Hawkbill

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
winst

Hawkbill

Post by winst »

This one has superficial scratches for some reason.......tang stamp??? tang/scales has poor fit???
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hawkbill

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: It kinda looks like 70's-80's dyed bone, and these saw marks concern me . . .
Attachments
Screenshot_20230609-112916.png
Screenshot_20230609-112855.png
Screenshot_20230609-113129.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Knife looks okay to me. Rogers bone examples are harder to find.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks okay to me, based on the pictures. Rogers bone, stamp looks okay, no evidence of tang shaving or cold stamping that I can see. Looks like it has some hafting “sucking out” on the bolster. Picture looks like it may be right, but without having the knife in hand can’t be sure it aligns with shallow areas in the bone where it meets the bolster.

Ken

“Sucking out” where nickel silver bolster (NS is softer than bone) is removed during hafting should correspond to thinner bone area.
Attachments
IMG_5620.jpeg
IMG_5620.jpeg (87.84 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
winst

Post by winst »

I can't understand why someone would leave a blade with all these scratches. If their intention was to remove something and they had the means to so why not clean up the mess. The blade just don't appear to have any evidence of rust, stains or gunk????? As-a-matter -of-fact the blade steel looks more modern than tested era..
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

winst wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:30 pm I can't understand why someone would leave a blade with all these scratches. If their intention was to remove something and they had the means to so why not clean up the mess. The blade just don't appear to have any evidence of rust, stains or gunk????? As-a-matter -of-fact the blade steel looks more modern than tested era..
One cause for scratches on the blade like that is it was used to cut shingles. I recently acquired a Case large stockman that had scratches just like that on the blade and still had asphalt on the blade also.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I'm glad Ken and OC think it's okay. I do too but my track record here has suffered a bit lately and I was hesitant to go first. The high curved blade is typically Case. I have some like it. Good luck with it. J.O'.
winst

Post by winst »

Hard to believe someone would use this particular relic for cutting shingles but.........There is just something about the knife that had me puzzled. It maybe that after 80 yrs of age one gets somewhat suspicious of any relic that looks that good ::shrug:: MY BAD GUYS
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Scratches on the blade were possibly created 50+ years ago, before it became a collectable “relic”. Or whoever did it didn’t know it was a collectable knife. I talked with someone in the past week that didn’t know there is such a thing as collecting pocket knives. Much less that someone would pay more than $20 for a knife. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Just thought I'd post this pic of a similar hawkbill for those concerned with the bone. Looks very similar and the knife is from the same era:
Case Hawkbill.jpg
Eric

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”