Questions On Early Case Bros Little Valley NY

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Questions On Early Case Bros Little Valley NY

Post by JohnR »

This one has me a little puzzled. A very early Case Bros Little Valley NY 3 3/8" jack knife. Bone is close to the winterbottom bone that was used at the time but with finer jigging, the shield was used by Case Bros at the time. Blades are close to full with great snap and no play,
The tang stamps are what has me wondering, Case Bros used a lot of different tang stamps in the short time they were in business but I can find no examples of a straight Case Bros with a curved Little Valley, most were curved Case Bros with straight Little Valley. Their knives were mainly contract knives when they were first starting up, I wonder if this might be one of those knives.
I don't think it's a fake, it had the appropriate amount of rust, corrosion and dirt in the blade wells. Hard to find any detailed information on early Case knives, any help is appreciated good or bad.
Attachments
IMG_0184.jpeg
IMG_0186.jpeg
IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg
IMG_0192.jpeg
IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0202.jpeg
IMG_0204.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Questions On Early Case Bros Little Valley NY

Post by btrwtr »

Witcher's book shows this stamp. He speculates used a few years after 1900. Looks like an incredible knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

btrwtr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 pm Witcher's book shows this stamp. He speculates used a few years after 1900. Looks like an incredible knife.
Thank you Wayne, that is one of the books I don't have, looks like I need to try to find that one.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JohnR that's an exceptionally beautiful old knife.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

doglegg wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 am JohnR that's an exceptionally beautiful old knife.
Thank you, it is now the earliest Case family knife I have in the collection, looks like right around 1900. Here is the page from Witcher's book that Wayne referred to, a couple other collectors were kind enough to send it to me. Also thanks to Ken for making me aware of an available copy of the book at a great price.
Attachments
319158628_9420100501340711_7695208351075143201_n.jpeg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

JohnR, that is a great knife on its own, but with the history, it’s even better.

I absolutely love those handles. Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JohnR wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:42 pm
doglegg wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 am JohnR that's an exceptionally beautiful old knife.
Thank you, it is now the earliest Case family knife I have in the collection, looks like right around 1900. Here is the page from Witcher's book that Wayne referred to, a couple other collectors were kind enough to send it to me. Also thanks to Ken for making me aware of an available copy of the book at a great price.
Great knife and book.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”