Schrade Walden 2OT - Welded blade?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Walden 2OT - Welded blade?

Post by knifeaholic »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-WALDEN ... SwLrtdVy6Q

To me, it appears that the main clip blade has been welded - most likely an Imperial barlow clip blade welded to the tang.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Walden 2OT - Welded blade?

Post by tongueriver »

I don't know the finer points of this incorrect knife, but it is not a 2OT blade.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I probably would have not noticed that the knife had been repaired. ::hmm::
Can't comment on what blade was added but I will agree with you that it appears to have been welded. The pictures of the pile side show the weld even better than the mark side.
Wonder what caused all the marks on the repaired blade?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Philip mentioned the pile side so here it is for posterity.
Attachments
s-l16010.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

That looks pretty bad. ::facepalm::
Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote tf: "Wonder what caused all the marks on the repaired blade ?"
Yes, the odd deep 'scratches' on front side above the edge. The very worn pen blade has the same 'scratches'.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

This pic illustrates what a proper 2OT blade should look like.
2OT001.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That pile side picture is a dead giveaway. ::paranoid::

The pen is a grinder's nightmare. Why do people sharpen with a grinder??? ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Looks to me like someone used a file to sharpen the knife at some time, leaving the deep scratches in question.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I thought it was a wire brush on the end of an electric drill that left all the deep 'scratches' ?
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I believe you are probably right, Roland. A file would probably only have left scratches near the edge, not over the whole blade.
Dan
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Definitely a Welded blade & Most likely 2 different welds at 2 different time periods. 1st weld was lengthening the schrade tang & then 2nd weld was welding that clip imperial blade to that lengthened tang. UGLY!!! Otherwise the Blade would have been majorly short for this knife(Should have used a different clip blade altogether, not some Junker blade on this Wonderful antique knife to bring it back to life again). Pitiful Job!!!! I have been studying welding jobs for some time now so I can recognize stuff like this Better in my future.

I am adding a picture so you guys can better understand where the "welds" were done.
I seen MUCH BETTER weld jobs & this was certainly amateurish too me BUT whomever did this one,,,WILL get better as time goes on & he gathers more experience from His Welding Jobs.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
2OT001.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

That's definitely a weld job, looks like an ulster blade from a barlow or something.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

ratlesnake75 wrote:whomever did this one,,,WILL get better as time goes on & he gathers more experience from His Welding Jobs.
Mark
I hope your wrong Mark, that's all we need is more welded on blades.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

My Grandpa told me to beware of knives out of Kentucky nearly 40yrs ago, and this still holds true till today in a way. I know WE ALL have our own opinions on "Worked on" knives and that is within our rights to do so. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a welded blade or worked on knives to keep them as function examples of our history & to preserve them for our future generations to enjoy. If EVERYONE was HONEST we wouldn't have NEAR THE PROBLEM with "worked on" knives.

A good patch work for Large chunks missing or handle replacements for "gassed out" celluloid knives or "welded blades" for blades that were broken off at the tangs Etc. is OK in my book as all this is "Knife restoration" as is a "Cleaned" knife IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. However Keith, after a knife is "worked on" it should be represented as such & that is where things go awry for everyone. The more you study antique knives & counterfeits the more you realize what is going on but this holds true for everything in life right, KNOWLEDGE is Power as they say, lol. A "Welded blade" is not counterfeit at all. What makes it a counterfeit is when someone is trying to pass off a "Welded blade" knife as "Authentic Original". This is the deceiving part or LACK OF KNOWLEDGE of our beloved passion of knives for financial gain & I am not into that, but many folks are & that is where the more knowledge you have about your subject, the better off you are.
I dont want to start a "War" about what is right or wrong, This is just my personal opinion or my 2-cents worth
Kindest Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Welded blades are a complete no no in my book. ::td::
Roger
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Roger, You dont view welded blades as same as Patched handles or cleaned knives?
Just curious
Mark
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Sorry,I do not.
Roger
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thank you Mr. Roger for helping me to understand "Knives" & their conditions better. I totally revisited my thoughts on "welded blades" and now I understand alot better that there is no use for them except in deceiving & that is what folks are using them for. I too agree that you cannot sharpen a welded blade unless it was broken at the tang but even then, It should of been left alone so the knife stays "COMPLETELY" Original which is ALWAYS best Policy in preserving antique knives.
Never to old to learn & thats why we are all here
Kindest Regards,
Mark

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”