New project in progress using piano key ivory

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New project in progress using piano key ivory

Post by gsmith7158 »

Randy I love that old Ralph Brown knife! Super job so far, she's looking great! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Greg! That Ralph Brown is labeled San Francisco. Its dates around 1900. Ralph Brown as I understand was the West Coast rep for John Russell. He started his own Sporting goods and hardware co. around the turn of the century. Back to our regularly scheduled program! I am finishing and shaping at the moment and hope to start pinning it together soon. Today's heat is supposed to tie a 56 year record.... or break it! 110 deg+ ::facepalm:: . I have another hour in the shop before the heat takes over. So here is the current state of things:
20170622_104405[1].jpg
I am coating the handles right now. Do a coat and let it dry, sanding between coats. Started with 220 wet and dry and have worked up to 1000 wet and dry. A few more coats and then I'll make the pins and start assembly! ::nod::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good lord where have I been.....first time seeing this thread...

WOWZUH Randy, she's lookin' mighty fine!! ::not_worthy:: ::clapping::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I want to thank everyone for their encouragement. ::tu:: With the heat and humidity its easy to overlook things. ::nod:: JerryD, Stagman and Royal I see that did not respond to your posts.... ::facepalm:: Sorry guys. Thanks for your kind words! ::tu:: Scott thanks buddy! ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Don't worry about it Randy. I'll be glad when the heat abates so you can finish it. Looking forward to the finished product, 'cause that last picture is a stunner.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Looking forward to the finished product, 'cause that last picture is a stunner.
Ditto that. Something tells me this is going to be one of the best dressed Colonial knives ever. 8)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Hey guys, thanks! I am close to the point where I am happy with the looks. I need to buff the handles to know for sure. But for tonight I made this mock up so that I could show both sides at once. She's really starting to pop! ::nod::
20170622_203727[1].jpg
When she is done I'm going to post her in the Colonial collectors forum. I'm going to call it the BFB small lockback. In honor of Bonfire Bob.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sure glad I dropped by this thread. Had not seen it previously. Amazing! Randy it's great to watch step by step work-in-progress. Thanks for showing the process. It's gonna be a stunning end result! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Ken! I am at the point where I can't wait to see it finished. I need to take a deep breath and proceed slowly! I think this is my best work to date. ::nod:: Its cooler here this morning the windows and doors are open for the first time in 7 days. Temps are rising though, got to get to work ::tu:: More news and pics later fellas! :)
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Yes Randy, slow down and take your time. It's too easy to see the end in sight, and rush the last steps. Trust me, I know... ::facepalm::

Enjoy the finish work, it's your last chance to put your personal touches on a knife, and it's what the owner/customer will see all the time.

BTW, looking good! ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Glenn! Just finished doing a little light buffing on the handles and wow! Compare this mornings pics with last nights. I'll try to get some better pics later. I have to run errands this morning before it gets too hot.
20170623_094334[1].jpg
20170623_094349[1].jpg
Check out the pics! ::tu:: Time to start making pins and putting on the final touches!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wow Randy what a shine on that thing ! She's really going to be special! ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

I've been lookin' for something to use the ebony and ivory from a piano I had to burn to get rid of, I kept the ebony keys, Ivory veneer and the brass tuning screws. I've used the ivory for scales.
DSC_8847.JPG
RobCutCoGermanyStamp.jpg
RobCutCoAmericaStamp.jpg
Toggle for a sheath
TheRobCutCoStamp.jpg
...and as an inlay for a missing shield.
PremierStamp.jpg
The ebony will make great carved and turned lanyard beads, just waitin' on a friend to turn some down on his wood lathe.
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Where to start? She looks like what I envisioned. Dang purty little knife!
20170624_075727[1].jpg
20170624_075739[1].jpg
And after all that was posted on keeping focused, what do I do? I got distracted and when I came back to the knife I simply put her together.... I forgot that I needed to to clean up and polish the liners ::facepalm:: Some solder spilled through the factory holes and I did not clean the inside of one liner... The problem? ::shrug:: The solder is pinching both the tang and the spring where the lock sets in the tang.... Looks like I have to cut her apart and fix my oversight. I am making a total of six of these little guys, so I'm going to have make a check list on my white board. If it aint checked off, it aint done ::nod::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Don't despair Randy, hang in there! I've learned far more from my mistakes than anything else - experience is a harsh teacher.

Maybe just make your check list, make the others and then come back to this one and fix her last?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Ken we are having the same thought. Work on the others and fix this one later. The check list is a must. I will get back to them later. I have a busy weekend first!
::nod::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Randy you have transformed that knife into something elegant. I like the look, the clean simple lines, and the contrast between the ivory and the wood. It's a beauty. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Phil, I tried to get lines right and I am very happy with that part. I removed most of the finish. The longer I looked at it the more I wanted a satin finish instead. Most of the finish is gone now. Its all good with except the binding that caused by me not cleaning the solder off of one side. ::dang:: Its really not a big deal to cut it apart and fix it. Just a bit of a let down though... That's why its a prototype ! Yeah that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ::huff:: There will be a total of six of these. That's all of the ivory that have. So I have a question for all of you that have been following along. While I have plenty of walnut burl for all six, I also have some oak burl that I am considering. Three in each wood.
20170624_122735[1].jpg
So I guess what I want is everyone's opinion on the oak burl. Looking for some input guys ::nod:: Do all of them in walnut, it is pretty wood. Lots of grain. Or Make three of each. I'm trying to avoid having one oddball. It has something to do with my Asperger's . At first I was going to do one in black micarta. Maybe later. I can do odd material with others, there are twenty more of these Colonials to be finished. I even have some Ivory Micarta for the strips! But with the real stuff your opinions will decide which way I go ::tu:: So tell me your thoughts on this and thanks in advance ::handshake::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Sorry that happened pal.....she looks beauty though!! Knice job!

I love walnut.......
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Randy that walnut is awfully pretty I think that would be my vote.the oak would probably be a lighter color and might compete with the ivory. I might send you a couple of slabs of ebony to fool with.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Greg, ebony? :mrgreen: I'd love that! ::tu:: I think that ebony would make one these pop! I have always wanted to work with that wood. I even have a couple of large Camillus lockback skeletons that have been waiting for handles that look just awesome. Thanks Greg ::tu::

So far we have one vote for walnut. And Scott you are right about the oak. I may try some later with some faux Ivory, I think if I use some Formby's finish it will darken some. Guess I need to do a little testing. Thanks for pointing that out buddy!

And as a sidebar I plan on doing a trio in antler! One each of Elk, Moose and Whitetail. To be sold as a set at first. Like I said I have about twenty of little guys that are just waiting to be finished. ::nod::
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Every knife is a learning experience and you've done more than that majority of people in the community/hobby do. I loved the way you did it and you've given me some ideas. Keep at it and keep posting pics and mentioning the mistakes helps not oly you but anyone else who might try something similar. ::tu::

BTW, looks way better than the scale job on the Schrade Walden I did.
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks TMH! Your posted projects look pretty good. They give me ideas as well. Just wished I had more piano key ivory. My supply is small. But I am enjoying the project. I think we all learn best from our mistakes. Like some of the other knife mechanics here like to say. ::nod:: To me they are growing experiences and markers of growth. This has helped me tremendously with my Asperger's ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Sad news to report...... the patient has died of unforeseen complications. While driving out the pivot pin the handles broke just below the hole. a whole chunk of walnut... I can't save the handle. I'll try saving the ivory. Learned a hard lesson. A week and half down the tubes. I will save everything else and start over. I can still do six of these. So I will prep for these as a batch. Again I have not done batch work before. Going to use the check list system this time. I feel that if I prepare to do them all in stages then the odds of a mistake will be reduced. Example: do all of the bolster soldering and clean up at one time. Cut and shape handles all at the same time. Same with attaching handles and inlaying ivory and pinning and finishing. Dang this is disappointing. Moving forward as I get things ready I'll start a new thread. Thank you to everyone who has followed along for the kind words and encouragement!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I can't just let this on go without a little checking. So I got out the other unfinished knives and started checking them for fit and function. Boy ::doh:: making assumptions sure can back fire! I found that out of 23 knife skeletons only 8 have zero issues!
20170626_152346.jpg
Here are the 8 good ones on plates with the walnut handle slabs that I cut this morning. The 15 knives in the box all have the same issue that the one had that I built.
20170626_152356.jpg
The blades all close slow and show zero signs of snap. Now I am wondering if the holes in liners are aligned or not. I'll throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner then lube and re-check. Hard to believe that they all have issues, especially the same ones. And those that do have issues can be fixed. But I'll save that chore for another time!

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”