Sporty, Sporty, Sporty

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Sporty, Sporty, Sporty

Post by just bob »

This is another case where Sporty should certainly know better. In his item specifics he describes this knife as original, but the fact is I don't think there is anything at all original about it. The blades are mismatched. One has the diamond tang stamp and the other is straight line. Has anyone ever seen an original Russell Barlow without an R on the bolsters? The pins have been crudely peened and the knife has obviously been taken apart and put back together. Most likely the Russell blades have been put into this frame. The point is the man knows knives and buys huge collections at a time. Any person with that kind of knowledge should list an item like this as parts/ repair, calling it original is heresy and he should know better. Kind of makes you think he has others working for him doing the listings with little knowledge of knives?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Russel ... Swe~lchrGY
Attachments
russs .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
espn77

Re: Sporty, Sporty, Sporty

Post by espn77 »

That isn't the only bad one he has.
Attachments
20190313_081604.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The hits just keep on coming! How can this guy have a legitimate business listing things like this over and over without any remorse? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

just bob wrote:Kind of makes you think he has others working for him doing the listings with little knowledge of knives?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Russel ... Swe~lchrGY
If he does have others working for him he is still the responsible party in the sale. With so many bad knives that pass through his eBay listings I don't think he cares in any case.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

He lists 200+ knives per week. Can one person take all those pictures and pack them all up to be shipped ? I could not. He must have at least 2 or 3 people helping him. This does not take away the responsibility for the listings. I think Bill might be getting a little 'jaded', burned out & fed up.
I know he puts in a lot of time for the money earned and he has been doing this for a long time. Easy to understand how a person might end up 'caring less'.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Bill Swan's listings suck, and are getting worse all the time. But I do not think that he is in any way dishonest or disreputable. His business is in fail mode I think because of his age and poor help. Still... his groupies continue to pay 300% of market for his offerings. Caveat Emptor.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

kootenay joe wrote:He lists 200+ knives per week. Can one person take all those pictures and pack them all up to be shipped ? I could not. He must have at least 2 or 3 people helping him. This does not take away the responsibility for the listings. I think Bill might be getting a little 'jaded', burned out & fed up.
I know he puts in a lot of time for the money earned and he has been doing this for a long time. Easy to understand how a person might end up 'caring less'.
kj

Actually at least in my experience, listing 200 knives in a week is not that unrealistic for one person to do.

Starting from scratch, photos/descriptions and putting up the listings, I can (and have) put up 200 listings with about 2-1/2 eight hour days total of work.

Of course, if my listings were as skinny on descriptions and photos as Bill's are, I could do twice that many.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What about packing up 200 items ? It takes me about 30 minutes to pack up one box for shipping but i tend to 'over pack'. It would take me a week to pack up 200 packages.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s been a while, but IIRC the last time I bought a knife from him it was mailed it a small “bubble-pack” lined envelope. Just stick an address label on it, drop the knife in the envelope, seal it, and you’re done. Could probably do at least two or three a minute, including the time to print the address label. Especially with some automated software to print labels.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

My Mom always said, "if you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything at all".
Nuff said!

Paul
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The Barlow has a frame and bolsters that look an awful lot like my old Wolfertz. I am still not totally sure but my read of it points to a Camillus build.
Attachments
2019-03-14_07-38-43.jpg
2019-03-14_07-39-16.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”