"Dickson" fixed blade customized

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
RWB

"Dickson" fixed blade customized

Post by RWB »

Don't know who "Dickson" was but they were probably an American outfit that had they're knives made in Solingen Germany (that's how the blade is marked) like so many other US sellers. I got this off ebay needing new leather washers and a new pommel. I did some decorative file work (my first attempt) on the blade and polished it. Of course I cleaned and buffed up the stag grip to re-use and then made up a new steel guard and pommel. It needed a sheath and I decided on a plain rough out look.

Of the German fixed blade hunting knives, this blade pattern is a favorite of mine. Another fun project that I really enjoyed doing.
Attachments
20190304_192542.jpg
20190301_171841.jpg
20190304_192149.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Dickson" fixed blade customized

Post by doglegg »

If you had not told us we would not have known that was your first attempt at decorative filing. It looks good. Great save on a really good looking old knife. ::tu::
RWB

Post by RWB »

Thanks doglegg. I really get a kick out of improving the looks and usefulness of an old knife that I think deserves it.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice! I Like it!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, it did turn out real nice! That stag looks great.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice work! ::tu:: ::tu::

I have never owned a a Dickson fixed blade, but the style of blade, the type of stag and the way the knife is constructed reminds me very much of a lot of the knives that were exported from Germany after World War II, once Germany begin to get a little bit of the industry running.

I read something about a fellow named Fred Overland who served in the Army in World War II and was in Germany. After the war he came home and used some of the contacts he had made during the war to establish a knife importing business, with the knives being made in Germany. I have owned two or three Overland knives, they look a great deal like yours, and they have been good quality knives. I suspect your knife is very good quality also.
I don't know if the story I heard about Mr. Overland is true or made up from whole cloth, but it does seem to have a certain amount of probability to it.

I don't know if Dickson was someone who had important knives like Overland or or not, but the knives I have seen that came out of Germany just after WWII Great deal like your knife, and they have been good knives. Hopefully this gives you a hint as to the origin of your knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
RWB

Post by RWB »

orvet wrote:Nice work! ::tu:: ::tu::

I have never owned a a Dickson fixed blade, but the style of blade, the type of stag and the way the knife is constructed reminds me very much of a lot of the knives that were exported from Germany after World War II, once Germany begin to get a little bit of the industry running.

I read something about a fellow named Fred Overland who served in the Army in World War II and was in Germany. After the war he came home and used some of the contacts he had made during the war to establish a knife importing business, with the knives being made in Germany. I have owned two or three Overland knives, they look a great deal like yours, and they have been good quality knives. I suspect your knife is very good quality also.
I don't know if the story I heard about Mr. Overland is true or made up from whole cloth, but it does seem to have a certain amount of probability to it.

I don't know if Dickson was someone who had important knives like Overland or or not, but the knives I have seen that came out of Germany just after WWII Great deal like your knife, and they have been good knives. Hopefully this gives you a hint as to the origin of your knife.
Thanks Dale. Yea, I see alot of German hunting knives with blade stamps of American companies who imported these knives. "Olsen" is one among several others whose German knives I keep an eye out for. The ones I've picked up sharpen really well and hold an edge. The Solingen makers must have made Indian exporters of Sambar rich, I'll bet. Stag on a German knife is iconic. Maybe it's the German in me that has a preference for accumulating these rather common factory knives. But I like them and they will cut. Besides they are a bargain and I like to dress them up. I'll have to see if I can dig up more info on "Dickson".
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, love it!

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”