Bad Case Knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Bad Case Knife?

Post by just bob »

I know that this is the hook used on sporting knives for bird hunting, but don't think I have ever seen one in a Case knife and especially not one with that tool only. Most of the other brands have a knife with a blade. Real or factory sample? I vote no because the tang isn't stamped and also the pin on the top end doesn't look factory to me and it doesn't match the bolster at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-Hook-No-n ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
aaa .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bad Case Knife?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Having a folding knife with that hook as the only implement is nothing but bizarre. I can't imagine that it is original, especially with no tang stamp or markings.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very strange. Looks like maybe a "shark tooth" frame without the blade, but a gut hook as a replacement. We all know what the gut hook is for, but how do you use it without a blade? Also, no pins through the scales. ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Two theories.

Case offered a bird hook for the XX-Changer, or someone modded one to fit the XX-Changer, or perhaps got it from a knockoff that used a similar socket.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Is it a Changer? Hold the lock fully pressed and move the hook by hand to see if it releases. But I thought Changers were flat? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:21 pm Is it a Changer? Hold the lock fully pressed and move the hook by hand to see if it releases. But I thought Changers were flat? ::shrug::
The OP knife is now on Ebay. The pictures below of my XX Changer shows the similarity, the handle is somewhat flat. Maybe someone made their own bird hook interchangeable blade for the handle shown which is actually a lockblade handle. Makes a knife as it is shown rather useless. The pivot pin in the OP knife is different too. Hard to tell what it is.
IMG_3317.JPG
IMG_3318.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The OP knife has the profile of a Case Hammerhead (P159L SSP), but the handle covers on the Hammerhead were flat and had three brass pins, which the OP doesn’t have. There was another version of the Hammerhead that had black plastic handle covers. Both were 5 inches. Maybe whoever modified it to add the birdhook also changed the handles. Case has made it with other handles including stag and bone so maybe the handles are original. ::shrug::

Over the past several years at least, Case has ocassionally produced the 47 pattern with a birdhook (6247H). There was at least one release with Ducks Unlimited handles.

That birdhook on the OP is not from one of the 6247H knives though!

Ken
Attachments
D95608F6-2A90-4FA0-B5CC-CC9D5BEDBF7F.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

What I noticed was that the bird hook was completely flat. On those I've seen that have bird hooks (Buck, Camillus, Case, Boker), the end of the bird hook had a round profile. On this knife, it's completely flat. So, could someone have either reprofiled the blade, or perhaps machined that blade?

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”