Someone want to help me out here?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Someone want to help me out here?

Post by knifeaholic »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-mint-4 ... SwslJcauSU

I would like to have someone send the following question to this seller regarding this knife. I would of course do it myself but I cannot right now, for reasons that I will explain later.

Hi, are the handles on this knife original, did it come from the Case factory that way? Or were these handles put on recently?
Attachments
mmm.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Someone want to help me out here?

Post by btrwtr »

We both know the answer. Handles originally white slowly shrinking plastic and recently re-handled.

I sent the note and regardless of any response I'm pretty sure the seller doesn't care.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This should be interesting. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I'm confused. This link shows this fellow has already sold five of these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ca ... 1&_fosrp=1

Are you saying these are all re-handled fakes or is it something about the one in the OP that is suspect? I'm just trying to understand the issue.

Dennis
espn77

Post by espn77 »

The old red background has kept himself out of the counterfeit forum for a while.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

deo-pa wrote:I'm confused. This link shows this fellow has already sold five of these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ca ... 1&_fosrp=1

Are you saying these are all re-handled fakes or is it something about the one in the OP that is suspect? I'm just trying to understand the issue.

Dennis
Yes he has put out many of these, in the 00 melon tester and the 57 office knife patterns, maybe others. All rehandled, not original.

The commonality is that they were all older Case pocket knives that originally had smooth white composition handles. Handles removed and fancy pearl/abalone installed on knives that never had it originally.

The older smooth white handle material was not delrin, it was some other material VERY prone to shrinking and cracking, even on mint knives. So there are lots of mint XX through early 70's white handled Case pocket knives out there with mint blades and bad handles. Evidently someone is rehandling them to create these "fantasy" fake knives.

I did not want to be the one to ask him since I'm in the middle of a return dispute with the seller on a different knife (more on that later). But it ticks me off that he makes no mention of the fact that these are not original (in effect, lying by omission).
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

deo-pa wrote:I'm confused. This link shows this fellow has already sold five of these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ca ... 1&_fosrp=1

Dennis
Also, thanks for posting that link to the past auctions.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Seller's response:
They were put on by Painted Pony recently.
Bill
I would think calling the knife mint and advertising it in the Vintage Folding knives category might be a stretch for some.

Wayne

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

btrwtr wrote:Seller's response:
They were put on by Painted Pony recently.
Bill
I would think calling the knife mint and advertising it in the Vintage Folding knives category might be a stretch for some.
Then why didn't he mention that when he listed it? If a knife has been refurbished/restored/rebuilt it should clearly be stated.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

cody6268 wrote:
btrwtr wrote: They were put on by Painted Pony recently.
Bill
Then why didn't he mention that when he listed it? If a knife has been refurbished/restored/rebuilt it should clearly be stated.
Amen
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Old sportcolbs is at it again , your wasting you time with this guy , he has no conscience or morals and is just in it to screw people out of their hard earned money !!!
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have followed Bill Swan for years and purchased knives from him more than once. I don't think he is a bad guy. I do believe that he is getting increasingly careless in his descriptions and, dare I say it, perhaps a little foggy at times. And sometimes he doesn't know what he is talking about. But I don't think he is a bad guy.
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Tongueriver wrote, "I have followed Bill Swan for years......and I don't think he is a bad guy."
::dang:: ::teary_eyes:: ::facepalm::

Paul
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Your either honest or dishonest.
Not sure what kinda honest looks like????
Obviously I'm in the minority because he keeps selling knives and hasn't gone broke yet. I don't and won't buy to support him.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

espn77 wrote:Your either honest or dishonest.
Not sure what kinda honest looks like????
Obviously I'm in the minority because he keeps selling knives and hasn't gone broke yet. I don't and won't buy to support him.
::tu::
Roger
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I have purchased many knives from Bill in the past and I have not had any problems. However, I do think he should be careful about clearly pointing out any customization, in the auction description, as most of us are careful to do. I did send him an email about the the OP knife and this was his reply:

They have been rehandled by Painted Pony. Case never put abalone or pearl on them until recently. Replacing the scales would now cost $300 rather than what it cost me when they were done with inventory he had. So, needless to say, there won't be anymore after the current batch is gone.
Thanks,
Bill
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
just bob

Post by just bob »

I don't defend Sporty and I don't bid on his items. I do feel that he must have people working for him helping with the listings that know very little about knives. Some of the mistakes in the listings on his knives are just way off and a person with any knowledge on knives wouldn't be making these types of mistakes.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I too have purchased a few knives from Sportcolbs in the past, without any problem. I am however very careful what I buy from him (or anyone else for that matter). In his case you better look very carefully at the knife, not what the description says or doesn’t say. I haven’t tried to send anything back to him but have read here previously that he has a no questions asked refund policy. From what Steve has said, that is not the case. ::uc::

I’m left wondering how many of those who bought one of the OP knives thought they were getting an “unmolested” Case XX knife? And how many bought one knowing it was re-handled but liked it anyway. ::shrug:: Michael Prater customs are well respected, so why not just list them as such?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I took this seller off my buy from list years ago. I won't willingly put my money in a thief's pocket.

He will sell the obviously counterfeit, reworked and repaired all the same with no mention of the facts. OP knife is a good example. Buyer beware.

Wayne

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I sent a message to this seller several weeks sgo when I saw the first one he was selling. Obviously a rehandle. No question about it.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

I have notice an obvious discrepancy when some of our "good o boys" post a questionable knife as opposed to one we are not acquainted with. We tend to tiptoe around holding his item to the same scrutiny as we do the stranger's offerings. It's called a "DOUBLE STANDARD". There is a standard that we can embrace that is infallible---its called HONESTY.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

CANTHOK wrote:I have notice an obvious discrepancy when some of our "good o boys" post a questionable knife as opposed to one we are not acquainted with. We tend to tiptoe around holding his item to the same scrutiny as we do the stranger's offerings. It's called a "DOUBLE STANDARD". There is a standard that we can embrace that is infallible---its called HONESTY.
I would be grateful to see examples of the bad knives that were called good. It is not important to me to know who the knives belonged to.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

RalphAlsip wrote: It is not important to me to know who the knives belonged to.
I agree. I've posted knives I was all excited to show and told point blank it wasn't right. And I've expressed my piddly opinion on others I thought wasn't right.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

CANTHOK wrote:I have notice an obvious discrepancy when some of our "good o boys" post a questionable knife as opposed to one we are not acquainted with. We tend to tiptoe around holding his item to the same scrutiny as we do the stranger's offerings. It's called a "DOUBLE STANDARD". There is a standard that we can embrace that is infallible---its called HONESTY.
WTF?????
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

knifeaholic wrote:
WTF?????
::shrug::
Roger

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”