From My Shop This Year

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

From My Shop This Year

Post by orvet »

I have had several people asked me if I was doing any knife work. I'm not taking in any new work now due to my wife's health, though she is getting much better. We expect after radiation she will be completely cured of the cancer. There will be some reconstructive surgery later, probably after the first part of the year.

As those of you who work on knives know, just piddling around in your shop can be very therapeutic and actually accomplishing something can be even more so! It's been a little difficult to concentrate on projects because of interruptions. She is gotten much stronger now and doesn't require as much assistance. I'm trying to make up for lost time now because I have really missed being able to get into a project and not have to worry.
I have done a few knives this year, a couple of them sold recently in my store. I also made the sheath for this one

This first one was a Western 777 that I purchased as a blank that was floating in the bay. I put some moose antler paddle on it that I got from my trip to Alaska a couple years ago. I found moose antler little difficult to work with because it is thin and has radical changes in its topography. Nonetheless, someone else must have liked it as well because it was in my store less than 48 hours.
Western 777 & moose paddle a.jpg
Western 777 & moose paddle b.jpg
Western 777 g.jpg
Another pattern that I hadn't seen often is a Western L48, it reminds me a lot of a Marbles Woodcraft.
Replacing all of the fiber washers, adding some Sambar stag and cleaning up its old sheath made the old fellow looked pretty handsome I think he lasted less than 12 hours in my store.
Western Custom Stag a.jpg
Western Custom Stag b.jpg
Western Custom Stag h.jpg

That's all I have time to list right now, I will add to this post about three more knives that I have completed when I get the time, hopefully this afternoon.
I hope you enjoy the pictures!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Re: From My Shop This Year

Post by lt632ret »

Nice stuff as usual . well done. Glad things are working out healthwise. Stay Well my friend. (Rich) ie LT
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Good to see you back in action Dale and glad to hear that your wife is doing better. Nice work on both knives! I really like that sambar stag on the western! ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Two beauties, Dale. ::tu:: ::tu::

Glad to read your wife is doing better too! ::pray::

I have a couple of those Orvet stamps kicking around in my collection, excellent work. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful work Dale! ::tu:: Not hard to see why they weren't in your store for long. Glad to hear your better half is feeling better, that radiation is a tough grind, but definitely worth the results. Prayers sent! ::pray:: 8)
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Glad to know that Alyson is still improving! We love seeing your work, but you have the right priorities for now.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That was a couple of sweet ones Dale!

LOL.... I've noticed knives don't stay in your store long.
(I guess a guy needs to camp out in front of your store so when the doors open, he can run in and grab a knife!....LOL)

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

I wanted that 777 when I saw it but hesitated . When I went back it was gone . Ya snooze Ya lose !
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Rdubya21 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:38 pm I wanted that 777 when I saw it but hesitated . When I went back it was gone . Ya snooze Ya lose !
Ironically, the 777 was in there longer than the others I put in there recently. I just wish I could turn out more, Though I'm trying to crank up my production a little bit now.

I think I have another 777 blank if you're interested. I'm not sure how soon I could have it finished.

I do have a couple of Westerns nearing completion now...

The first is an Outers pattern that had celluloid on it. I replaced the celluloid with stag because the celluloid was In the beginning stages of breaking down. I caught it before it damage the knife. All I need to do is etch my logo on it and finish polishing it.
Someone had made a nice custom sheath for it which fits nicely on it now that I have a new stag handles on it.
This was a quick picture I took shortly after I bought it. Poor lighting and cell phones don't go well together when it comes to taking knife pictures.
Western Outers before.jpg
The other was a say Western Pat'd, which didn't have a model number on it and I haven't had chance to research it yet. I have removed the celluloid and am replacing it with fossil ivory. It's almost ready also the what will probably be two or three days yet before I'm satisfied with it. It came with the factory hand laced sheath. Another really bad cell phone picture I took just to document the knife after I bought.
Western bad celluloid.jpg
I hope to have the Outers finished and have some pictures taken and posted in the Knife Repair & Restoration forum today some time.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.
I'm going to post another knife I did a couple months ago.
I will do that In another post following this one.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This is knife I completed recently a couple months ago. It was made for a young lady up near Pendleton Oregon. She was dating one of my grandsons at the time. She's also into horses, kind of a cowgirl. She was admiring a couple of nights I picked up on the trip. I asked her if she liked knives and she said that she did. I said I often used antler to make knife handles. She said they had a lot of deer horn at their house. I told her if she would bring me some antler, I would make her a knife. She brought me two pieces of antler and so I use the best one for her knife. It appears to me this antler was probably from a mule deer.

The blank I used what rate of 1066 carbon steel, Rockwell 58-59 C. I had not ordered from this supplier before nor used this steel however, I was quite positively impressed with the finish work on the blade. I didn't have to do a lot of work on it to get it to look good.

I made the handsewn sheath as well.

I guess this young lady my grandson are now history so I'm going to have to get her address to send her the knife. I think she will like it.

Hope y'all enjoy the pictures.
Attachments
Scandi & Stag a.jpg
Scandi & Stag c.jpg
Scandi & Stag m.jpg
Scandi & Stag n.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is a nice knife Dale!
I love that antler.... The color and texture are great!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Top notch!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

I am still looking for a 777 , so I am interested when you get to that blank . I do also like the second western your showing with the pearl handles . I like that sheath also . Don’t recall seeing factory like that . I understand the time constraints with family , so don’t rush anything on my account . I’m not going anywhere.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

All very nice Dale!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Hey Dale, great seeing your work again, loved the stories and the work. Especially that Mule Deer crown. Beautiful. One of a kinds. Keep up the great work and all the best to your other half and wish her well in recuperation and beating it. Great to hear. Hats off to the both of you. Thanks for the show. ::tu:: :mrgreen:
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys for all the kind words. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Another awesome knife, Dale. If the grandson's ex-girfriend doesn't want it I bet some AAPK guys would.
::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::

That's some sweet Crown Stag.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dale you have some good looking knives that showcase your talents and abilities. I have enjoyed the ones that I've purchased from you. Also I can't believe that you and some others here have the talent to work with leather and create some beautiful sheaths and other leather items. . ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you David.
I'm just following some very good advice -
"...Aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you..."
I Thessalonians 4:11

Sometimes it's a struggle to follow such good advice but well worth the effort I believe.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Sooooo, soooo happy to thear the good news about your wife!!

Amazing work as usual!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Sad to read you are not getting much/any time in the shop, but as we all know, family comes first! I have been in a terrible funk myself for the last 2-3 months, and haven't done anything appreciable in the shop due to projects around the house and what-not.

Now back to your knives. They are all amazing, but that Western really jumps out at me. Beautiful work, my friend!

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”