My problem with this Tested...

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Robo

My problem with this Tested...

Post by Robo »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193071258267

If you look at the photos below you'll notice that, with the blade in the same half-opened position, the tangs on the two Tested XX era 31095 toothpicks line up with the bottom edge of the bolster. On the knife in question there's a fairly large gap between the front edge of the tang and the bottom edge of the bolster. I've included a picture of an Imperial toothpick from roughly the same era. As you can see, the bolster on the Imperial is longer: 5/8" compared to the 095s which are 9/16". The tang width on both the 095s and the Imperial is roughly the same.

So if you stuck a blade you pulled out of a celluloid gas mangled 095 and stuck it in the frame of an Imperial you would get the appx. 3/16" gap you see in the picture. This is what leads me to believe this is a parts knife. To add to the confusion, the nail nick is fairly far past the peak of the clip on this blade. But that fact isn't enough to make me suspicious about the legitamacy of the blade as over all the eras, nail nicks tend to wonder slightly forward and aft of their intended position. The tang stamp seems legit but I make no claim to expertise in this area and happily differ to the tang stamp ninjas on AAPK to comment on that detail.

I have a good number of Imperials toothpicks as well as several A.A. Fishers; a Utica Knife and Razor, a Griffon, and a Judson--to name a few-- that Imperial contracted knives to. There are definately small changes to the overall size, weight, etc. of the knife over the years. But the size and shape of the bolster remained the same--as well as the overall shape of the handle die. I only own three single blade 095s and several --2095s and 2093s but they all have the same 9/16" bolster. The overall shape of these also remained the same throughout their existence*.

My conclusion: Buyer Beware! This looks to be a parts knife!

Note: I feel compelled to state that I'm casting no aspersions on the humble parts knife! I have made several of them myself and they serve me well in an EDC capacity. But when a seller wittingly or unwittingly attempts to sell one as the untainted, unmodified, factory original then we here on Counterfeit Watch owe it to the community to shout "Foul!"

Why is this a big deal? Sign up for a trial membership on Worth Point and search Case Tested XX toothpick knife. Study the selection closely and you'll find several Imperials dressed up in Tested costumes. This one isn't the first nor is it the last.

----------

* If that isn't the case and the bolsters on these knives lengthened in--say-- 1931 then I'll eat my crow a wiser collector!
Attachments
Imperial/Tested Parts Knife?
Imperial/Tested Parts Knife?
Imperial (note 3/16" gap)
Imperial (note 3/16" gap)
Tested
Tested
Tested
Tested
L to R: Tested, Tested, Imperial
L to R: Tested, Tested, Imperial
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: My problem with this Tested...

Post by JohnR »

Seller is one to avoid, has a long history of fakes and counterfeits .
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rob, thank you for taking the time to explain the concerns with the knife. It is pretty obvious the blade doesn’t fit like it is supposed to when presented with the comparison pictures.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

JohnR wrote:Seller is one to avoid, has a long history of fakes and counterfeits .
Agree. Not a seller I would ever buy from. Too many fakes.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”