Tidioute knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tidioute knife

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a knife that is bringing in some big bids on the bay. This knife looks to me to have all the characteristics of what we have called a Myrtlefaye, or Myrtlefake special. Named so for one of eBay's most prolific sellers of bad knives from the past.

The first thing I notice here is that the master blade doesn't open to a close to 180-degree flat plane when open. A bad sign.

Looking at the knife with the blades closed it appears to me that the master blade tip will fall far short of the rear bolster. A knife with blades this full should have the master tip reach to and beyond the rear bolster when closed. I doubt the master blade tip would reach the position of the rear handle pin when closed. Not there is no "blades in the well" picture that shows the blade tips when the knife is closed. This for me is one of the most, if not the most important picture needed to evaluate an old knife.

Looking at the close up of the blade stamps it looks to me that there could have been some welding going on.

All in all, this knife doesn't add up for me. Looks like there are enough bidders that like it though.

Other observations and comments welcomed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265504460528?s ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
Tiddioute 1.jpg
Tidioute 2.jpg
Tidioute 3.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RevolverGuy

Re: Tidioute knife

Post by RevolverGuy »

I am no expert on these but I am always weary when a seller has few pictures and a very short (one sentence) description. If I was bidding that much I would want to see photos of the springs and how the blades rest against the liner with an overhead shot.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wayne, thank you for posting these 'tutorials' that alert us to probable fake knives on ebay and explain to us what features make them suspect. I enjoy reading your posts and learning from them, and i am sure many others do as well.
kj
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:12 pm Wayne, thank you for posting these 'tutorials' that alert us to probable fake knives on ebay and explain to us what features make them suspect. I enjoy reading your posts and learning from them, and i am sure many others do as well.
kj
Agreed ::tu::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The auction just ended it sold for $412 with the shipping cost! :shock: :shock: ::facepalm::
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Wayne for the information. I was watching the knife not to buy but out of curiosity. Way out of my price even if it was a good knife! Just another learning experience on AAPK!!
Bill
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That master blade appears to be a good 1/2" short of reaching the bottom pin! ::facepalm:: ::doh:: ::mdm:: ::hmm:: ::td:: Thank you for your very informative description of what's wrong with that knife Wayne, ::handshake:: I jus' wish everyone was so descriptive! 8)
8)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great review, Wayne.
Thanks!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Wayne. The same seller has another knife listed, also having the same peculiar looking grind marks on the tang shoulder just above the stamp. I agree this could be indicative of welding to “fix” a broken blade. The weld was possibly put to a grind wheel to remove evidence of welding. JMO

Ken
Attachments
B2FC138B-3078-4183-9210-9568D99C0B27.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

I don't know what this straight razor is he's selling, but I'll bet a quarter it never came out of the Case factory. Kind of like an uncompleted project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265515433655?h ... Swm7Jh7dnB
Attachments
razor.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I think you guys have this knife figured out. What I don’t get is if you are going to weld another blade to the tang, why not one that is long enough. Harold
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

stockman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:49 am I think you guys have this knife figured out. What I don’t get is if you are going to weld another blade to the tang, why not one that is long enough. Harold
They don’t have to fool those who know better. They just have to fool a few who don’t.
::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

Thank you btrwtr for teaching what to look for on any knife, please keep sharing your knowledge ::handshake:: with a new comer ::tu::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”