The SK Project

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
agteacher2

The SK Project

Post by agteacher2 »

I started the Case Stockman Custom project for SK today here are the pictures so far:

Well I guess I'll break the new this way SK and I decided to go with the Cocobola wood scales. Here is the original knife and the piece of cocobola that the scales will be cut out of.

Next picture shows the handle after the pins are cut and ready to remove

And then after the knife has been cut apart and ready for the fun to begin.

Next the springs are marked for filework
And the file work completed.

Then the scales are cut and fit.

The scales have been epoxied in place and will set at least over night. I will post more pictures as I get a chance to do more work.
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
SEVENTY

Post by SEVENTY »

:mrgreen: VERY IMPRESSIVE! ::nod::
Without faith, it is imposible to please Him: for
he who comes to God, must believe that He is and a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. Heb.11:6 NASV
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Can't wait till you finish. Are you going to put the shield on the new handles?
agteacher2

Post by agteacher2 »

Actually I really think not, this is a pretty small knife. I'm planning to use quite large mosaic pins in the handles. It will depend on the amount or room left.

Thanks for the comments, ::tu::

Jeff
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Yes... sorry all I should have told you :oops: .We decided the maple burl was too large for the little knife. Now that I see the cocobolo in place I'm sure we made the right decision. It looks great so far Jeff ::tu:: . Very interesting to see it apart like that. Can hardly wait to see the finished product. :) s-k
Hukk

Looking Great

Post by Hukk »

I think those scales are going to look great with the mosaic pins. That wood will take a very nice polish. Seeing how that is coming together, I'm sure s-k will be happy to have it as a part of his collection. I think it will look great with just the pins, adding the shield may make it look to cluttered and hide some of the overall beauty.
Thanks Jeff for the step by step photos, it makes the project very interesting and fun to follow. ::tu:: ::tu::
agteacher2

Post by agteacher2 »

Here are the handles with the pins installed

Here is the knife with the pins back in place. I was going to show the knife strung up on the pins but when I finally got those tiny little springs in place I went ahead and bradded them home. Sorry
:shock:

Here is the knife with the rough shape ground out.

And this is it with a little finish sanding, waiting for the bolster treatment ::tu::

I'm finished for this evening. Time to play with my boys!!

:mrgreen: (How did that get in there) ::tu::

Jeff
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

I have to say that like everyone else who has commented on this picture by picture project how incredible it is to watch you do this. It not only gives us insight into how a person would approach this type of work but it's very entertaining. Post like this make this the best informative and tasteful fun one can have on the internet these days...At least for a knife lover like me... :D

Enjoy your boys and thanks again,

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Jeff
You're right the shield would cover too much of those handles. It's looking great. ::tu::
Like sunburst I really like seeing the process of the project as it's being completed.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Excellent work Jeff. The the wood and the pins look great. Glad we chose the cocobolo. ::tu:: ::tu:: s-k
agteacher2

Post by agteacher2 »

Finally Finished!!!

Here is a picture showing the filework.

Here are both sides after final sanding.

This shows the process of the bolster work

Here is the knife with the first coat of sealer on.

And the finished product!! Soon to be on it's way to S-K in Jolly old England.

Hope you enjoyed this. Any comments are welcome.

Jeff
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Nice work, Jeff...and quite unique as well. ::tu::

Bill
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Once again another excellent job well done! ::tu::
Can't wait to see what the next one will be like.
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Good morning Jeff :D ,

I showed the Boss your work this morning and needless to say she was impressed. She asked when I was sending you one and I just laughed. Just let me know when you got the time and I will have it in the mail.

Nice work, I am sure Smiling-Knife :) will be well pleased. ::tu::

Later, 9ball
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Good morning 8) 9ball and everyone else on board today. I am very happy with the way the knife has turned out ::nod:: . Many thanks to Jeff for his excellent work and for sharing it with all of us on the site ::tu:: . It was very interesting to see process step by step. :) s-k
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Looks really nice. Just wait til you get it SK. I bought a customized trapper from Jeff on the auction site and he also customized a Buck 110 for me that is just plain splendid. ::tu::

Pictures do no justice.

This has been fun to watch. Thanks for sharing the process with us! ::tu::

Bryan
Hukk

WOW

Post by Hukk »

When I first saw you display the cocobolo, I thought it would be a good match. Little did I realize that this customized Case would be so very impressive. Once again I, like so many others really enjoyed the step by step photos and descriptions. Not only was it very interesting to follow, but I found it to be very educational. I think you did a fantastic job and created a 1 of a kind work of art that would be a pleasure to own. I know I would enjoy following another, but that consumes extra time, something none of us have. Congratulations on your finished product, it is stunning.
Great work Jeff! ::tu:: ::tu::

Hukk
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Good morning 8) to everyone on board today. I received the knife today. Wow... is it ever great. I am very happy with the way it turned-out. :D :D . I want to thank Jeff very much for his excellent work ::tu:: . This is a great keepsake. Also, thanks for sharing the process with us here on the site. :) s-k

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”