Three Fakes - NYK, Platts, Wilbert

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Three Fakes - NYK, Platts, Wilbert

Post by knifeaholic »

Attachments
NYK.jpg
Platts.jpg
Wilbert.png
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Three Fakes - NYK, Platts, Wilbert

Post by peanut740 »

Swan's had several turds as of late. ::td::
Roger
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

665.65. Nice pay day. Hope he shows up at knife show sometime. I’m attending . If his photo on eBay isn’t photo shopped I got a couple knifes from him I would like to have a refund on .Nothing I hate worse than a thief and con man .
Sporty laughing all the way to the bank
Sporty laughing all the way to the bank
398FAA25-312E-4674-BF41-61689AF2C2C8.jpeg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ol' Sporty laughing all the way to the bank. ::disgust:: No integrity, he should run for office.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The dirty duck from Tennessee strikes again!!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

He does show up at some shows to buy knives.He also offers no question asked refunds.
Roger
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

peanut740 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:29 am He does show up at some shows to buy knives.He also offers no question asked refunds.
He should be put in jail for theft by description and mail fraud .or better yet took behind the woods shed for a good switching .I bought 2 knifes from him about a week apart .sure I could have sent them back for a refund and been out 20$ for return shipping plus tax .I decided to just keep them so they would not be back on the bay the same day he got them out of the mail book sold to the next victims of his wicked ways .
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thomasg wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:15 am
peanut740 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:29 am He does show up at some shows to buy knives.He also offers no question asked refunds.
He should be put in jail for theft by description and mail fraud .or better yet took behind the woods shed for a good switching .I bought 2 knifes from him about a week apart .sure I could have sent them back for a refund and been out 20$ for return shipping plus tax .I decided to just keep them so they would not be back on the bay the same day he got them out of the mail book sold to the next victims of his wicked ways .
I'm not defending him in any way. He get stuff and sell it regardless of whether it's authentic or not.
He usually shows up and walks around at the Pigeon Forge shows.I've never known of him setting up.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That business of offering a “no questions asked” refund is another sort of scam. If you knew it was a fake you wouldn’t have bought it. If you don’t know, you’re not going to return it. At least not for that reason. ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Actually Bill pays for the return shipping on items. It’s says so right there on his listings “seller pays for return shipping”. Plus you get the tax back on a refund whether you return through the seller or through eBay’s guarantee.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Wow Thomas, tell us how you REALLY feel! I'm just teasing you bud, I'm not much for frauds and con men either, although I have been spared any problems from this particular seller cuz he won't ship most of his knives to me in Canada! Lucky me, huh! 8)
8)
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 pm
Wow Thomas, tell us how you REALLY feel! I'm just teasing you bud, I'm not much for frauds and con men either, although I have been spared any problems from this particular seller cuz he won't ship most of his knives to me in Canada! Lucky me, huh! 8)
You have a great sense of humor . Sporty did teach me a valuable lesson on buying knifes . Research every purchase before buying extensively. It’s not just the case knifes being forged these days . 87.66 is all he got me for about half of what he got the buyers of the 3 knifes mike posted .I will continue to police his eBay sells and use his fakes as learning tools by posting them on AAPK.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

SPORTY IS A DISGRACE TO THE KNIFE COMMUNITY.COMMON , PETTY , THIEF WITH THE MORALS OF A SNAKE. ! I WILL FOR EVER POLICE HIS E-BAY LISTINGS AND POST HIS QUESTIONABLE LISTINGS ON AAPK .TAKES ABOUT 5 -10 MINUTES A DAY . GREAT TRAINING EXERCISE !
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whoa Thomas. I didn't mean to upset you man. I'm glad you saw the humor in my post, cuz that's what was intended, but it seems to have struck a nerve with you, and for that I apologize. ::handshake:: Don't let Sporty's antics rent space inside your head buddy, he has no idea this is how you feel so you're the only one feeling upset, not him, and from what you posted it sounds like he's already extracted his pound of flesh from you, so don't let him have anything more from you, namely space in your thoughts. There are so many other more pleasant things to ponder! 8)
8)
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thomasg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:06 am
SPORTY IS A DISGRACE TO THE KNIFE COMMUNITY.COMMON , PETTY , THIEF WITH THE MORALS OF A SNAKE. ! I WILL FOR EVER POLICE HIS E-BAY LISTINGS AND POST HIS QUESTIONABLE LISTINGS ON AAPK .TAKES ABOUT 5 -10 MINUTES A DAY . GREAT TRAINING EXERCISE !
If you think Sporty is bad,there's sellers much worst. ::td::
Roger
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Not much worse. ::disgust::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:12 pm Not much worse. ::disgust::
Sporty has some good knives.There's sellers that sell nothing but fakes.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Agree, he does sell some good knives. Probably more good than bad, but if you buy from him you better know your stuff. His listings also “misdescribe” things sometimes, like saying it’s crack free when the pictures clearly show a crack. If you don’t know the brand, the pattern, what patterns are correct for that brand, etc, best just pass on by and not risk your money.

Like Roger says, there are unfortunately worse sellers. My I impression is he buys collections and resells everything in them regardless whether they are legit or not. Given the number of fakes sold on eBay there has to be a lot of collections that are significantly populated with fakes. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

CarMan

Post by CarMan »

Thomasg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:06 am
Thomasg wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:15 am I appreciate learning what & who to look out for but
If this Sporty is so bad how does he keep a 100% positive feedback?

CarMan

Post by CarMan »

I appreciate learning what & who to look out for but
If this Sporty is so bad how does he keep a 100% positive feedback? I’m new to this and curious.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

CarMan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:54 pm I appreciate learning what & who to look out for but
If this Sporty is so bad how does he keep a 100% positive feedback? I’m new to this and curious.
eBay feedback ratings are a joke. If the buyer is happy they give a high rating. If you know a knife is fake, you don’t bid. If you don’t know it’s fake, you bid and if you win, and the seller ships it to you quickly etc, you leave a high rating. You don’t know you just bought a fake. You’re happy. ::doh::

Even if the seller has say a 98% positive, and you take the time to read the negative feedback it’s typically that the item wasn’t shipped promptly, there was some type of dispute between buyer and seller, or other problem. Ever read a negative review saying the seller sold a counterfeit? I haven’t.

So the results are basically a reflection that the seller shipped promptly, and the buyer got what they expected. (See the part above about not knowing the item is a fake).

And that’s how a seller gets a 100% rating.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

CarMan

Post by CarMan »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:08 pm
CarMan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:54 pm I appreciate learning what & who to look out for but
eBay feedback ratings are a joke. If the buyer is happy they give a high rating. If you know a knife is fake, you don’t bid. If you don’t know it’s fake, you bid and if you win, and the seller ships it to you quickly etc, you leave a high rating. You don’t know you just bought a fake. You’re happy. ::doh::

Even if the seller has say a 98% positive, and you take the time to read the negative feedback it’s typically that the item wasn’t shipped promptly, there was some type of dispute between buyer and seller, or other problem. Ever read a negative review saying the seller sold a counterfeit? I haven’t.

So the results are basically a reflection that the seller shipped promptly, and the buyer got what they expected. (See the part above about not knowing the item is a fake).

And that’s how a seller gets a 100% rating.

Ken
Makes sense thank you
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

Hey everyone, I'm not familiar with those makes of knives -- at what makes them fakes? What tells do you see? Appreciate the learning opportunity. --mike
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

Looking at the ended ebay listings, he's marketing them as early 20th century manufactured dates. The blades look too knew, and stainless, for that. Is this the tell? For 20 years++ I've mostly bought new, so learning about vintage. Thanks for input.
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”