Is this guy serious???

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is this guy serious???

Post by 1967redrider »

Check out this "silver swirl acorn" Remington without a punch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185189873507
Attachments
Screenshot_20211201-212828.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
espn77

Re: Is this guy serious???

Post by espn77 »

I looked at that. It's bone, can't figure out what is on the handles, never seen anything like that before
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Being someone who knows little about counterfeits, what about the knife do you find so outrageous John? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

It appears that silver paint/goo is trying to conceal some mighty big cracks. ::skeptic:: The old knife looks solid except for the bone handles.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A Remington having an acorn shield should have a punch. And visa versa. Which is what John was saying in the OP.

I’m not sure what’s going on with those handle covers ::shrug:: Whatever it is they’re not original to any Remington I’ve ever seen, from any era. I think I see some cracks in the bone - maybe that silver stuff is something like J-B Weld. ::doh::

Ken

Edit - looks like we are both seeing the same thing Philip. ::nod::
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ha!!
Isn't that just the liner with some shread of bone on the pile side?

Looks like a new pin on that bottom bolster holding the spey.
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That knife is a mechanic's dream. ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

But my main issue, like Ken stated, is the acorn shield without a punch blade. Nothing Remington made. I didn't even bother to look up the pattern number.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 am That knife is a mechanic's dream. ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

But my main issue, like Ken stated, is the acorn shield without a punch blade. Nothing Remington made. I didn't even bother to look up the pattern number.
Well, I'm totally in favor of carefully patching in a missing chip or two in a nice set of vintage bone scales, but this one takes it to a whole new level of "artistry"! Maybe we should call this modern bone art? ::facepalm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

herbva wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 am
1967redrider wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 am That knife is a mechanic's dream. ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Well, I'm totally in favor of carefully patching in a missing chip or two in a nice set of vintage bone scales, but this one takes it to a whole new level of "artistry"! Maybe we should call this modern bone art? ::facepalm::

Ever try soldering or welding bone cracks, Herb? ::shrug:: ::facepalm::

herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:16 am
herbva wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 am

Ever try soldering or welding bone cracks, Herb? ::shrug:: ::facepalm::
There is actually something called "cold solder", sold under various brands, which I think is a type of epoxy. Maybe that's what was used on this remmy? ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

It’s a beauty!
And folks are already bidding on it so I guess there’s a market for everything and a buyer for anything.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

He for sure don’t know about old Remington knives. Harold
just bob

Post by just bob »

Sorry, but that's just not true. Actually, Remington made a number of knives with punches that did not have an acorn shield. Their Purina knife is a prime example and I'm sure there were many other advertising knives that had a punch w/o an acorn shield. Some of the scout knives had punches w/o an acorn shield as well. There are some very advanced Remington collector's on here that could probably cite other examples.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

just bob wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Sorry, but that's just not true. Actually, Remington made a number of knives with punches that did not have an acorn shield. Their Purina knife is a prime example and I'm sure there were many other advertising knives that had a punch w/o an acorn shield. Some of the scout knives had punches w/o an acorn shield as well. There are some very advanced Remington collector's on here that could probably cite other examples.

You are correct, Bob. A Remington Scout might not have an Acorn shield, for example. But any knife with an Acorn shield has a punch blade. 😉

just bob

Post by just bob »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:27 pm

You are correct, Bob. A Remington Scout might not have an Acorn shield, for example. But any knife with an Acorn shield has a punch blade. 😉
The comment made by Ken and referred by you was - (Copy and paste)- A Remington having an acorn shield should have a punch. And visa versa. Which is what John was saying in the OP.

Wouldn't visa versa refer to a knife with a punch and w/o an acorn shield? I don't see another interpretation. Please explain.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

just bob wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:41 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:27 pm

The comment made by Ken and referred by you was - (Copy and paste)- A Remington having an acorn shield should have a punch. And visa versa. Which is what John was saying in the OP.

Wouldn't visa versa refer to a knife with a punch and w/o an acorn shield? I don't see another interpretation. Please explain.

If Remington put an Acorn shield on a knife, it had a punch blade. They wouldn't put an Acorn shield on a knife that didn't have a punch. They would, however, put a punch in a knife that didn't have an Acorn shield, like the examples you cited.

Think about it, I hope this makes sense. ::tu::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Bob is correct. I shouldn’t have added “and visa versa”. I believe the rest of the statement to be true - if it has an acorn shield it should have a punch. The OP knife, having an acorn shield, should have a punch.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well, there you go. I thought the old knife looked pretty solid except for the paint and broken bones, what do I know? ::shrug::
Haven't had the chance at too many Remington knives so if I run across a Remington with an acorn shield it best have a punch. I'll try to remember this. ::nod::
Treefarmer

just bob

Post by just bob »

This is from the AAPK Remington forum and very interesting information on this subject.

viewtopic.php?t=44921

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

just bob wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:30 pm This is from the AAPK Remington forum and very interesting information on this subject.

viewtopic.php?t=44921
just bob,
Thanks for digging that up for us, very interesting read! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

FRJ wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:51 am Ha!!
Isn't that just the liner with some shread of bone on the pile side?

Looks like a new pin on that bottom bolster holding the spey.
That eliminates the question of whether the blade or the shield is not orriginal.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure whether the silver swirl goop is holding the bone together or the bone is holding the goop.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
espn77

Post by espn77 »

btrwtr wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:41 pm Not sure whether the silver swirl goop is holding the bone together or the bone is holding the goop.
::woot::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

espn77 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 pm
btrwtr wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:41 pm Not sure whether the silver swirl goop is holding the bone together or the bone is holding the goop.
::woot::

Do you know if an R3563 is a Remington Stockman pattern, or is this a Case -18/-47 frame? ::shrug::

espn77

Post by espn77 »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Do you know if an R3563 is a Remington Stockman pattern, or is this a Case -18/-47 frame? ::shrug::
It's a Remington stockman.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”