Case Tested 5143?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Tested 5143?

Post by herbva »

Does this look legit to you guys? A lot about it looks fishy to me, but maybe I'm getting paranoid after looking at too many fakes on this forum and the issues you guys astutely point out. I've never seen a stag handled "daddy" barlow before, but I think they do they exist, so this one attracted me. But, I've also never seen a 43 with bolster engraving like this. Perhaps is this one of the modern Case "Classic" remakes, and someone just removed the pattern stamp? Forgive me if there has already been a discussion about this one. Thanks.

Herb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-LARG ... rk:14:pf:0
Attachments
DSCN1297.JPG
DSCN1298.JPG
DSCN9096.JPG
DSCN9097.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tested 5143?

Post by btrwtr »

Not even close. You won't see a stamped bolster on a Daddy 43 Barlow. Stag and color of stag is wrong. Case did not make a stag tested 5143 Barlow.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Yep. Wayne said all the needs to be said about this knife.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Now that I look at the pictures more closely, it looks like the tang stamp was done freehand with a jewler's engraving tool. I told the seller: "FYI, the knife you are selling is an absurd fake." He replied that I was being rude! I see that the auction is still up.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”