Western #47 Build with Stag

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western #47 Build with Stag

Post by orvet »

Byrd wrote:That is just flat out amazing! It's the best looking Western bowie I've ever seen! Great work Dale.
Thanks Byrd and everyone else. I certainly appreciate the affirmation.
I would agree, it is the best-looking Western Bowie I've seen, but of course it's the only customized Western Bowie I've ever seen either. :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Excellent... excellent job Dale!

Great job on the sheath. Your work looks like a pro leather worker!

One question I am sure you have considered. It looks like the leather is still untreated. In a case like this is it wise to treat the leather with Mink Oil or something like that?
I am wondering if a leather treatment will effect the knife.

Once again.... the whole project is a work of art!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

First off, Dale, you did and amazing job on this knife. It looks fabulous. Excellent treatment and all around package.
Meridian_Mike wrote:Excellent... excellent job Dale!

One question I am sure you have considered. It looks like the leather is still untreated. In a case like this is it wise to treat the leather with Mink Oil or something like that?

Mike, I will not presume to speak for Dale, but in my limited experience, leather treatment such as Mink Oil softens the leather. A sheath such as this one could stand to be softer as it has a mechanical fastener. Sheaths that are wet formed, as hold a knife as such, without mechanical fasteners, need to be more stiff and rigid. Feibings sells a product that hardens leathers, while sealing it as well.
https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/top-f ... roduct=204

Pardon my highjack.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm glad you posted this Tony. I needed to know that. I have had pistols and knives rust in an area where they contacted a leather holster or sheath.
I could see where the leather ALONE might be prone to HOLD MOISTURE.
MAYBE even treated leather might be prone to hold moisture. ::shrug::

I assume the leather treatment is only to prolong the life and appearance of leather.....right?

SO, I guess NOW is the time I need to learn (better late than never)

if a knife should only be kept in a sheath while carrying (?)

Maybe a knife should not be stored in a sheath (?)

ANYWAY... I guess if there is a protocol, AND a leather treatment procedure, I would like to learn it.

Mike
::shrug::
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Meridian_Mike wrote:I'm glad you posted this Tony. I needed to know that. I have had pistols and knives rust in an area where they contacted a leather holster or sheath.
I could see where the leather ALONE might be prone to HOLD MOISTURE.
MAYBE even treated leather might be prone to hold moisture. ::shrug::

I assume the leather treatment is only to prolong the life and appearance of leather.....right?

SO, I guess NOW is the time I need to learn (better late than never)

if a knife should only be kept in a sheath while carrying (?)

Maybe a knife should not be stored in a sheath (?)

ANYWAY... I guess if there is a protocol, AND a leather treatment procedure, I would like to learn it.

Mike
::shrug::
I ran a test on 1095 steel stored in leather: treated on inside with mink oil vs untreated. Both tests rusted the steel.
I do not store knives in leather. It will rust the steel and tarnish the fittings.
The treatment is, indeed, an exterior treatment for water resistance and finish treatment.
I have some leather holster for pistols that have finish inside and out, I do not store firearms in leather either.

None of these tests make me an expert. I was simply testing for my own personal knowledge.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Tony_Wood wrote: I ran a test on 1095 steel stored in leather: treated on inside with mink oil vs untreated. Both tests rusted the steel.
I do not store knives in leather. It will rust the steel and tarnish the fittings.
The treatment is, indeed, an exterior treatment for water resistance and finish treatment.
I have some leather holster for pistols that have finish inside and out, I do not store firearms in leather either.

None of these tests make me an expert. I was simply testing for my own personal knowledge.
Well Tony....
I am definitely not an expert... so, these are some words of wisdom and I appreciate them.
Thanks for your input.

I hope someone else might see this and avoid ruining a beautiful knife by storing it in a sheath.

::handshake::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good night Mildred.... :shock: :shock: that is beautiful!! What craftsmanship!! I applaud you ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Excellent... excellent job Dale!

Thank you Mike and Tony, I appreciate your input! ::tu:: ::handshake::

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday Mike, I have to go to the doctor on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for the next month or so to have the surgical site monitored and the packing in it changed. Sometimes I'm pretty well done for the rest of the day, it can be pretty painful.

As a matter of fact, I did treat the leather. My customer wanted the natural look of the leather and wanted me to leave it untreated. I advised against that and said I would look for something that would keep it as close to its natural colors possible. He thought that was a good idea so I went to my local Tandy Leather affiliate, basically a shoe and the leather repair shop with a fairly decent inventory of leatherworking products.
I explained that I wanted something that would change the color of the leather much but would help to seal it and protect it. One of the owners of the shop recommended Fiebing's Leather Balm, which is what I used on it.

Thanks to Tony for the link to Fiebing's, here is the product they used: https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/top-f ... roduct=196

On the subject of storing knives in leather –
I am reluctant to separate the knife from the correct sheath (for fear of not getting the right sheath with the knife) but I don't want them to become corroded either. I haven't found a completely satisfactory solution for fixed blades but for the folders I use a small Ziploc bag, 3 x 6" is plenty large enough for a Schrade LB7. I put the knife in the Ziploc and squeeze out as much air as possible then seal the bag and put the knife back in the sheath. That way I don't have the sheath separated from the knife to which it belongs.
If you have purchased any of the late issue Camillus knives they did something similar except they did not use Ziploc bags. They used a heavier, probably 4 mil plastic pouch with a fold-over top. The folders with sheaths that I purchased in the Gran'pa series had the knives wrapped in blue plastic and put inside the sheaths.

Thanks Scott, and please give my best Mildred! :lol: ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I mentioned in an earlier post that my wife was going to try and get some better pictures of the knife then I could get in my shop.
Here's a couple she took and I think she may have of real future photographing my knives! :mrgreen:
Western #47 stag custom 8-19 a.jpg
Western #47 stag custom 8-19 b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Your wife did good. VERY nice pics of a VERY nice knife!
It's a beauty Dale.

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”