Case 6347 SP P with no discernible tang markings

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
East Branch Knives

Case 6347 SP P with no discernible tang markings

Post by East Branch Knives »

I got this knife because I liked the swedge on the main clip blade. The springs and blade appear nice and old, although the main clip blade appears to have been cleaned up a bit, except for inside the knick, the top of the swedge, and a small bit at the end of the tip on the pile side. Any opinions?
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg
just bob

Re: Case 6347 SP P with no discernible tang markings

Post by just bob »

Maybe it's just the pictures but is the master blade short? Also looks too wide? Odd that the tang stamp isn't readable. Maybe a huge red flag?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Main blade is not "right".
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I suspect that the clip is a replacement. It doesn't appear to be the right shape, doesn't have the same patina/age appearance as the other blades, and looks like it has been treated to a good sanding.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'm no expert, but I agree, the main blade doesn't look "Case."
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Yes, certainly looks like a master blade replacement.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: That main blade looks a little too short and fat to me to be a Case -47 main.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The master blade is not original to the knife. Whether it's an intentional counterfeit or just an attempt to salvage an otherwise usable knife depends largely upon where and how it was obtained, and what was paid for it.

A counterfeiter typically would have stamped the master blade with a "Case" stamping in an effort to pass it off as a legitimate old Case knife. Someone just salvaging a knife to make it useful wouldn't bother to stamp it. The fact that whoever did it apparently ground the original stamp off the blade puts it in a gray area. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
East Branch Knives

Post by East Branch Knives »

Thanks everyone for the info! I paid 18 bucks for this knife. Ironically, I've never been too big a fan of Case stockmans because of the narrow, swedgeless clip blades, so when I saw this one with a short fat clip sporting a pronounced swedge I figured I'd pick it up, but thought it might be suspect. I also liked that the springs had that great, subtle carbon steel pitting that really shows the age of a knife.

It would be nice to know where the replacement clip blade originated. It also looks pretty old, and I may do an HRC test to see if it's got a decent heat treat (to the extent one can tell based solely on Rockwell hardness).

The conclusion that the clip is a replacement is further supported by the fact that it's got mushy/gritty walk and talk and some side-to-side wobble. Whereas the spey and punch blades have great snap, strong pulls and no wobble. At least it's nice to know they appear to be original.

Thanks again for the replies. I've really learned a lot from this forum and am pleased to have finally become a participating member.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”