SCHRADE SP4 Trapper-Wharncliffe Mod

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

SCHRADE SP4 Trapper-Wharncliffe Mod

Post by QTCut5 »

I wanted to show this mod here to point out the apparent difficulty of putting a new nail nick in hardened steel. Clearly, whoever did this mod discovered just how hard it is. Eventually a new nail nick was achieved, more or less, but it's not very professional looking, IMHO. (I do like how the spay blade was modified into a Wharncliffe, though...and the Elk covers aren't too bad either.)

What advice would you experienced knife mechanics give to the person who modified this knife RE cutting a nail pull in hardened steel?

P9070006.JPG
P9070003.JPG
P9070005.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Meridian_Mike

Re: SCHRADE SP4 Trapper-Wharncliffe Mod

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, I agree....

That is an interesting attempt at adding a nail nick.

::hmm::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
ea42

Post by ea42 »

The only thing I know of that'll cut a nick in hardened steel is a 60 degree (or thereabouts) stone. To do it right you'd want to chuck it in a drill press and mount the blade vertically on a piece of steel in a vise. You'd need some kind of backing on the blade too since it's already ground both at an angle to the edge and toward the tip. You want to avoid chatter.

Eric
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

The nail nick looks upside down to me.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Looks like a kid did it freehand in woodshop with a Dremel. Amateurs' hour. Weak attempt. HAVE to put it in a vice or lock it in and machine it. Have to control your tool. Set up a jig or something. This was all over the place. I admire the attempt and love the mod, but with a little more control of things it would have looked great instead of what we are here discussing.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love the mod and handles Q ::nod::
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

It is indeed very difficult to carve a "nail nick" or "pull" into a blade freehand. I have done quite a few and never got it perfect. But, here is an interesting approach. (I haven't tried it yet.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORZkd-3Na5c
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I agree with previous posts. Making the nail nick is always difficult. I tried about 2 years
ago to deepen a nail nick on a Case knife. I did not ruin it because I tried on a piece of
scrap metal before taking the tools to my blade. I asked Case to deepen it ( in my
opinion it was a manufacturer error) but they said no. I did get one of the knife mechanics
here to do it for me with good results.

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have successfully deepened one nail nick, and cut one or two with a Dremel.
I have mostly been unsuccessful with it, though. I suppose I had beginner's luck at first, but can't duplicate the feat now.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”