Knife scrimshaw kit from SMKW?

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
desmobob

Knife scrimshaw kit from SMKW?

Post by desmobob »

I ordered a few of these for Christmas gifts. I should have asked about them first, but it was an impulse purchase. :?

Has anyone experimented with scrimshaw on bovine shin bone vs. ivory? The kits come with a knife with smooth white bone scales, a scratching tool, India ink, and some sample patterns and transfer paper for those not that artistically inclined.

I also ordered one of the inexpensive Marbles elephant's toe knives with smooth white bone scales so I can give it a try myself...
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
Ivoryman

Re: Knife scrimshaw kit from SMKW?

Post by Ivoryman »

desmobob wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:35 pm I ordered a few of these for Christmas gifts. I should have asked about them first, but it was an impulse purchase. :?

Has anyone experimented with scrimshaw on bovine shin bone vs. ivory? The kits come with a knife with smooth white bone scales, a scratching tool, India ink, and some sample patterns and transfer paper for those not that artistically inclined.

I also ordered one of the inexpensive Marbles elephant's toe knives with smooth white bone scales so I can give it a try myself...
Nope, but been carving, cutting, finishing bone and ivory for decades. About the same kind of tools and techniques required to work them. Definitely will work for scrimshaw since I've seen many ivory and bone pieces with scrimshaw on them. Somebody is doing it. Good luck and don't worry, you'll pick it up and learn quick and it's not rocket science.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”