Case Tested XX - To be or not to be?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.

Real or Real Fake?

Authentic
100%
Counterfeit
No votes

Total votes: 7

Jvaughn

Case Tested XX - To be or not to be?

Post by Jvaughn »

I didn’t want it to come to this. I was so excited to get a new (to me) Case Tested in the mail. But I was really surprised at what it actually looked like when it came in.

1. The pattern. It’s an equal ended jack knife. I hadn’t seen a lot of that pattern from case during the time period so I was intrigued.

2. The configuration. The pen blade in is the rear- secondary position. Is that normal? It feels awkward in the hand but maybe I’m just crazy. It also has no markings on the secondary blade.

3. The tang stamp. Looks totally normal 1920-1940 to me. Check it out and see for yourself

4. No shield and handle material. There’s no shield and it’s on Deleon type handles. It reminds me of a 70s Imperial. What do you think?

5. No pattern number- but I THINK it wasn’t common practice to have pattern numbers on a case until 1949 or so.

So guys...what do you think?
2394A86A-941E-4E6B-8A7D-4C631AB395BD.jpeg
72FE4918-E724-4B7C-B42F-1084B05E4E0A.jpeg
426BF44B-9974-4656-B470-6F485897B611.jpeg
823F8885-EE4A-4EC0-86C7-97983DB1959E.jpeg
Jvaughn

Re: Case Tested XX - To be or not to be?

Post by Jvaughn »

I meant Delrin handles*
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Knife is authentic.

Here is mine.
Attachments
IMG_6048.JPG
IMG_6058.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The pattern # for this knife is 22055. On your knife, the tang stamp is somewhat worn. Many Case patterns in the Tested era were made both with and without a shield.

On the majority of Case jack patters (there are some important exceptions), the pen blade will be in the back not the front. On the 055 pattern, the pen blade was always in the back.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I've always wondered how tang stamps get so worn down when no one ever touches that area on a pocket knife. Even my most abused EDC knives have tang stamps that are cleary readable. ::shrug::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Jvaughn

Post by Jvaughn »

knifeaholic wrote:The pattern # for this knife is 22055. On your knife, the tang stamp is somewhat worn. Many Case patterns in the Tested era were made both with and without a shield.

On the majority of Case jack patters (there are some important exceptions), the pen blade will be in the back not the front. On the 055 pattern, the pen blade was always in the back.

Thanks, Knifeaholic! Yours looks awful pretty! I’m still learning and very appreciative of people like you and this forum!
Jvaughn

Post by Jvaughn »

XX Case XX wrote:I've always wondered how tang stamps get so worn down when no one ever touches that area on a pocket knife. ::shrug::

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Jvaughn wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:The pattern # for this knife is 22055. On your knife, the tang stamp is somewhat worn. Many Case patterns in the Tested era were made both with and without a shield.

Thanks, Knifeaholic! Yours looks awful pretty! I’m still learning and very appreciative of people like you and this forum!
Sweet knife there, Jvaughn!

Steve, aka knifeaholic, aka Resident Case Expert, has a book Collecting Case Knives that is worth the investment.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Steve, aka knifeaholic, aka Resident Case Expert, has a book Collecting Case Knives that is worth the investment"
I strongly endorse this comment. Steve's book gives every Case pattern and explains what changes have occurred from when it was first made up to the present. There is a huge amount of very specific information that gives you some in depth understanding of every single pattern Case has made. And it is logically laid out and easy to read.
Everyone who collects USA folding knives should have this book. Even if you are not a Case collector you will still come across many examples and this book lets you know what you have found.
kj
Robo

Post by Robo »

kootenay joe wrote:"Steve, aka knifeaholic, aka Resident Case Expert, has a book Collecting Case Knives that is worth the investment"
I strongly endorse this comment. Steve's book gives every Case pattern and explains what changes have occurred from when it was first made up to the present. There is a huge amount of very specific information that gives you some in depth understanding of every single pattern Case has made. And it is logically laid out and easy to read.
Everyone who collects USA folding knives should have this book. Even if you are not a Case collector you will still come across many examples and this book lets you know what you have found.
kj
Ditto.

Nice Knife there, KJ! Love the top grind. And the black/nickel combo? doesn't get more elegant. thanks for sharing. It's a welcome relief to see guys NOT being ripped off on a knife around these parts.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”