Puma or Fake

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
NAllen731

Puma or Fake

Post by NAllen731 »

I picked this up a while back in an estate sale. I can not find anything on it,
20180318_091736.jpg
20180318_091752.jpg
20180318_091757.jpg
20180318_091809.jpg
I am concerned it is counterfeit.
kootenay joe

Re: Puma or Fake

Post by kootenay joe »

Why do you think it is not a Puma ?
It might be a contract knife because some of Puma's are. "Contract" means getting another knife manufacturer to make the knife and in this case, mark the knife with the correct Puma markings. If this were the case it is still considered to be a Puma.
With just a quick look i do not see anything suspicious, but i am not a Puma collector or even a 'fan' of these over priced average German quality knives.
kj
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

No Model number, no date code, condition is almost to good to be pre 1964 (although the rest of the knives in this lot were from the 40's 50's & 60's). I cant find this logo used on any other Puma's I have found on the internet. I cant find any examples of folding lever lock hunters on the internet.

I agree with the overpriced part. I plan on putting it on ebay and want to make sure it is not a fake before I do so.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks perfectly okay to me. I think it is a contract knife made by Weidmanns Heil.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

btrwtr wrote:Looks perfectly okay to me. I think it is a contract knife made by Weidmanns Heil.
Did you perhaps mean Weidmannsheil?
Attachments
Weidmannsheil Stag Trapper 2 Blade 2297-2.jpg
Weidmannsheil Stag Trapper 2 Blade 2297-2.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

jerryd6818 wrote:
btrwtr wrote:Looks perfectly okay to me. I think it is a contract knife made by Weidmanns Heil.
One in the same. In German it may be two words meaning Hunter's Luck or Hunter's Salvation.

The OP knife is a bit unusual in that it has a swelled bolster rather than a folding guard and the frame shape does not have a sharp cutout but rather a kind of coke bottle shape. Not the norm for this type of knife but similar to some made by Weidmannsheil.

Wayne

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

btrwtr wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
One in the same. In German it may be two words meaning Hunter's Luck or Hunter's Salvation.

The OP knife is a bit unusual in that it has a swelled bolster rather than a folding guard and the frame shape does not have a sharp cutout but rather a kind of coke bottle shape. Not the norm for this type of knife but similar to some made by Weidmannsheil.
Ignore me Wayne. I know little to nothing about German knives or the German language and the only thing I had to go on was the spelling on the knife I have. ::shrug:: ::facepalm:: ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

jerryd6818 wrote:
btrwtr wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Did you perhaps mean Weidmannsheil?

Ignore me Wayne. I know little to nothing about German knives or the German language and the only thing I had to go on was the spelling on the knife I have. ::shrug:: ::facepalm:: ::handshake::
Quite alright Jerry. I think your Weidmannsheil is the more often seen and accepted form. ::handshake::

Wayne

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I collect counterfeit Pumas;I'll take it off your hands! :mrgreen:
Seriously it looks fine to me.A lot of companies in Germany made this pattern and it (the pattern)is not a new one.Hubertus and Anton Wingen are the most popular versions and that made have even been made by Wingen for Puma.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

:D
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

Sold it the other day for much more than I expected. The guy who bought said he had a friend who is a Puma expert, I told him if he was not happy I would refund his money no questions asked. He sent me a message and loved the knife, Two happy people.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Sold it the other day for much more than I expected"
Over $500 ?
Knowing price range it sold for is a help to anyone looking for the same knife. It is rare enough that an ebay search would not be much help.
kj
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

It sold for 1250
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow !
I am out of touch with prices. Maybe my 6" Schlieper Swing Guard lockback is worth more than i thought too !
Thanks.
kj
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

I know. I had no clue how to price it so I went with a number I thought was stupid high knowing I could come down in a few days after I got some peoples attention. It sold in under 24 hrs.
Woodly

Post by Woodly »

kootenay joe wrote:"Sold it the other day for much more than I expected"
Over $500 ?
Knowing price range it sold for is a help to anyone looking for the same knife. It is rare enough that an ebay search would not be much help.
kj
I have an Anton Wingen I'd sell for half that ::groove::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't know which Wingen knife you are speaking of but there is a likelihood that for the Puma & Wingen lockbacks were made by the same manufacturer; i.e. one contracted out to the other. Even though they may be the same knife, people pay much more if marked "Puma" because of 'hangover' from aggressive marketing when Puma was introduced to USA in 1960's. The incorrect belief that Puma made the very best German knives still persists.
I see now as the time for Puma owners to cash in before the bubble finally bursts. But maybe it never will ? Not knowing is what adds much interest to knife collecting.
kj

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”