Old Case Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Old Case Knife

Post by just bob »

How about this old Case knife? I don't know if it is right or not, but it looks like the shield has been repinned and then the rocker pin had been peened and the pins holding the handles on have been spun.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-CASE-XX- ... Sws59dLLUw
Attachments
old case.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Case Knife

Post by btrwtr »

Strange that it has double center liners. I have no idea if this could be correct. It's possible the shield pins are okay given the knife is consistently very well worn. A knife this old with so much wear could have been through some changes. Other than that it looks believable to me. I think the price is far beyond ridiculous.
Attachments
W R Case 6488.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

My opinion is that the knife was put together out of parts.The Blades appear correct,but not the frame.It looks like a newer frame that has been rehandled with old bone.Just my opinion,I`m not any expert! Bill
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The price is beyond ridiculous.
Is it the same guy with the bad barlow?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Picture of WR Case 6488,tested 88`s have a similar frame, so do early XX`s. I believe a Bradford era 88 would be the same. It is hard to tell for sure from the EBAY pics,but it appears to be a newer style frame even though it has recessed bolsters.not really hard to accomplish with the knife apart!
Attachments
P1000943.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I believe the frame, handles, bolsters, shield and shield location are correct for this age knife.

Wayne

Andy w

Post by Andy w »

Some of you have missed it completely, the knife is 100 percent legit!!! Willing to put money where your opinion is? We can meet up at case historical museum and have it checked out😁😁😁 I do own that KNIFE I've sent it to case had it checked out. I have turned down smart a-- offers of little to nothing and have a 5 figure offer in writing. One fella said that's where 2 fool's Met, I said I don't have to sell 😁😁
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Sadly, there is NOBODY at Case who knows much if ANYTHING about old Case knives. Steve Pfiefer (knifeaholic) knows more about old Case knives than anybody at the Case factory or museum.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

cbfd wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm My opinion is that the knife was put together out of parts.The Blades appear correct,but not the frame.It looks like a newer frame that has been rehandled with old bone.Just my opinion,I`m not any expert! Bill

I agree will Bill ::td::
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 pm Sadly, there is NOBODY at Case who knows much if ANYTHING about old Case knives. Steve Pfiefer (knifeaholic) knows more about old Case knives than anybody at the Case factory or museum.
Amen to that! There are many people here that know more about old Case knives. If I wanted a knife authenticated I'd bring it here, not to Case. They are business people not experienced collectors.

Wayne

just bob

Post by just bob »

We have an AAPK member by the name of Tom that has written a book on older Case knives. Where is he?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

just bob wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 am We have an AAPK member by the name of Tom that has written a book on older Case knives. Where is he?
Well that’s me Bob and I am happy to comment. In my opinion the knife is correct in every way. It is an old knife that is bound to have seen some wear that has affected the pins in both the bolsters and shield. To me the wear seems even on all parts of the knife. As far as the pins being spun, some Bradford era “1915-20” did in fact have spun pins although most of course do not. The shield with the raised letters is typical for the WR Case Era “1905-15 and early Bradford era. The Bone looks correct to me as well as do the pinched bolsters.
I have a W R Case & Sons 6488 that indeed does have 2 center liners as Wayne mentioned but all did not, why, no one knows.
My book,” XX and MORE, Case & Case Related Knives before 1920”has a picture of my W R Case & Sons 6488 and it is featured in a post on our Facebook page with the same title.
That being said my book has a price guide included that has a MINT value of $20,000.00 for the OP knife and a a section to adjust for condition which can be very subjective of course. Certainly the OP knife is far from mint so I personally would value the OP knife much much less than the asking price but I do feel the knife is authentic and correct given what I can gather from the pictures provided. Nothing like having the knife in hand to further evaluate it.

Tom
Andy w

Post by Andy w »

Thanks Tom
Andy w

Post by Andy w »

Olderdogs1 I do appreciate your offer you made on ebay, its just that I don't have to sell...I like knives I've bought $40some odd thousand dollars worth this yr. I will sell but don't have to. Again I appreciate your comments and offer
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Wouldn't it be neat to ask the feller that bought that ole wore out knife new and then used it ,what he thought about the asking price. Of course if we could bring back our grandpas they'd think we all went nuts anyway. ::nod:: ::woot::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”