A Suggestion For Those Who Post In The Counterfeit Forum

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
TazmanTom18

Re: A Suggestion For Those Who Post In The Counterfeit Forum

Post by TazmanTom18 »

I've had luck putting items in my wishlist. They're stored there, unless pulled by Ebay, for future reference.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I wouldn't depend on ebay for any information you want to keep longer than about 90 days. Many of the pictures in ebay ads are not stored by ebay - the pictures are just links to outside image websites that are controlled by the seller, not ebay. If the seller deletes the picture, it disappears from the ebay listing. I have seen pictures disappear a couple of days after the auction ends.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TazmanTom18 wrote:I've had luck putting items in my wishlist. They're stored there, unless pulled by Ebay, for future reference.
I'm lost (a frequent event according to my wife). How does this prevent anyone from being a victim of counterfeiting? Maybe there's a trick I'm missing? ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

Just my method for tracking EBay, after posting is over, in case I want to reference item later, or follow bids, etc.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TazmanTom18 wrote:Just my method for tracking EBay, after posting is over, in case I want to reference item later, or follow bids, etc.
Ok I got that. Still don't follow how this has anything to do with counterfeiting. Are you saying it helps determine if a knife is counterfeit? If so, how? This thread is about counterfeits and how to help others not fall victim to them. I'm trying to learn if there's some technique I'm missing that could help me or others identify and avoid buying counterfeits ::shrug::

Sorry if I'm just dense. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
BWT

Post by BWT »

You aren't alone Ken, I didn't understand either and I have been this way since 1952.
Bill
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

One issue: who owns the photos on Facebook or eBay or whatever site they are from?

Couldn't this be an issue for AAPK?
richardross

Post by richardross »

The easiest way would be to upload the pictures to a webhosting site like IMGUR.com
richardross

Post by richardross »

56Dodgers wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:25 pm One issue: who owns the photos on Facebook or eBay or whatever site they are from?

Couldn't this be an issue for AAPK?
It depends who took the picture, but precedent basically says no. AAPK is not using their pictures to market a product or a brand, and never claimed them to be their own. Intellectual product is usually owned by whoever created it, aka took the picture, unless they produced it while working under contract for someone else.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Are people allow to save and repost ebay photos? How is that allowed?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

It is my understanding that copyright doesn't apply for educational purposes, and that's what we're doing here. If I'm wrong, please educate me, thanks.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

One thing I learned in writing my books is if a picture is in the "public domain" and has no copywrite restrictions attached to it, it can be reproduced. Another consideration is do you intend to profit from someone's work. I use company logo's all the time on my website to link to that company for information such as history. My website is non-profit because I don't sell or gain anything.

Like the pictures on Google Maps, they have the warning at the bottom that "images MAY BE subject to copywrite" but up at the top are the buttons to print or share the picture, so they're in the public domain and available for use. It can get confusing but I believe we're okay in this situation, it's simply for discussion. Just my thoughts on the subject.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”