A Suggestion For Those Who Post In The Counterfeit Forum

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Suggestion For Those Who Post In The Counterfeit Forum

Post by Miller Bro's »

A lot of these threads have a link to an ebay auction.

Nobody bothers to post an actual picture of the knife in Question from the listing.

I would like to suggest that if you are concerned about a particular knife, post a link to the auction AND a picture or two of the actual knife you are discussing.

Reason? Well after 60 days the auction link is no longer valid and if someone wants to review the archives in this forum they cannot see what the knife looks like that was being discussed.

I have recently begun posting pictures of recent knives being discussed, I wish everyone would do the same.

Good idea? Bad idea? Let me know what you think ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Ramrod

Re: A Suggestion For Those Who Post In The Counterfeit Forum

Post by Ramrod »

You are right. Great idea. ::tu::
Mark
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Good idea D.........................
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
trail

Post by trail »

That would be a big help for people reviewing the old posts. I don't have the expertise to post on this forum, but I read it every day and really appreciate what the old hands share. One thing that helps us less experienced collectors is when a poster gives explicit and complete reasons to back up his opinions on a knife. Of course it is helpful just to find out that the knife is wrong, but even more helpful to hear exactly what all the problems are. Regardless, it's pretty amazing how generous the people on this board have been with their hard-won knowledge.
road_warri0r

Post by road_warri0r »

Is there a way that this forum can keep a sticky list of BAD eBay sellers who continually sell altered knives. I am a member of a couple of car forums who keep ratings on buying and selling transactions, so you have a "list" sometimes called a "wall of shame" of unscrupulous sellers.
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Road, I think the general consensus is that we should not post a "list" here on the site, it's best for each person to compile their own personal list.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
superdavemack

Post by superdavemack »

great Idea Miller bros. and I have posted pictures from Ebay on knives that are questionable.....thanks for the post
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks to all who responded to this topic.

I see more and more posts including the actual picture of the knife being discussed.

Keep it up! ::tu:: :D
AAPK Janitor
buckeyefan

Post by buckeyefan »

Im with ya D ::tu::

Marty
The second mouse always get's the cheese..
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

I have trouble getting the Ebay pictures copied and saved for posting to the forum. Would you be able to post the instructions on how to do this?

All the different ways a seller can post pictures to ebay (auctiva, etc) can make it hard to navigate. Even pictures that aren't loaded to one of those sites are hard to get copied.

Thanks!
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knifegirl888 wrote:I have trouble getting the Ebay pictures copied and saved for posting to the forum. Would you be able to post the instructions on how to do this?

All the different ways a seller can post pictures to ebay (auctiva, etc) can make it hard to navigate. Even pictures that aren't loaded to one of those sites are hard to get copied.

Thanks!
I don't understand your delimma. Are you saying you don't have any success when you right click on a picture and select Save Picture As... ?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Gary was kind enough to tell me that if you change the name before you save it, it will capture the picture. It worked on the ebay picture I wanted to capture.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 62#p179562

THANKS, GARY!!
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

That's a good idea millerbro, that makes a lot of sense cause w/o
a pic the post is empty.
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Just a reminder, if you have a question about a knife on e-bay and provide a link, please add photos of the knife in question for future reference.

Lately there have been several links posted with no pictures.

AAPK Janitor
RDDP

Post by RDDP »

Adding a photo is a great idea in my opinion.
What I don't understand is why a list should not be made available of sellers who are consistently putting bad knives up for auction. I'm learning how difficult it is to identify counterfeits. I really bothers me that there are unscrupulous people profiting off unsuspecting collectors and not being called out on it.
It sounds like this has been discussed in older threads. I'll keep looking for that discussion.If anyone wants to point me in the right direction I'd be much obliged.
kitt3nmitt3ns

Post by kitt3nmitt3ns »

I went through every page last night of this forum, unfortunately not being able to see all the counterfeit knives that I'd loved to have seen what was wrong with them. I think this is a great idea and I hope everyone does start doing that!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kitt3nmitt3ns wrote:I went through every page last night of this forum, unfortunately not being able to see all the counterfeit knives that I'd loved to have seen what was wrong with them. I think this is a great idea and I hope everyone does start doing that!
I agree. ::nod:: It's not always possible, but when it is possible if you can post a picture of the suspect knife AND explain what is wrong with it, that will help educate everyone who reads the post as to what to look for to determine a knife isn't right. Even better, if you also have an honest knife as an example of what a correct knife should look like, post a picture of it and explain the differences between it and the fake.

Counterfeiters are a plague. We collectors need to do everything legally possible to make it difficult for them to make a buck via their dishonesty. The more educated collectors there are, the fewer suckers buying fakes and the less attractive it should be to produce and sell them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
SwiftyMcJ

Post by SwiftyMcJ »

Great idea. You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words ::tu::
pac52

Post by pac52 »

great idea. I've been trying. No success with my surface pro3
pac52

Post by pac52 »

was able to add picture.. To small
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I would like to remind everyone posting a link to an eBay auction under discussion to please post the pictures of the knife in question. There has been a lot of links posted lately with no pictures posted, the information will be lost after eBay takes the photos down. Thanks ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

Absolutely great idea Mr. Miller. I just rejoined after a couple years of relocating and buying/selling home(s). Glad to be back. I have couple faked Remington Girl Scouts - will try to photograph and post. I keep them around as a lesson to be more careful.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Bumping this again, it's been a year since I posted the last reminder.

Please, if you are discussing a knife on eBay post pictures of the knife!! years down the road these discussions are useless to the reader if there are no pictures to see what is being discussed!

I have seen a rash of topics recently with just a link to the knife, no pictures in the thread :( I have added pictures to several threads but I can't do them all. Thanks guys ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Miller Bro's wrote:Bumping this again, it's been a year since I posted the last reminder.

Please, if you are discussing a knife on eBay post pictures of the knife!! years down the road these discussions are useless to the reader if there are no pictures to see what is being discussed!

I have seen a rash of topics recently with just a link to the knife, no pictures in the thread :( I have added pictures to several threads but I can't do them all. Thanks guys ::tu::
Everyone should know by now we do like pictures.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Yeah, key word is "should".
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”