Case 5380

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Case 5380

Post by just bob »

I'm guessing the master blade has been replaced on this. If so does that make it a counterfeit knife?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-xx/333328 ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
6380.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case 5380

Post by knifeaholic »

I don't think the master blade has been replaced, so much as someone took a 4 dot 6380 with bone handles and replaced the bone with stag. Case never made a 5380 prior to the 1980's. The few 5380's made in the 1980's were limited editions with stainless blades.

So any older style 80 whittler with stag handles is automatically a fake or rework.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Multiple times around for the OP knife. Good eye!
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... lit=5380en

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Seller admits it might be a fake. However, he starts the bid at $250? That is something!

Bob
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Perhaps I am reaching for something to find with this knife because of the odd/highly unusual aspects of this knife. I agree that it almost certainly had bone scales that were replaced with stag. Among other things, I always look at the shield inlay because I have so much trouble doing a good job with that myself. I think the glaring gap between the shield and the scale in the first pic is a dead giveaway. Again, I may be reaching. ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

herbva wrote:Perhaps I am reaching for something to find with this knife because of the odd/highly unusual aspects of this knife. I agree that it almost certainly had bone scales that were replaced with stag. Among other things, I always look at the shield inlay because I have so much trouble doing a good job with that myself. I think the glaring gap between the shield and the scale in the first pic is a dead giveaway. Again, I may be reaching. ::teary_eyes::
Good point...but again the fact that Case never made any 5380's in the 70's or prior, makes this one a fake even if the shield had been installed properly.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”