Case 6488

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Case 6488

Post by just bob »

Attachments
ppppp .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case 6488

Post by gsmith7158 »

+1 ::td::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I should have added that if you look at his other items he has another 88 that may be worse than this one.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not the only terrible fake this seller has listed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Knives-Swords- ... davemonkey
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

C'mon man! You guys are killin' me!!
"Is this fake? I say, 'Yes.'" "So do I." "Yup, fake for sure."

WHY?!?!?!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Well for openers the bone and jigging is suspicious. The blades look new - not impossible on an old knife but should make you suspicious and warrant further close inspection. Then you see one blade marked W.R. Case Bradford, and another marked CASE Tested. Maybe an old transition knife from the W.R. Case-to-Case Tested era? Not with a shield from the XX era! ::barf:: ::barf::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That Remington sowbelly make feel bad for the people bidding on it.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Steve Warden wrote:C'mon man!
I think what Steve is trying to say is...

Screen-shot-2014-01-31-at-5.53.22-PM.png (119.42 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

XX Case XX wrote:
Steve Warden wrote:C'mon man!
I think what Steve is trying to say is...

Thanks Ken. Can't learn if people aren't willing to teach.
Much appreciated!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Interesting "pocket wear" on that one. ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Also,I`ve never seen a tested or earlier 88 pattern with regular nail pulls on the the two large blades. On a correct knife, the early ones, they would have long pulls. Bill
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

It looks like the seller has somehow hidden the "sold" listings. The link in the original post will still bring up the knife.

Below is an annotated picture highlighting explanations provided by Ken mumbleypeg and Bill cbfd along with a couple of my observations. Also included for reference is a picture (not mine) of a set of blades from a Case XX 6488 (wasn't able to locate a Tested 6488).

Upon initial glance at the original post knife, an experienced Case collector will know immediately via intuition the knife is wrong because it doesn't "look" right. Converting the intuition into an itemized list of exactly what is wrong takes a few minutes (for me anyway) to look a knife over from left to right, side to side, and top to bottom to work out the specifics of "why" the knife is not right.
Attachments
Case 88 Comparison.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Attaboy Ralph! Now we're gettin' edgumacated!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

espn77 wrote:That Remington sowbelly make feel bad for the people bidding on it.
The complete fake Remington 5 blade sold for $545. Crime does pay on eBay.

The two fake Case congress pens sold for $126 and $163, A fraction of what a comparable condition genuine example would sell for.

The tested green bone looks to have real blades, new handles poorly colored and jigged. Knife has been completely taken apart and reworked.
Attachments
rem 5.jpg
fake tst cong 1.jpg
fake tst cong 2.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Dontyouknow

Post by Dontyouknow »

6488 I bought the knife I guess I should have known but I haven't been collecting tested knifes I asked the seller before I got the knife was it the real thing and he said it was I guess I have a fake knife
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dontyouknow wrote:6488 I bought the knife I guess I should have known but I haven't been collecting tested knifes I asked the seller before I got the knife was it the real thing and he said it was I guess I have a fake knife
Welcome to AAPK. Sorry you got burned on that knife. If it’s any consolation, most of us including me have been burned at some time or another. Chalk it up to the “dumb tax”. ::facepalm::

If you’re like me, after I got burned buying a counterfeit it put me off collecting for a while. Then after I learned you can’t trust everyone, I decided to get educated. AAPK is a good place to start your education. Read through the posts in this “counterfeit watch” forum. Get a copy of Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery by Gerald Witcher. (Check with Knife Magazine, they may have it available for a reasonable price).

If you have questions about a knife post pictures of it here and ask. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful collectors here will be glad to give you their opinions and share what they know. This site is am amazing resource - learn how to use the “search” function. If you see a knife you’re thinking of buying, do a search here for the pattern. You’ll likely find examples of what it should look like, and maybe some comments about it also. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dontyouknow wrote:6488 I bought the knife I guess I should have known but I haven't been collecting tested knifes I asked the seller before I got the knife was it the real thing and he said it was I guess I have a fake knife
DYK welcome aboard. Sorry for you unpleasant experience. What is the old saying, 'good decisions come through experience. And where does experience come from? Bad decisions'. Hang around and read a few post and you can get your experience through others bad decisions. Knife collecting is a great hobby and like most it gets better with knowledge. ::handshake:: ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

We all probably have at least 1 "questionable" knife in our collection that taught us a valuable lesson. Mainly how not to get taken again, what resources to use and what to look for in future purchases. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Do your research first, ask questions and then pull the trigger.

Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK Dontyouknow.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I have never been burned.
Then again, I have never used ebay for anything, knife or otherwise.
While I know some folks have never had a problem, and have even walked into some great deals, too many horror stories for me to trust anything coming out of the 'bay.
All my knives are store bought or have been given to me as gifts.

So, my advice - NEVER BUY FROM AN AUCTION SITE, or always seek council of the wise before making ANY purchase.

It has always struck me as odd the people who will buy an off-the-wall brand X knife and THEN ask the question, "Is this brand any good?", often met with the response, "Brand X knives are garbage. Don't waste your money." Why not ask BEFORE you make the purchase?

::shrug:: ::facepalm:: ::shrug:: ::facepalm::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well Steve, it's kind of like me when i was starting out guitar and knife collecting. Didn't have a clue about either. Have learned a bunch since then. I think by now i would say i am an educated beginner.
JMHO
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Dontyouknow

Post by Dontyouknow »

Now that i have it and no it's a fake what to do with it?
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Dontyouknow wrote:Now that i have it and no it's a fake what to do with it?
Personally, I would destroy it to ensure to get it out of circulation forever. I did this to a fake that I inherited.
Other's will have varying opinions.
Here is a post where the subject of your question is discussed...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41658&hilit=Counterfeit

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I just went back and reread zp4ja's post he highlighted and thought if the knife feels good and is usable, make it an EDC but mark all the blades with a stamp indicating what really it is. If you lose it and it's found the finder will know what he has and with the blades so marked no one should be misled in the future. My 2 cents worth on this rainy morning. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi, welcome to AAPK. I suggest you return the knife and demand a full refund. Once you have your money back post negative FB stating clearly something like: "This seller has FAKE knives".
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

kootenay joe wrote:Hi, welcome to AAPK. I suggest you return the knife and demand a full refund. Once you have your money back post negative FB stating clearly something like: "This seller has FAKE knives".
kj
May be a little late.
That was about 6-1/2 months ago.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”