Is this Really an early David Yellowhorse?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is this Really an early David Yellowhorse?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Just saw this and the ridiculous price. What do you think?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-X ... Swf8Fbmw6o

SSk
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (16.44 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this Really an early David Yellowhorse?

Post by peanut740 »

I think that is one ugly knife! ::barf::
Roger
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

peanut740 wrote:I think that is one ugly knife! ::barf::
Doesn’t it look like someon spray painted this silver and glued on those two stone? I have serious doubts about this being from any of the Yellowhorse folks. Unless it was an art project done by one of their 4th graders. David Yellowhorse Jr?

SSK
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Looks like the work of Bubba Yellerhorse. :lol: What a joke!
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Might be a "David Yellowhorse" but probably not the same guy. I researched my name once, and every other person with my name was a screwball. There are actually two people with my name in my family--my grandfather's nephew has a son who only differs in middle initial in name from me, and he's in all sorts of trouble, regularly.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
peanut740 wrote:I think that is one ugly knife! ::barf::
Doesn’t it look like someon spray painted this silver and glued on those two stone? I have serious doubts about this being from any of the Yellowhorse folks. Unless it was an art project done by one of their 4th graders. David Yellowhorse Jr?

SSK
Exactly!
Roger
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yuck.... It looks like David Fell-off-his-horse.
That hurts my eyes.

::barf::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Meridian_Mike wrote:Yuck.... It looks like David Fell-off-his-horse.
That hurts my eyes.

::barf::

Mike, Isn’t it amazing how someone would try to put this out there as made by David Yellowhorse? His starting bid was 1295. Either he was a fool or he thinks there is a bigger fool out there.
SSk
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

While I agree the knife is unattractive and without a signature or some sort of verification, I wouldn't buy it. But, David Yellowhorse did start out as a silversmith and if those handles are indeed sterling silver and the stones are inlayed, it's not that far fetched to think he COULD have customized that knife. There's no reason to think every knife he's done was a true work of art, especially in the early days. He likely had to learn what will and won't work, just like anyone trying to learn a craft.

A person might be able to get some info by contacting Yellowhorse Knives. They have a website, I've sent them a couple of messages over the years and they responded, although it took a while in both cases.

No it's not beautiful, but if it is worked sterling and the stones and shield are inlayed, it took a bit of effort to create it and I wouldn't automatically rule it out as a genuine Yellowhorse custom. Price/value would need to be negotiable regardless.

WB
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

whitebuffalo58 wrote:While I agree the knife is unattractive and without a signature or some sort of verification, I wouldn't buy it. But, David Yellowhorse did start out as a silversmith and if those handles are indeed sterling silver and the stones are inlayed, it's not that far fetched to think he COULD have customized that knife. There's no reason to think every knife he's done was a true work of art, especially in the early days. He likely had to learn what will and won't work, just like anyone trying to learn a craft.

A person might be able to get some info by contacting Yellowhorse Knives. They have a website, I've sent them a couple of messages over the years and they responded, although it took a while in both cases.

No it's not beautiful, but if it is worked sterling and the stones and shield are inlayed, it took a bit of effort to create it and I wouldn't automatically rule it out as a genuine Yellowhorse custom. Price/value would need to be negotiable regardless.

WB
That’s why I was asking. It’s primitive looking and I don’t know what his early work looked like. I wondered about the handle material. If it is silver, and that’s in doubt, then it just might be worth some good money. But honestly I think everyone who has seen this has had the same reaction, yuk.
Really hard to say. In his listing he says he was “told” it was David Yellowhorse by Jim Parker at a knife show. But has no documentation. So a lot of red flags for me.
SSk
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
whitebuffalo58 wrote:While I agree the knife is unattractive and without a signature or some sort of verification, I wouldn't buy it. But, David Yellowhorse did start out as a silversmith and if those handles are indeed sterling silver and the stones are inlayed, it's not that far fetched to think he COULD have customized that knife. There's no reason to think every knife he's done was a true work of art, especially in the early days. He likely had to learn what will and won't work, just like anyone trying to learn a craft.

WB
That’s why I was asking. It’s primitive looking and I don’t know what his early work looked like. I wondered about the handle material. If it is silver, and that’s in doubt, then it just might be worth some good money. But honestly I think everyone who has seen this has had the same reaction, yuk.
Really hard to say. In his listing he says he was “told” it was David Yellowhorse by Jim Parker at a knife show. But has no documentation. So a lot of red flags for me.
SSk

I wholeheartedly agree, without provenance, it's just an ugly knife and worth nowhere near the asking price. ::tu::

WB
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

If you notice where the seller purchased this fine work of art---need I say more?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

CANTHOK wrote:If you notice where the seller purchased this fine work of art---need I say more?

My thoughts exactly, but I haven’t had the experiences that others have had w/ this so I didn’t want to say anything. Reputation precedes a person.
SSk
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
whitebuffalo58 wrote:,,,,,,,,,,......WB

Really hard to say. In his listing he says he was “told” it was David Yellowhorse by Jim Parker at a knife show.
SSk
Whoa! I went back and re-read that listing and I don't believe he said Jim Parker told him that. He said it occurred at 'a Jim Parker show.' Lots of different sellers have tables .

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Paladin wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
whitebuffalo58 wrote:,,,,,,,,,,......WB

Really hard to say. In his listing he says he was “told” it was David Yellowhorse by Jim Parker at a knife show.
SSk
Whoa! I went back and re-read that listing and I don't believe he said Jim Parker told him that. He said it occurred at 'a Jim Parker show.' Lots of different sellers have tables .

Ray
Thank you Ray. I didn’t catch that. I don’t like running anyone down, and especially second hand.
SSk
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

I emailed Mr. Yellowhorse with pics of the knife.
Here is his reply.

Hello Allen...

I reviewed your pictures of the knife... it is not one I did...
Thank you,
David Yellowhorse

There's yer provenance right there
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BatJak wrote:I emailed Mr. Yellowhorse with pics of the knife.
Here is his reply.

Hello Allen...

I reviewed your pictures of the knife... it is not one I did...
Thank you,
David Yellowhorse

There's yer provenance right there

WOW! Thank you for that. I bet he was thinking a few choice other words for that hideous knife being attributed to him.
Nice going.
SSk
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

It is listed again, starting bid of $795 this time. Just my opinion, I do not find any of the Yellowhorse knives appealing.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”