Legit old Winchester?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Eye Brand Man

Legit old Winchester?

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Let me know what y'all think of this Winchester. It's 3-7/8" closed. Bone looks good to me. Shield is double pined. The cover liners are brass and the center liner is nickel silver. Pattern number is 2016 or 2018 which I can't find in any of my books. Overall knife is well made, good walk and talk and fit and finish.
Attachments
IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG
IMG_2763.JPG
Eye Brand Collector
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Legit old Winchester?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I love Winchester knives. Seems like anything that Blue Grass Cutlery produced is beautiful.
I recently purchased a German made Winchester knife. It’s built like a tank, the snap sounds like two rams crashing horns together. Not really but it’s loud. Was curious about a German made Winchester, thought I would be disappointed, but the quality is quite nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not an expert re" Winchester by any means. I have only ever owned one.

But, that long pull on the master clip bothers me a bit. ::hmm::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

The more I look at it I think it might be a original frame with maybe a queen made blade from some of the reproductions they did in the 80's and 90's
Eye Brand Collector
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I started collecting Winchester's a year or so ago due to my interest in Keen Kutters and have amassed a small collection (about 30). For that reason I've been studying them pretty closely but obviously am no expert. Winchester's pattern number is blade number/handle material/pattern number, however, many pattern numbers don't seem to be documented. Winchester bought Napanoch then later Walden and therefore some patterns are Napanoch and some are Walden. This might account for some of the discrepancies in pattern numbers.

The pattern number on this knife is 2016 (2018?) two blade, celluloid handles, 16 (18?) pattern. Obviously, this knife has bone not celluloid handles, so the pattern number is inconclusive. I can only find a 2018 pattern, a celluloid dogleg jack, that knife appears to be Walden made.

In my opinion the knife is not a Walden pattern, for one thing the shield doesn't look like a Walden made shield, also, as noted above Walden used mostly common nail nicks not the long pulls, this is generally but not exclusively true, but still an indicator.

That leaves Napanoch, maybe someone more familiar with Napanoch made knives can supply us with an answer. I will say that the bone on this knife is not the distinctive X shaped Napanoch bone.

JMO

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”