Case Tested Cattle Knife (maybe 6345 1/2) Opinions Please

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Tested Cattle Knife (maybe 6345 1/2) Opinions Please

Post by herbva »

The seller doesn't mention dimensions, so I am guessing this is a 6345 1/2, but I am not sure. I'm also guessing the handle material is "gumfuddy" composite, but I'm also not sure. I'm not making any accusations, but the tang stamp looks a bit wonky to me, especially the "Tested" line, and would appreciate opinions. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Tested-XX ... SwOmBec8Hw
Attachments
DSCN9151.JPG
DSCN9153.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
RalphAlsip

Re: Case Tested Cattle Knife (maybe 6345 1/2) Opinions Please

Post by RalphAlsip »

My opinion is that the knife is a legit 6345 1/2 with composite handles as you suggested. I have read speculation this particular configuration was for use in WW II as a low cost reliable utility knife. The knife looks to have been polished some. My thought on the stamp is that it wasn’t fully polished and the remaining carbon obscures the lettering.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tested Cattle Knife (maybe 6345 1/2) Opinions Please

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Usually the last thing I look at on a knife is the stamp. The rest of the knife looks ok to me and I’ve seen other HOK with similar stamp effects. Some of these were made with jigged composition/hard rubber handle covers during the war for the military and/or a shortage of bone. They are not considered “rough black” however due to no “worm grooves” in the jigging pattern. JMO, it’s not a pattern I collect so will be interested to hear what others say.

Ken

I see Jerry replied while I was typing. At least we agree! :lol:
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”