How much did you pay for your first knife?

A place to watch or share knife related videos.
Bladesman

How much did you pay for your first knife?

Post by Bladesman »

I paid $30 for mine

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How much did you pay for your first knife?

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't know. That was 72 years ago and I was 6 years old so I'm going to say I didn't pay anything.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

My parents purchased me a Cub Scout knife when I was 6 or 7 so I guess I paid nothing :lol: , I still have the knife .

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Samb

Post by Samb »

Been a long time ago but my guess would be under $5. Cub scouts around 55 years ago.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Nothing.
Pop got me a Boker Congress for Christmas 50 years ago.
I carried it every day until I finally retired it last year.
Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Nothing also. I was given a knife from my Latin teacher for being the Latin club president in high school. Teachers wouldn’t dare do that today.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Nothing. Given to me by my Grampy.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

The first knife I bought myself, would have been under a $1.00 They were on the counters in the little neighborhood stores for .79 and .39 cents. Depending on size. Imperials. Used the larger ones to clean my cat fish.

Harold
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I know of two I bought within months of each other-I think the little Coast lockback was ten and the Chinese-made Imperial Barlow was $7.50. This was in 2006. My first SAK, the Fieldmaster, was $28. I wanted the Explorer, but my local knife store didn't have it.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I’m new to the hobby, so I got my first one about 18 months ago. A Case Canoe - somewhere around $80. I’m 70, and there may have been some cheap little keychain pocketknife in my youth given free as advertisement, but I really don’t remember anything specific.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Bought my 1st knife in 1954 for 98 cents. The price is stil written on the back of the sheath.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Picked up one like this in K-mart sometime in the mid 1970s for 9.99. Was a lot of dough for me then and it was a pretty good knife. Gutted my first deer with it, pheasants, doves, geese etc. Whittled a lot with it and lost track of it sometimes in the 1990s and haven't seen it since.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dxIAAOSw ... s-l500.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I paid zip/nada/nothing for my first 8 or 10 as they were all hand-me-down 1 and 2 blade pen knives from my father and grandfather. Ditto with my first fixed blade, a never used, lightly carried (2 or 3 weeks) Western L46-5, a gift from my grandfather.

The first knife I paid for with my own money was a Buck 110, purchased in November 1972 using birthday money. I can't remember how much I paid, but I got change back from the $20 I paid with. Bought at Moss' White's Auto in Taylor Tx.

I still have nearly every one of those early knives.
Samb

Post by Samb »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:27 am Picked up one like this in K-mart sometime in the mid 1970s for 9.99. Was a lot of dough for me then and it was a pretty good knife. Gutted my first deer with it, pheasants, doves, geese etc. Whittled a lot with it and lost track of it sometimes in the 1990s and haven't seen it since.

Had one just like it, don't remember what happened to it but I don't have it anymore. Been over 50 years ago and I bought it at Kmart too.
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

I personally paid nothing. I was 5 and standing in line with my dad a the check out counter there was a tree of knives haning on it marked $.99. Iasked if he would buy me one and I still have it. But it is missing the bail and chain that came on it.
D692DBB7-0155-4202-ADA0-4F3322521017.jpeg
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

ScoutKnives wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:24 pm My parents purchased me a Cub Scout knife when I was 6 or 7 so I guess I paid nothing :lol: , I still have the knife .

Mike
100% Ditto
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Me and a friend saved up our lunch money and went in halves on two of these knives from an ad in the back of a 1971 Boys Life magazine. So I guess I paid $1.24 for my first knife.
Attachments
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That’s pretty impressive Rick that you have the knife and the ad from that time. Nice knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks, Mark.

I do have the knife but I copied the ad from a website called “Back In Time” or something like that. I didn’t expect to find it but the website had PDF files of all the Boys Life issues. Once I found those, it was easy to find a 1971 issue with the ad in the back.
Rick T.

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I had several different types / styles of knives growing up, but don't remember how I came about them. I believe, IIRC correctly, one of my Uncles 'may' have bought me a Buck 110 during my years of working for them during my high school daze.

The first Buck knives I ever bought were the 220 & 221 Silver Creek Fillet knives for $22.00 & $15.00 respectfully.

However, DON'T ask me how much its cost me between those two and all the others I have up until present. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::teary_eyes:: ::woot:: ::uc::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:27 am Picked up one like this in K-mart sometime in the mid 1970s for 9.99. Was a lot of dough for me then and it was a pretty good knife. Gutted my first deer with it, pheasants, doves, geese etc. Whittled a lot with it and lost track of it sometimes in the 1990s and haven't seen it since.

Ivoryman,
Those Japanese Sharp brand knives that K-Mart sold were great knives!
I have two that my Dad gave me when I was a teen. The blade is worn way down and it has dings from being used as a hammer, but it is still a great, tight sheath knife!
I have since bought several. It is not quite a collection. . . . But I have trouble walking past one for sale if it is cheap!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Reverand wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Ivoryman,
Those Japanese Sharp brand knives that K-Mart sold were great knives!
I have two that my Dad gave me when I was a teen. The blade is worn way down and it has dings from being used as a hammer, but it is still a great, tight sheath knife!
I have since bought several. It is not quite a collection. . . . But I have trouble walking past one for sale if it is cheap!
Agreed, like most Japanese products, they were well made, lock up was tight, blade stout and solid. I have thought about replacing it but it wouldn't be the one I had all the experience and history with. Thanks for commenting and keep finding them. Good on you.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:45 pm Me and a friend saved up our lunch money and went in halves on two of these knives from an ad in the back of a 1971 Boys Life magazine. So I guess I paid $1.24 for my first knife.
Rick, I got that same knife from the same ad in Boy's Life. It wasn't actually my 1st knife but somehow I convinced my brother (who was a total penny-pinching miser and not interested in knives at all) to go in on it with me. That was in 1972 or 73 and at that time we each got .25 for mowing the lawn and pulling dandelions. It took nearly all summer (5 weeks) for each of us to save up our half. I ended up trading mine away for a little Gerber with wood inserts. I wouldn't be surprised if my brother still has his (he notoriously saved everything from his youth).

I bought my first knife for $1.98 from a local pharmacy in Laramie, WY, that had a shelf display of Case knives next to the register. I rode my bicycle down there every day for many weeks to study the display and carefully decide which knife I wanted and could afford. As it happened, it was a 6207 brown bone (or possibly Delrin, I wouldn't have known the difference back then) Mini Trapper. Carried that 07 everywhere: school, camping, hunting, hiking, etc. Earned my woodcarving merit badge with that knife. Learned how to sharpen a blade on that knife. Lost it while fishing with my dad in his homemade canoe--dropped it over the side while cutting my line after snagging the hook in the weeds. I was absolutely disconsolate until I managed to save up enough to buy a Buck Esquire that I'd had my eye on at the local outfitters store.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:45 pm Me and a friend saved up our lunch money and went in halves on two of these knives from an ad in the back of a 1971 Boys Life magazine. So I guess I paid $1.24 for my first knife.
Rick, I got that same knife from the same ad in Boy's Life. It wasn't actually my 1st knife but somehow I convinced my brother (who was a total penny-pinching miser and not interested in knives at all) to go in on it with me. That was in 1972 or 73 and at that time we each got .25 for mowing the lawn and pulling dandelions. It took nearly all summer (5 weeks) for each of us to save up our half. I ended up trading mine away for a little Gerber with wood inserts. I wouldn't be surprised if my brother still has his (he notoriously saved everything from his youth).

I bought my first knife for $1.98 from a local pharmacy in Laramie, WY, that had a shelf display of Case knives next to the register. I rode my bicycle down there every day for many weeks to study the display and carefully decide which knife I wanted and could afford. As it happened, it was a 6207 brown bone (or possibly Delrin, I wouldn't have known the difference back then) Mini Trapper. Carried that 07 everywhere: school, camping, hunting, hiking, etc. Earned my woodcarving merit badge with that knife. Learned how to sharpen a blade on that knife. Lost it while fishing with my dad in his homemade canoe--dropped it over the side while cutting my line after snagging the hook in the weeds. I was absolutely disconsolate until I managed to save up enough to buy a Buck Esquire that I'd had my eye on at the local outfitters store.
Great stories from the past!

That knife that I posted (and the one that you also bought) really brings back some great memories. We moved from Missouri to Illinois in 1969 and the guy that went in on that knife with me (Joe) came knocking on my door a couple days later asking if Ricky could come out and play. He didn't even know me yet but he knew my name. We became best friends but I'm sorry to say that he was killed by an oncoming car when crossing the street on foot a few years ago. We were mischievous little brats but man, we sure did have a lot of fun. Even later in life as adults.

By the way, I really like your new avatar. It's really cool.
Rick T.

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 am By the way, I really like your new avatar. It's really cool.
:) Thanks, bro...that is a jerryd SPO (Special Personal Order) that he made for me. I think it's pretty cool, too. Thank you, jerryd! ::nod::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Knife Related Videos”