What do you guys use to finish your Ironwood covers

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What do you guys use to finish your Ironwood covers

Post by glennbad »

Just curious. I typically don't do much to them, the wood is pretty dense. Usually just some wax or something after buffing. But I have used Ironwood on a few kitchen knives, and notice that the wood gets darker with use and washing, and doesn't show the grain well.

Does anyone use linseed oil, Tru-Oil, or some other treatment to seal the wood?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What do you guys use to finish your Ironwood covers

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I use Tru Oil Gunstock finish on mine with good results. Typically 2 or 3 thin coats and steel wool in between coats.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

glennbad wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:14 pm Just curious. I typically don't do much to them, the wood is pretty dense. Usually just some wax or something after buffing. But I have used Ironwood on a few kitchen knives, and notice that the wood gets darker with use and washing, and doesn't show the grain well.

Does anyone use linseed oil, Tru-Oil, or some other treatment to seal the wood?
Happens with all of them, they seem to love absorbing any oil or moisture from your hand. I have some limited success with bringing back the grain, but they are never the same. I give them a good scrub with a PH neutral leather cleaner or saddle soap, must be PH neutral, firstly with a rag, then with 0000 steel wool. Let dry properly between each washing. I then apply 1 coat of renwax applied with just my finger, leave it for about 15-30 minutes, then buff. Leave overnight then repeat. This will give some of it's character back.
From new, i would use Tru-oil to properly seal it, 2 coats should be enough, or just renwax, it dries hard so it will give it some protection. Hope this helps and good luck. ::tu::
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buck16 »

Tongue oil. Several coats.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Pure Tung oil won't seal it, it has to Tung oil with a polymarizer in it.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I like Tung oil for most wood projects, but if I have forever for it to dry, BLO works too. I have tried tongue oil, but it makes me dribble on my shirt.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:04 pm I like Tung oil for most wood projects, but if I have forever for it to dry, BLO works too. I have tried tongue oil, but it makes me dribble on my shirt.
::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”