Fake BUCK knife??

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Dirty5thirty

Fake BUCK knife??

Post by Dirty5thirty »

Sorry in advance. I am new to knife collecting and tried to find some info on a knife that I recently purchased. I was unaware that Chinese counterfeit was so widespread in the higher/mid grade knives. Is there a way to tell real from fake? The letters are capitalized, but there is no model #, anvil, date stamp, etc. It seems to be high quality. Is it real? If so, which model and time period? If someone can just point me in the right direction, I don't mind doing some research. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
20200203_090721.jpg
20200203_090652.jpg
20200203_090628.jpg
20200203_090608.jpg
20200203_090603.jpg
just bob

Re: Fake BUCK knife??

Post by just bob »

I don't see a knife like yours on here but there are a lot of knock offs.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fak ... m.1249369/
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

It's not a fake. What you have is an early model 119. These came with the flap over leather sheath and had reddish-brown colored spacers on the guard and pommel. Buck did not stamp with model numbers or date codes back then. The material used in those spacers is what will help date your knife. If they are a hard fiber your 119 dates from 1963-69. If they are micarta with 2 spacers on both pommel and guard then it will be 1970s. One micarta spacer on pommel and guard dates to 1980s.

There's also another way to date by what is on the tang stamp.
An early Buck with only "BUCK" on it is pre-1968.
Two lines (BUCK, USA) were from 1968-1972.
Three lines (BUCK, model #, USA) were from 1973-1981.
Date codes were added after 1981.

Not sure what material it is but from pictures it looks like hard fiber. And you have a two line model, so could be 1968-69.

Buck has a rich history and you can search more online and find out what steel your knife is made of.
Dirty5thirty

Post by Dirty5thirty »

Thank you very much for your insight. That give me a lot more to go off of. I will do a bit more research.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice vintage knife. Looks unused. Definitely not fake.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Looks real to me. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Dirty5thirty wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 am Thank you very much for your insight. That give me a lot more to go off of. I will do a bit more research.
Here you go...https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”