Counterfeit Benchmade

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Counterfeit Benchmade

Post by ken98k »

I bought this knife several months ago knowing it was a copy of a Benchmade Bugout. It wasn't until I received it that I realized instead of your industry standard knock off, (which all knife companies do to lesser or greater degree) this was a overt effort to fool the consumer.

The blue Bugout is the real thing. (I hope!)
Attachments
20221113_123008.jpg
20221113_123017.jpg
20221113_123104.jpg
20221113_123148.jpg
20221113_123209.jpg
20221113_123444.jpg
20221113_123543.jpg
20221113_123547.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Counterfeit Benchmade

Post by Madmarco »

Wow, those look identical to me Ken, right down to the clips and color coordinated studs. How can you tell one is a fake? ::shrug:: Thx! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Probably where he bought it. If it came from China it's fake unless you buy a Ganzo.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Inside of the box and the barcode seem to be the only telling signs, two pictures of mine for comparison.

I think it's *edit HDGate and some guy from Shanghai on eBay that's peddling the fakes, mainly.
Attachments
IMG_20221113_184036739.jpg
IMG_20221113_184231629.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

I'd like to here more about these
Samb

Post by Samb »

tnorton wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 pm I'd like to here more about these
Check out DHGate and you'll see a lot of it.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

It's a shame people buy these knowing they are counterfeits.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Samb wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:47 pm
samb I went to that website DHGate it sorta gave me an uneasy feeling - I am not planning on buying anything from that site - ::paranoid::
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

tnorton wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:50 am
samb I went to that website DHGate it sorta gave me an uneasy feeling - I am not planning on buying anything from that site - ::paranoid::
I bought this one from a Facebook advertisement.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

edge213 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:52 pm It's a shame people buy these knowing they are counterfeits.
It's the American way!
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

ken98k wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:04 am
edge213 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:52 pm It's a shame people buy these knowing they are counterfeits.
It's the American way!
Not really
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Corrected my above post. ⬆️ Thanks for jogging my memory. 😉

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s for sure the Chicom way. ::facepalm:: They are masters at copying. No investment in R&D, engineering or design, testing, etc. Just copy and steal someone else’s design, take it to market and undercut the price. Cosmetically appears identical to the original, down to and including the paperwork, packaging, everything. Most probably made from inferior (cheap) materials.

Been there, been a victim. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Samb

Post by Samb »

The Chinese are making some nice expensive knives anymore but they are definitely trying to dupe us. The price is a dead givaway, they are selling them way cheaper than dealers here can buy them wholesale. They can still be a descent user but it ain't the real deal and the materials they are made with aren't as good. Just my opinion.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

More than your opinion Sam, it's the way it is! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I was close to buying a Chris Reeve knockoff a few years ago when I first saw them, but now I'm thankful I didn't open that door. ::nod::

Samb

Post by Samb »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:12 pm I was close to buying a Chris Reeve knockoff a few years ago when I first saw them, but now I'm thankful I didn't open that door. ::nod::
If you get it on the cheap it may be worth checking out!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:47 pm It’s for sure the Chicom way. ::facepalm:: They are masters at copying. No investment in R&D, engineering or design, testing, etc. Just copy and steal someone else’s design, take it to market and undercut the price. Cosmetically appears identical to the original, down to and including the paperwork, packaging, everything. Most probably made from inferior (cheap) materials.
Ken
I wonder who first stole the "trapper" design? Or who was the first company to make counterfeit "stockman" knives? Now we have stolen "bugouts".
The knife industry is full of stolen designs.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ken98k wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:41 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:47 pm It’s for sure the Chicom way. ::facepalm:: They are masters at copying. No investment in R&D, engineering or design, testing, etc. Just copy and steal someone else’s design, take it to market and undercut the price. Cosmetically appears identical to the original, down to and including the paperwork, packaging, everything. Most probably made from inferior (cheap) materials.
Ken
I wonder who first stole the "trapper" design? Or who was the first company to make counterfeit "stockman" knives? Now we have stolen "bugouts".
The difference is, when they copied the design they did not put the name of the originating company on it and represent it as being made by that company. They did not use the originating company’s name, advertising, merchandising, and reputation to sell the copy.

Instead when they copied the Trapper, to use your example, they put their own name on it, marketed and distributed it using their resources, and sold it on their own reputation. All of which the Chicoms are not doing in the OP example. They are counterfeiting, pure and simple - like you said, an “overt effort to fool the customer.”

The knife industry is just one of hundreds, probably thousands, of industries ripped off by the Chicom copying racket.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:33 am
ken98k wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:41 am
Ken
The difference is, when they copied the design they did not put the name of the originating company on it and represent it as being made by that company. They did not use the originating company’s name, advertising, merchandising, and reputation to sell the copy.

Instead when they copied the Trapper, to use your example, they put their own name on it, marketed and distributed it using their resources, and sold it on their own reputation. All of which the Chicoms are not doing in the OP example. They are counterfeiting, pure and simple,

The knife industry is just one of hundreds, probably thousands, of industries ripped off by the Chicom copying racket.

Ken

I recently watched a series of YouTube videos on counterfeit post-war Lionel trains. I guess deception is prevalent in any hobby, unfortunately. But like you mentioned, Ken, using a similar pattern with your company's labeling isn't deception. ::nod:: If they want to sell a cheap version of a Bugout and maybe label it "Shanghai Surprise" with their own unique labeling, go for it.

pmedic

Post by pmedic »

I bought 2 spyderco knives from DHgate a couple of years ago. They were $18.00 each with free shipping came from China in about 3 weeks.. I was curious to see how good these fakes were.. the knives came in the exact box spyderco uses the knives were stamped made in golden Colorado USA, even came with a spyderco warranty card.. talk about copyright infringement. The only way to tell the difference between my fake and a real one was putting them side by side. The metal just looked different the handle screws were a different size. What a shame the USA puts up with this
Samb

Post by Samb »

Not much can be done about it but not buying them, ask Bill if you don't believe me.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”