickel because she didn’t want to cut y’all’s friendship.

I live in Texas, and I hate pocket knives because they cost too much! :wink:
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good to see the Administrators doing a great job again. As if they haven't got enough on their hands with the daily spammer. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
winst

Post by winst »

BFORSE wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:41 pm
winst wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm I live in the hill country of Eastern KY where knives, are an essential tool, carried by most everyone. When I was a young lad of 12 yrs old I was ask by my old mountain "Granny" to come to the garden with her. We were pulling weeds and vines out of the tomato patch. Some of these morning glory vines that entangle the plants are hard to remove without cutting them. My old granny ask me for my pocket knife in which of course I replied "I Hant got" one. She immediately went into a tirade. A man that don't carry a pocket knife is no account. If he will work he must have a pocket knife. No pocket knife is a sure sign that a man don't work and don't want to work. The next day my "Granny ask me for a nickle. I just happened to have one in my pocket that I intended to spend on a cold Pepsi at the local "jottum down store". She explained to my why it was unlucky to give a knife to some one without taking small token of value in the exchange. I slowly handed her the nickle and she handed me a brand new Case stag handle knife. I can't remember the model but I believe it was a half whittler. I was the proudest "man" in HI Hat KY for days. I have no doubt that this implanted an appreciation that grew into the love I have for "old" pocket to this day.

I have spent some time in Texas and I don't see how you could make it without a pocket knife.
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

winst wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 am
BFORSE wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:41 pm

I have spent some time in Texas and I don't see how you could make it without a pocket knife.
It seems like there is always something that needs to get cut down here; from toenails to cane poles. I’m sure it’s like that in Kentucky too.

Around here it is an essential tool, a badge signifying the coming of age, an object denoting forethought and preparedness.

I could be wrong but I think we have the biggest CASE knife store in the country, up in Spurger.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Bladesman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:54 pm I am from the UK but since 2004 I’ve lived in Los Angeles.
I seem to recall you stated that your intent is to foster discussion. If so, you certainly succeeded in this case. One thing got me curious: were you in the UK when they got (in my opinion, anyway) too carried away with their knife legislation?

As for the colorful language, I use these guys ::censored:: ::cuss:: ...sparingly.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Bladesman

Post by Bladesman »

I came to the US in 2004. I seem to remember back then in the UK you could own a knife that locked but were restricted in size. Now you can’t own any locking knife, it’s slip joints only under 3 inches
catspa

Post by catspa »

Cool story, winst. Never been to Kentucky, but I like your granny already. I have cut many a morning glory out of my strawberry patch. Don’t go anywhere without your knife!

Parker
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Thats 9 minutes of my life I wont ever get back :roll: that said I have carried one every day since I was 5. ( still have that knife :mrgreen: ) carried one to school and if a teacher needed to cut something they would ask me for my knife because they knew I had one and it was sharp. This world has changed so much and most of it for the worst.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The very existence of the OP demonstrates the extent to which society has fallen. Just 50 years ago, or even less, the thought of anyone having “hate” for a pocket knife would have been ludicrous. We now live in a society that empathizes with, and justifies the behaviors of the deviant among us, while vilifying and transferring blame to the various inanimate objects the deviants/criminals use.

I shudder every time I hear someone say “There ought to be a law”. We don’t need more laws. In fact we need fewer laws and more civility, courtesy and respect for the property and rights of others. But that’s not the way of either tyranny, or anarchy.

I haven’t watched the OP video, nor do I intend to. Based on its title, If it doesn’t address societal degradation it missed the mark.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:52 pm We don’t need more laws.
Especially when enforcing the ones already on the books seems to be unduly difficult.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Bladesman

Post by Bladesman »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:52 pm The very existence of the OP demonstrates the extent to which society has fallen. Just 50 years ago, or even less, the thought of anyone having “hate” for a pocket knife would have been ludicrous. We now live in a society that empathizes with, and justifies the behaviors of the deviant among us, while vilifying and transferring blame to the various inanimate objects the deviants/criminals use.

I shudder every time I hear someone say “There ought to be a law”. We don’t need more laws. In fact we need fewer laws and more civility, courtesy and respect for the property and rights of others. But that’s not the way of either tyranny, or anarchy.

I haven’t watched the OP video, nor do I intend to. Based on its title, If it doesn’t address societal degradation it missed the mark.

Ken
If you haven’t watched the video then I don’t think you can say it doesn’t address social degradation. Don’t judge something you haven’t even had the courtesy to watch. If anything that “civility and respect” you mentioned is not present anywhere in your post. Also saying my very existence shows how far society has fallen shows a total lack of respect and civility
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sorry you have taken my post in a way not intended. "OP" means the "original post" in a thread, not the original poster. The reference is to the post, (more specifically the title of the post). From your response I guess you've taken "OP" to mean you personally. If so I apologize - that was never my intent.

Nor did I state what the video does, or does not include. I said "based on its title, if it does not include........"

I stand by the rest of my statement. The point is still the same. I'll say again, the fact a discussion of "hate" for a pocket knife even exists demonstrates how society has changed, and not for the better, in the ways described in my post. "We now live in a society that empathizes with, and justifies the behaviors of the deviant among us, while vilifying and transferring blame to the various inanimate objects the deviants/criminals use.”

If you disagree with that then we disagree. That's okay too. I stated my opinion, you've stated yours. The great thing about America is we are allowed to do that. ::handshake:: You make videos and "advertise" them here for those who wish to view them. I'm glad you enjoy doing that. That I choose not to watch is not personal - it's not about you. Aside from some music and an occassional "how to" tutorial when I need to fix something, I'm generally not interested in watching videos.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

My perspective is that location makes a huge difference. For those not in the main cities, there is no prejudice against knives or those who carry them. I'm in rural Pennsylvania, and every man and woman I know carries a knife. And most children over 8 have a pocket knife as well.
Carl B.
winst

Post by winst »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:52 pm The very existence of the OP demonstrates the extent to which society has fallen. Just 50 years ago, or even less, the thought of anyone having “hate” for a pocket knife would have been ludicrous. We now live in a society that empathizes with, and justifies the behaviors of the deviant among us, while vilifying and transferring blame to the various inanimate objects the deviants/criminals use.

Ken
[/quote I was of the notion that our country had sunken to such near terminal condition because we do not have enough "good" people to vote us back into harmony....I was wrong..its because these "good" people don't vote. They continually bitch about our country's leadership but won't go near the voting places.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Bladesman wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:41 pm I came to the US in 2004. I seem to remember back then in the UK you could own a knife that locked but were restricted in size. Now you can’t own any locking knife, it’s slip joints only under 3 inches
Hi mate,

I'm in the UK and your understanding of knife law here is just not true.

We can still own locking knives/ fixed blade etc at any size, the only caveat is that to have these in an outside public space you need good reason, such as bushcraft/fishing/climbing or as a tradesmans tool.

The only knives you can carry "Without" just cause in the UK are non-locking folders with a cutting edge of less than three inches.

Even morern SAK and multi tools which have a locking blade are not allowed in public places without the above mentioned reasons.

Further more, if stopped and searched it is still at the Policemans descretion if a legal EDC knife is considerd a weapon, so for example me as a 49 year old tradesman who is constantly doing outdoor activities will probably be OK, but my 17 year old step son dressed like a rapper on the street would probably not gett away with what is actually legal.

I still carry Locking Blades here, but I think the chances of me being stopped randomly for a knife search is practically zero, and if in the worst case scenario a police officer feels he needs to seach my pockets, then well............a knife would most likely be the least of my worries ;)

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body

Return to “Knife Related Videos”